PDA

View Full Version : Rule Set Question

Sidius326
August 19th, 2010, 10:24
Hey folks, I just recently purchased the Full edition of Fg2, and am so far loving everything about it. I was a little baffled at first, I had so many questions- but thankfully the video tutorials cleared the majority of them right up. Unfortunately, I'm still very lost in the rule set / library department.

I notice that I actually have monsters, items, etc load in the library when I run 3.5- however, I'm trying to get something similar for 4.0. I've been lurking all over the web whether it be fouruglymonsters, here, or just google. I think I just don't know what I'm looking for. I read something about Parsers, but I have no idea what those are either. I guess I'm just pleading for help at this point. If someone could please point me in the right direction with a working link, that'd I'd be deeply great-full.

- Sid

Stitched
August 19th, 2010, 11:06
If you bought the license for FG2 then the 4E ruleset installs with the software.

When you create a new Campaign, one of the choices should be the 4E ruleset.

Sidius326
August 19th, 2010, 11:08
It is, but I was referring to the library features such as a monster / item list. When I run 4e it doesn't seem to come with those installed. 3.5, on the other hand does.

Stitched
August 19th, 2010, 11:11
I think it's illegal to distribute those things since the ruleset is not sanctioned/sold by Wizards of the Coast.

What you CAN do is use the 4E Parser to scrap monsters, items, etc. from the most of the published 4E sourcebooks but it only works if you have a DDI account or lots and lots of free time cutting and pasting text.

I'd go the DDI subscription route if you want to play/GM 4E.

It is, but I was referring to the library features such as a monster / item list. When I run 4e it doesn't seem to come with those installed. 3.5, on the other hand does.

Sidius326
August 19th, 2010, 11:18
Ah, I see- spose' copy and pasting the rich text isn't as bad as manually making an entry for each.

Any other suggestions though would be great... Was hoping to get the Ultimate edition soon, trying to save a bit of money before then.

Griogre
August 21st, 2010, 01:38
I think it's worth it to get a month's subscription of DDI to parse the 4E modules you want. It will be a great deal more effort inputting the data by hand. It is certainly possible to do it by hand, but who likes data input especially if it cuts into your game time?

If you want to do it by hand have the players input the actual text of the powers they use on the powers tab and then have the ruleset parse the text to get the proper power effects, to hit and damage. The DM can, over time, just input the monsters as he needs them. Scraping the date from the DDI compendium will save you hours and hours of work though and I think a one month subscription is like $15?

GunnarGreybeard
August 21st, 2010, 02:20
Originally I got the DDi subscription just to get access to the content to parse the primary manuals BUT I have kept renewing so as to get access to both Dragon and Dungeon magazines in PDF. The sad part is, I don't even play 4e but I do take the materials I have access to and covert them for use with my FGII Rolemaster campaign.

If you are a 4e DM/player I would highly recommend getting a short time subscription, long enough to get access to and "scrape" the content you need. IMHO, it would be well worth it.