PDA

View Full Version : Problem downloading campaign files

aurore
August 13th, 2010, 23:23
This is an odd problem

I try to connect to a friends pc with FG2. That happens fine. Then it tries to download campaign files. It starts, downloads a random amount between 10% and 50% and then stops. Occasionally if left it will resume and download a little more then stop, usually permanently.

So I restart it, and it tries again with similar results. And again and again and again. Sometimes it might get 3/4 of the way. It doesnt stop at the same point.

Eventually after hours and hours of trying and occasionally days apart it will finally succeed, usually all at once pretty quickly.

This happens every time. I have reinstalled FG2, I have made sure the various ports are set both in sofware and router firewall, i have placed myself out of DMZ though i never have problems with other things, and nothing has made any difference.

If FG 2 at least recoded progress and resumed a download rather than restarted it, it wouldnt be a problem since id get the whole thing in a couple of tries. But as it stands im rapidly losing patience after several game evenings have had to be abandoned as a result.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated. Before suggesting firewall related things, remember the campaigns will eventually download all the way, after many many many tries, so whatever the problem is, its not blocking the connection.

Griogre
August 14th, 2010, 00:05
I'd first try connecting with a different user name and see if there is any change. There are some odd things that happen with old campaigns that started a while ago where the player end's up owning a lot of campaign bits like images that causes them to be transfered to the client on connection. If it is this problem then changing your log in name will stop that. If that fixes the problem then have your GM free the character so you can select it with your new login name. This problem will just "go away" when the GM starts another base campaign.

It could also be your campaign cache may be corrupted. I would suggest moving it to the desktop and then reconnecting and seeing if there is any difference. This will force a full rebuild of the cache. You can locate the cache file by Pressing the Start Button -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder.

This will pop a window with a list of folders. One of the folders should be called cache - double click on it and you will see a list of campaigns you run or play in. Look inside the campaign folder that is giving you problems and you should see one or more dat files. Move the dat files to your desktop or delete them and then connect to the host and see what happens. The campaign data will have to all be transfered again and the cache rebuilt which will fix any corruption problems.