PDA

View Full Version : [Question] AD&D 2ed - Combat and Tactics - Phases

silvereagle72
August 13th, 2010, 22:06
Has anyone found a way to effectively use FG2 to track the phases aspect of 2nd Ed AD&D's Phase system? Is there some kind of easy patch or something that would allow the combat tracker to go through phases in addition to rounds? It might be quick and easy, or it might be a major pain in the you-know-what.

Thank you in advance.

-SE

P.S. I appologize right now for all the potential questions... On the surface, this system looks spectacular, and I find myself seriously considering the Ultimate license (so that my players can enjoy without having to incur additional costs themselves), but it's potentially such a big chunk of change, that I'm trying to gather as much data as I can that this will do everything I need it to. The demo is nice, but not very helpful in seeing the 2nd ED AD&D side.

Moon Wizard
August 13th, 2010, 22:32
Currently, the 3.5E and 4E rulesets are included with FG.

Also, there is a community built ruleset for AD&D (not sure which version). You can send a PM to the creator, Unerwünscht, who built that ruleset to see what version it is and whether it supports phases.

The combat tracker as it is built for 3.5E and 4E would require a fair knowledge of ruleset coding to rework it into supporting phases.

I know that at one point there was a ruleset developer on the forums who was looking into a phase-based combat tracker. I don't think it was for D&D, but for another game system. Perhaps some of that work could be reused.

My general thought is that you would change the combat tracker to resort to lowest value on top (i.e. top combatant is always the active one). Then, you would have to include a way for the GM/players to add a value to the correct CT entry when they took an action. Of course, my 2E D&D is so rusty, I may not even remember how it works at all. ;)

Cheers,
JPG

silvereagle72
August 13th, 2010, 23:26
Thank you very much! I'll see what Unerwünscht has to say.

-SE

Zeus
August 14th, 2010, 20:30
Here's a thought, if the Phases of 2nd Ed D&D can be mapped to a decimalised point system (e.g. .1 to .9) its possible to deliver pseudo phasing integration into the CT's current initiative system using real numbers as Initiative entries instead of just a whole number.

e.g. Entry 1's Initiative is 20, Entry 2's initiative is 19 and Entry 3 is 18. CT's which use highest Initiative to sort the entries into order would produce:

Entry 1
Entry 2
Entry 3

If we change Entry 3's initiative to 19.6 the order becomes:

Entry 1
Entry 3
Entry 2

silvereagle72
August 16th, 2010, 17:23
I suppose I could also do it by creating a set of 'personalities' with the names of each of the phases, then as each of the phases passes, can change the initiative to a lower number than the characters, to indicate its up. So at least its clearly tracked that the phase is up and/or passes. (not as nice as it being automatic, but potentially doable.)

-SE