PDA

View Full Version : Can't host games (fail connection test)

gelbar
August 11th, 2010, 12:52
I haven't used FG II in a while and now I can no longer host. My players can't connect to my machine. I would appreciate some help since the solutions I've found in this forum and on the Internet at large haven't solved the problem.

I've set port 1802 to forward to my host machine (xxx.xxx.x.115) using TCP in my router. This used to work just fine.

Here are some quick tech specs in case this helps:

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
Windows Firewall on (but FG is allowed to pass through)
Linksys WRT160N router (the host pc is hardwired to the router)
Running MS Security Essentials (this is new and I wonder if a problem?)

Thank you for any help you folks can provide!

Zeus
August 11th, 2010, 15:27
Check the IP address on the machine hosting FGII and make sure its still using xxx.xxx.xxx.115. If your using DHCP to provision an IP address automatically this is the most likely reason why the players are not able to connect, the IP address has changed.

Ensure your using a statically assigned IP and then ensure this IP address is the one your router is configured to forward connections to.

gelbar
August 12th, 2010, 01:00
Thank you for the quick reply!

I have done that, assigning a static IP from my router to the PC so it doesn't change on the PC side. The "Connection Test" in the Fantasy Grounds client, however, continues to fail.

Any other thoughts?

Spyke
August 12th, 2010, 06:42
First try dropping your firewall briefly to rule that out, and check that you don't have a second firewall somewhere.

Next take a look at the port forwarding settings for your other programs on your router. You may find that port 1802 is included in a range for another application, and that line is taking precedence over the one you've set up for Fantasy Grounds.

Spyke

Matchstick
August 13th, 2010, 17:19
I haven't used FG II in a while and now I can no longer host. My players can't connect to my machine. I would appreciate some help since the solutions I've found in this forum and on the Internet at large haven't solved the problem.

I've set port 1802 to forward to my host machine (xxx.xxx.x.115) using TCP in my router. This used to work just fine.

Here are some quick tech specs in case this helps:

Linksys WRT160N router (the host pc is hardwired to the router)
Running MS Security Essentials (this is new and I wonder if a problem?)

Thank you for any help you folks can provide!

That's almost exactly what I'm running, let me think about what I did.

I have Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate (or whatever). I'm running Security Essentials as well, I don't recall doing anything with it for FG. The computer has a static IP. The computer is hard wired to a Linksys router which then goes to the DSL router which then goes into the wall.

I opened the Firewall port on the computer, but was still failing. Then I think I had to go on my Linksys router and push that port to the static IP of the computer. THEN I had to go to the DSL modem (which is also a router) and change the firewall on it to push to the Linksys which then pushes to the static IP of the computer.

This is like a techie rendition of "The old lady who swallowed a fly"!

Hope that helps!

Valgard
August 18th, 2010, 07:42
Seems to be the same problem I'm having as well,

Thomson TG585 v7 router (pc is hardwired to the router)

Moon Wizard
August 18th, 2010, 17:53
Note: You only need to set up port forwarding if you are hosting.

Essentially, here are the places where ports can be blocked:
* Operating System Firewall
* Security Suite Firewall (McAfee, etc.)
* Router
* Cable/DSL Modem
* ISP

Any or all of these layers may be configured to restrict access to specific ports. Please make sure to check each layer to confirm that port 1802 is allowed for connections coming from the Internet.

Also, here is a thread where community members have been sharing information:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4279

Regards,
JPG