PDA

View Full Version : Demo

Sycom
August 9th, 2010, 03:23
I have a few friends that I used to play with and we have been looking for a tool like Fantasy Grounds. We are interested in purchasing, but have not been able to successfully test the software. During the play tests of the demo, I ran into several problems (or just noob mistakes). I had the server and a player via localhost and one remote player connected. The main problem we ran into was randomly either a player or the DM couldn't see any chat or dice rolls. We then had to disconnect and reconnect and recreate all the character sheets. Once complete it seemed that almost immediately this problem hit one of the three windows running. The player that was affected could still see the map and updates made the the map, move around tokens, etc, but without dice rolls it didn't seem to work. Also, this didn't just happen to the players, as the DM I even lost the ability to see any player rolls or chat once, however they could still see what I typed in.

Is this a setting or just a problem in the demo. Has this been fixed in the live version. I tried stopping and starting the chat logs, but this didn't work.

Thanks

joshuha
August 9th, 2010, 04:28
Be careful you aren't using the mousewheel to scroll up on the chat. The viewpoint stays fixed and I find this is the most common reason people don't see the chat updating with dice rolls/text.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2010, 18:53
Also, the demo is very dated, and we are working on updating it.

In the mean time, you can also check out the tutorial videos in the Downloads section for walkthroughs of FG in action.

Cheers,
JPG

Sycom
August 9th, 2010, 20:42
Thanks for the replies... I checked and it isn't a scrolling issue, but that was a good idea... I think it may be with the version... I watched the new videos and they were great, but I am going to be playing 3.5 and the new videos are based on 4E.

Thanks

ddavison
August 9th, 2010, 20:59
Try to stretch your game window to cover your desktop without actually maximizing it. There are still a few minor issues when maximized but I believe the demo had more issues with it.

Sycom
August 10th, 2010, 01:06
Thanks again for the reply... I tested it again with just stretching the window and still have the same issue... I talked to my friends tonight and we are thinking about either buying the full version or waiting for the new demo to test it out a little more. Any clue when the next demo version may be availible?

Moon Wizard
August 10th, 2010, 01:57
Unfortunately, the code for the demo version hasn't been updated in a couple years, thus it is not currently able to be rebuilt. I plan on updating the demo version as part of a big 3.5E ruleset update.

However, the updated demo is most likely a couple months out.

We haven't had anyone report that issue with the release version, other than when accidentally using the mouse wheel.

Regards,
JPG

Sycom
August 10th, 2010, 02:10
Okay, great... Thanks for the quick replies... You stated that the 3.5 ruleset will have a major upgrade. When you watch the 4E videos you see the combat tracker, players can view this, the DM is able to target, etc... Is this part of the ruleset or part of the program version.

Phystus
August 10th, 2010, 03:12
That's part of the ruleset.

There's already a ruleset for 3.5 that does this, the mighty D20_JPG ruleset. Moon Wizard developed it before he joined Smiteworks, and it shares many features with the 4.0 ruleset (also originally developed before he joined up, and enhanced since). You can get it here (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/D%26D_3.5E).

~P