PDA

View Full Version : Information Sharing Question

Kenamun
August 8th, 2010, 22:49
Hey everyone,

Came across Fantasy Grounds, and it looks quite interesting; my group uses netbooks/laptops mostly these days for information recording, and so there are several things that even as an aide to face to face games I could see it helping with!

My question revolves around sharing information with players; we typically play very RP heavy games, with a lot of information about NPCs, Story Arcs, etc. The ability for the GM to create these NPCs electronically and store them, store maps and images, etc would make this organization (and subsequent retrieval!) a lot easier. However, when he shares this with the players, is there a function of the game, or a module (or anything else!) that can let the players save those images on their client side, to refer to later on? Example: The Gm has a writeup of a town, and the various people and places in it that anyone asking around could find out. Can the GM share this, and the players store it in their notes to pull up later, without the GM having to share it? It also includes a link to the town map... can they add in links from the town to the map?

Looking forward to learning more about this very interesting bit of software. Thanks!

cpbs
August 8th, 2010, 23:30
Well if the GM makes a module and if the user has a full license. I believe he can send a copy of that module to the user through email or what not, so that they can look at the information on their own Fantasy Grounds.

Kenamun
August 9th, 2010, 00:32
Would the lite version allow you to load a module that has shared information into it?

someoneinatree
August 9th, 2010, 04:07
If you're primarily looking at something to track the campaign as opposed to utilising the map and combat tracker of FG2... I'd suggest perhaps using Obsidian Portal or similar. I use it to track my current campaign in my signature.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2010, 18:50
Kenamun,

As cbps mentioned, the GM can share data in a module with the players. There are several types of modules, that you can read more about here.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/gm_library.xcp

Also, the beta version of the 4E ruleset that is currently in testing allows the players to bring up any previously shared windows without the GM having to do anything. In the current version, the GM can re-share the windows whenever he wants the players to be able to view a piece of information.

If you are interested in checking out the beta version, you can learn more in the Laboratory forum. There is a thread about the new version, and another thread at the top that points you to the Test Mode Manager tool for enabling/disabling the beta version.

Unless there are any hiccups, I plan to release the beta version in the next couple weeks.

Cheers,
JPG