PDA

View Full Version : Parallels 5 on OSX No Chat

The Guyver
August 8th, 2010, 15:17
Im running a new iMac with parallels 5 and Windows 7 64 bit.
The entire FG2 works except I can not see dice rolls or chat in the chat window?
Any ideas how to fix this? I was using the same set up on my macbook pro but it was 32 bit windows with no problems.

Zeus
August 8th, 2010, 17:08
Which version of FGII are you running? The latest release version, 2.6.5? If you are I'd suggest updating to the latest test release (2.7.0) and trying again.

The latest test version make a great many enhancements and you my find the problem just disappears.

See The Laboratory forum and the sticky for more information on how to upgrade to the test release.

The Guyver
August 9th, 2010, 02:14
Tried that still has the same issue. Could it be 64 bit windows?

Zeus
August 9th, 2010, 07:47
I'm running my development FGII system under Windows 7 64bit with no problems, so not sure.

It could be a graphics driver or Direct X problem with your configuration. Have you checked to ensure your running the latest drivers for your graphics card? I am unfamiliar with Parallels, is it like VMware which requires you to install additional 'tools' for enhanced graphics support within the VM?

Also, when you installed FGII, which option(s) did you select. Did you check the Mac/Linux compatibility option?

ddavison
August 9th, 2010, 21:35
Have you looked at running it under Wine at all? We are devoting effort to maintain compatibility with Mac and Linux when running over Wine and a growing number of users are running it under that platform.

Moon Wizard
August 10th, 2010, 01:42
Are you not seeing the chat box at all, or are the chat/rolls just not appearing?

Most times when this happens, it is because the chat box has been scrolled up. Once the chat box is scrolled up, new messages are appended below the viewable area of the chat window on the screen. You have to scroll down in the chat box to make it visible again.

The only way to currently scroll the chat box is using the mouse wheel. For laptops, oftentimes the touchpad uses one side of the touchpad as a scroll wheel replacement.

Cheers,
JPG

neteeyore
August 14th, 2010, 00:02
I have the same problem on two separate computers. everything seems to work except the text being visible in the chat window. It lets me type in the input line, but when I hit enter I don't see it. I connected to another user and they see my text in their chat window, but I do not. My dice rolls work, but the text of the result does not. again other users see it.

everywhere else I can think to try text works, just no in the chat window.

Moon Wizard
August 14th, 2010, 00:33
Have you tried using Wine by any chance? Do you still see the same issue?

I can't think of any reason why chat wouldn't be visible unless the chat scroll was locked above the bottom. Especially, given that everything else seems to be working fine.

Did you try scrolling down with a mouse wheel over the chat window to see if you could see the entries after the fact?

Thanks,
JPG

neteeyore
August 14th, 2010, 00:36
No, I haven't used wine. I know for a fact this works on parallels as my brother is running the same config and it works fine.

I have scrolled, but no luck.
oddly it simply shows no text in the chat window.

I can add that as I type in the input line, the icon for chat typing comes up. but as soon as I hit enter...nothing. I know it is sending the text to the window because it shows to connected users. Are there any visibility filters.

Moon Wizard
August 14th, 2010, 01:12
Here are a couple things to try:

* Type /clear and Enter. Then try typing a chat message. (This should clear all messages and reset scrolling.)
* Type in a chat message. Make sure cursor is in chat box. Hit PgDn key multiple times. (This should force a scroll down.)

Also, do you see the 4E announcement message in the chat box when you first load up?

Thanks,
JPG

neteeyore
August 14th, 2010, 01:23
I tried /clear and pressed enter. I pressed pg up and pg down. (many times)

No, I do not see the 4e message in the chat window. Basically no text of any kind will display for me.

I can create notes, type in other windows, see my text in the input line of the chat, just the chat window does not display

is there a command to control the font color in the chat window? Would that be a possibility?

neteeyore
August 14th, 2010, 05:39
I can confirm that this has something to do with Parallels. I know it does work with Parallels (as I said, my brother is using it just fine) but when reboot into BootCamp, the chat window works great. In Parallels...no luck.

keep in mind, this is the same copy of the software, I am running the bootcamp partition in parallels so there is no difference except one is running virtual one is running native.

Moon Wizard
August 14th, 2010, 06:26
As you brought up, a missing font would do that. It seems odd that only the chat fonts are broken, since you stated that the other windows and images appear fine. There are actually multiple chat fonts (normal, system, emote, ooc, story, ...) You can use the modifier keys to try all the different combinations.

The chat window does perform drawing slightly different than other windows, in that it draws all the messages on an in memory graphic, then exports the graphic all at once. The graphical frame is drawn separately. Perhaps the DirectX settings in your Parallels configuration is having problems with this implementation, or perhaps your graphics card is limited somehow, or maybe Parallels is set to do software only DirectX emulation (especially if on a laptop). Though, this is the first time I've heard of this specific issue with any Mac.

You should try comparing your specific configuration in Parallels with your brother's configuration. I would focus on graphics / DirectX settings.

Cheers,
JPG

neteeyore
August 19th, 2010, 03:27
I have updated windows, updated direct x, made sure parallels was updated, but in the end, it will not show up on either computer I own when running parallels. The most frustrating part is I know it works for others, so I am at a loss on what could be changed.

Moon Wizard
August 19th, 2010, 06:17
Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of Parallels to try out, and I probably wouldn't see the same issue if its working for others.

You can try using Wine, since you're spending the time messing with settings anyway. I think Wine is available through the package installer for OS X, and I'm sure someone on the forum would share the information on configuring for FG.

Sorry I can't be more help on your specific situation,
JPG

Zeus
August 19th, 2010, 09:44
You wouldn't by any chance be running any extensions for the 4E ruleset, are you? If so, try disabling them.

lonadar
August 27th, 2010, 02:06
We're having similar issues IN WINE. Running current WINE and XQuartx, updated (2.6.5) FG2. Seems to be working fine on a 15" iMac installation, but the Macbook installation keeps having an issue where the chat stops scrolling up. THERE IS NO SCROLL BAR, and trying to page/scroll through it does nothing. There have also been instances where I have been unable to type in the chat box or text fields on the character screen. Both using 10.5 updated.

neteeyore
August 27th, 2010, 05:31
I have tried both with extensions and without. Again, I do not think this is a setting issue. I am certain it has somehting to do with the way the Chat is drawn.

I don't know what could be done to address this problem it is more likely a parallels problem or an old system.

I can switch the computer from parallels to bootcamp and change NOTHING else and it works fine. Again, what frustrates me is that I know it works on parallels. All I can figure is the later systems from Apple have a different video card and that is enough to support this. I have an original Intel Macbook pro and a moderately newer 20" imac.

It's a shame, but I guess my only option is bootcamp.

Zeus
August 27th, 2010, 08:57
We're having similar issues IN WINE. Running current WINE and XQuartx, updated (2.6.5) FG2. Seems to be working fine on a 15" iMac installation, but the Macbook installation keeps having an issue where the chat stops scrolling up. THERE IS NO SCROLL BAR, and trying to page/scroll through it does nothing. There have also been instances where I have been unable to type in the chat box or text fields on the character screen. Both using 10.5 updated.

When running under Wine, are you running FGII in full screen mode or in a window?

Also, have you tried starting FGII from the command line to see if any errors are being logged, this might help point us in the right direction.

lonadar
August 27th, 2010, 17:47
Window, and I don't know any way to start it apart from using the command line. "wine FantasyGrounds.exe".

neteeyore
September 14th, 2010, 03:21
Okay, Parallels 6 fixes the problem...no changes, simply updated Parallels to 6 and it works!

YEAH!

dusenbutt
April 14th, 2011, 20:10
I've been having the exact same problem except I'm running parallels 6 and still have it.

Zeddy2k
April 24th, 2011, 17:47
Hello, I have exactly the same problem with Windows 7 and Parallels Desktop 6. Has anyone an idea for a solution? No chat and dice rolls are visible.

Zeus
April 24th, 2011, 23:01
Have you tried running the fantasygrounds.exe with the -r flag?

dusenbutt
April 25th, 2011, 02:22
Have you tried running the fantasygrounds.exe with the -r flag?
How do you do that?

Moon Wizard
April 25th, 2011, 20:45
When you install FG, there is an option for installing on Linux or Mac systems. It will automatically set this flag. Otherwise, you will need to set it as a command line option in Parallels.

Cheers,
JPG

Zeddy2k
April 26th, 2011, 17:14
I have installed FG with the option for installing on Linux or Mac Systems, but the result is still the same. I also tested it with the -r flag in the command line, but still the same result.

Have you perhaps other ideas?

Moon Wizard
April 26th, 2011, 20:19
The dice rolls and the chat window are the primary users of the DirectX functions. My guess is that the issue is related to the DirectX support in your current emulation.

As I don't have a Mac, I'm hoping that some of the others have ideas to share. There are some other threads as well on the forums related to the Crossover/Wine/Parallels you can check out as well.

Cheers,
JPG

Zeus
April 26th, 2011, 22:35
I would gladly offer more assistance as I run FGII on my mac, alas I use Crossover/Wine and so cannot offer any further insight into running FGII using Parallels.

Only thing I can really suggest is, given Wine is open source (Mac OSX version is open Darwin), perhaps you could try using Wine for OSX (https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX) to see if you get the same problem. If you don't feel comfortable using Wine, and prefer a friendlier front end perhaps you can try the trial version of Crossover for Mac.

If you do go ahead and test with Wine/Crossover and get the same problem, it would point to a graphics card/driver/osx issue, if not and it works (with the chat/dice) then it points to Parallels.

tahl_liadon
August 10th, 2011, 03:07
a couple of questions for op:

1) how are you setting port forwarding in parallels? doesn't it use the host mac's? i keep getting test failure...

2) where is the appdata for fg2 kept? i wanna use the info from my pc but can find it in the usual [my account]/appdata/roaming directory...

thx

Callum
November 6th, 2012, 21:24
One of my players has just reported this exact issue - everything works except the chat window, which never shows anything (although it's there). He's running Leopard and had just updated Crossover to 11.3.1; rolling Crossover back to 9.1 fixed the issue.

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2012, 05:07
FG uses DirectX 9. Perhaps some of the graphics functions (or function options) are not working correctly in Crossover 11.3.1?

The chat window creates a bitmap of all the messages to show to the user, instead of redrawing on every redraw. So it creates a render target texture, which is the main difference between drawing the chat window versus every other graphic.

Regards,
JPG

Callum
November 11th, 2012, 14:49
It's certainly a very specific issue, which could be caused by a DirectX problem - although my player said the dice animations still worked, and I thought those used DirectX? Perhaps, as you say, it's just some of the functions.