PDA

View Full Version : Separate modules for each player

adminwheel3
August 3rd, 2010, 16:06
So I've created modules which hold each player's items, powers, feats, etc.

I update and send each player their own module before the game, which they place in their module directory

I have them set to 'Allow for Players' and I open each one during play.

I'm wondering however, if player A doesn't have the module for player B,C and D and I have it set to 'Allow for Players', is FG going to start sending this module information to each player in the background?

I'm not worried so much about secrecy as lag and strange behavior when it comes to people staying connected. The less data I can transmit to the players the better, so if they're going to get it anyway I need to know if I should just be sending all player modules to all players.

Moon Wizard
August 3rd, 2010, 20:52
Only the host can transfer modules, and it will only transfer host data in modules. (i.e. db.xml file within module) I would have to investigate further to figure out when the module is sent. (on request vs. on startup)

To limit the data by file accessibility, you want to put your data in client.xml files. That way, you can enable the module, but the client can only see the data if they have the module installed locally.

Cheers,
JPG

adminwheel3
August 4th, 2010, 00:36
Only the host can transfer modules, and it will only transfer host data in modules. (i.e. db.xml file within module) I would have to investigate further to figure out when the module is sent. (on request vs. on startup)

To limit the data by file accessibility, you want to put your data in client.xml files. That way, you can enable the module, but the client can only see the data if they have the module installed locally.

Cheers,
JPG

And that's what I do, the modules are created as client.xml files. I have a copy of one for each player in my modules directory and I send a player specific module to each player. However I have them all open and flagged as 'Allow for Players'.

I just want to make sure 'Allow for Players' doesn't mean "If the player doesn't have this module, then start sending it to them."

Moon Wizard
August 4th, 2010, 02:30
I was reviewing quickly, and it looks like there are specific checks in place so that only shared host (db.xml) data is sent.

Cheers,
JPG

adminwheel3
August 4th, 2010, 03:54
That's great to know. Thank you for the quick response. I hope they're paying you enough!

adminwheel3
August 9th, 2010, 16:21
I wanted to show what my players see when they load up one of the four PC specific modules.

I take the following steps:

1) Use the Parser to create client modules with information for each PC (powers, feats, items). I do this four times, once for each PC.

2) Send the PCname.mod file to the player, along with a imagefiles.mod host module if needed, created in FG through the use of the /export command, so that they have fast access to my maps.

3) I have a copy of the PC modules in my own modules directory, so that I can access the same data the PCs are looking at. I open them all and set them to Allow.

4) On the PC side, they will open their own specific module. But they will also see the spiderweb icon for the other modules.

My concern is that there is background data transfer taking place which isn't needed and can impact performance.

Please see the attached image for a screencap.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2010, 19:11
The spider web icon actually indicates that the modules are not installed on the local machine.

Is there a reason why you still feel that there is download going on in the background?

Cheers,
JPG

adminwheel3
August 9th, 2010, 19:12
The spider web icon actually indicates that the modules are not installed on the local machine.

Is there a reason why you still feel that there is download going on in the background?

Cheers,
JPG

None at all - I just thought that the icon indicated that the information was in the process of being transmitted. Like what happens when you flag an image for background loading.

Moon Wizard
August 9th, 2010, 19:34
Yeah, I used the d20 ruleset as an example originally, though most of the ruleset is heavily rewritten. There is a tendency to reuse graphics, instead of making new ones. I'm guilty of that as well.

Cheers,
JPG