PDA

View Full Version : encounter/Battle maps

saithan
August 1st, 2010, 21:09
The FG community seems extremely good with sharing their talents (scripting, modules, tools, and game-play methods.) and i have really grown to FG in a very short time. so I just thought i'd contribute how i can by making the encounter maps and battlemaps i made for my game available to anyone that may find a use for them.
some are still large in file size.

https://a.imageshack.us/img440/9849/teagansden.th.jpg (https://img440.imageshack.us/i/teagansden.jpg/)

https://a.imageshack.us/img440/4651/teagansdeninter.th.jpg (https://img440.imageshack.us/i/teagansdeninter.jpg/)

hope you like.

ronnke
August 1st, 2010, 21:55
Very nice maps. What software do you use? I like the somewhat isometric maps.

saithan
August 1st, 2010, 22:05
I use vue, 3d studio, photoshop, gimp. sometimes I use daz models i purchased. import them to vue. my players love em so i'll be making and posting more soon.

ronnke
August 1st, 2010, 22:34
I use vue, 3d studio, photoshop, gimp. sometimes I use daz models i purchased. import them to vue. my players love em so i'll be making and posting more soon.

I would love to see some modern/scifi maps if you ever feel the need to be creative. :) Good modern/scifi maps are not so easy to come by.

phantomwhale
August 1st, 2010, 23:13
Very nice - thanks

Talen
August 3rd, 2010, 17:13
Your maps are incredible! Hope to see more!

Wren
August 3rd, 2010, 17:31
Great work :) Thanks so much for sharing them!

Al

adminwheel3
August 4th, 2010, 00:42
Yes, very impressive.

Tailz Silver Paws
August 4th, 2010, 01:46
Great stuff Saithan! I do the same thing. How did you do the water? Is that a 3D particle engine, photoshop brushes, or chopped up photos?

saithan
August 4th, 2010, 02:14
vue function editing to get that water. vue is nice in that it can do very realistic work. you soo here where I experiment with trying to create a realistic natural light and haze desity.
https://img528.imageshack.us/i/forestedcopy.jpg/
and by looking at their site you will see that it has excellent water cuastics as well.
but it can be done easy too with photoshop layer masks. it all depends on how much of a rush I'm in. I have another set I may post by this weekend.

Tailz Silver Paws
August 4th, 2010, 02:50
I think I have Vue around somewhere, I think it came as part of a Lightware bundle I picked up a while ago... I thought it was just another Bryce...

but it can be done easy too with photoshop layer masks. it all depends on how much of a rush I'm in.
Rush... that is my biggest problem. I don't have the time these days to experiment - usually I have just enough time to get stuck in, and get whatever I am working on done, before the next project jumps on my desk. I don't have the time to spend trying things out that might not work, which I find annoying, as trying stuff that might work, is how one can find some nifty effects.

Too many things on, not enough hours in the day...

Blue Haven
December 14th, 2010, 21:41
Ok just for you guys to see and coment about this small map...its very small because i was just playing around with the tiles and objects...but i think for a DH game would be very cool...
https://img706.imageshack.us/img706/3889/darkheresy.jpg

Leonal
December 14th, 2010, 22:09
That's a really neat and detailed map Blue Haven!

But when did 4kx4k pixels count as small? ;) hehe

Tailz Silver Paws
December 14th, 2010, 22:47
That is a really good map, I like it. Makes me think of that old Games Workshop game: Space Hulk.

That's a really neat and detailed map Blue Haven!

But when did 4kx4k pixels count as small? ;) hehe
I run on a standard of 180px per 5ft, so a large image can still be a small map.

Leonal
December 15th, 2010, 00:54
Yeah I know ^^, it was just the combination of the word small and the image stretching the forum quite a bit that made me laugh. :)

Blue Haven
December 15th, 2010, 11:04
LOL yeah i understand that but when i tried to upload the image it always gave me errors and the only way i had to show you guys this was this way :(
Glad you liked :) and i mean small because i only made a few rooms...like i said i was just testing...

Leonal
December 15th, 2010, 11:51
Looking forward to more of them. :)

Blue Haven
December 17th, 2010, 11:47
:) thanks...if i have some time and head to build some crazys ones i will post here ;) and i remember one thing with this type of maps you can play Space Hulk board game on FG too :) just make some tokens and start the fun ;)

jcdf
January 19th, 2011, 13:35
Those are some really nice maps saithan. Here are a few comments on them.

The first one of the market is very good. I cannot see how that can be easily improved.

The second one, the inside of some temple is a bit sterile with too much marble and stone, unless that is what you are looking for. The lighting is off as well. Is it an outdoor or indoor scene? If indoor it is not clear where the light is coming from. Should be a higher contrast as well. This one needs some more work.

The third one of the castle courtyard would be great for a large outdoor battle. Defending the castle from enemies coming in through the gate or alternatively attacking the castle.

The fourth map of the small rocky corridor would be great for an ambush scene. The rock affects with the trees overhanging the north edge of the pass makes an excellent compromise between reality and an otherworldly fantasy setting. Real but not too real.

The fifth map of the stream is very nice for many of the same reasons as the fourth. It is a great scene for an ambush. I love the water effects.

The sixth map of the city street is a bit sterile and clean again. There is not too much from the lighting going on. You could take this map in two directs. Make it a day scene by adding some clutter like with the market place and improve the lighting, try adding some yellows or reds to the scene to bring some colour contrast. Alternatively you could make it a night scene. Leave the street empty and add some soft yellow light just inside the windows of a few of the buildings and turn the sunlight into moonlight with a slightly blue tint. Create some strong shadows as well.

The last one is very nice, the inside of a tavern. Love the candlelights. There is clutter that would be consistent with such a place but no too much of it. A few suggestions for improvement would be to remove the chandeliers, they do nothing for the scene since no light seems to come from them. The cord holding them to the ceiling is too long and distracts from the general scene. The doorway connecting the kitchen to the main area is a bit hidden and not obvious. Try adding an open door to it hanging out into the main area to.

These are some very nice maps saithan keep the good work up. :)

nowares
January 31st, 2011, 17:04
Some very nice maps!
Thanks for sharing them. I'm sure I will use them in a campaign soon :)

demonsbane
February 27th, 2011, 10:32
Your maps are incredible! Hope to see more!

I want to second this, too.

bennis1980
July 24th, 2012, 09:23
Really nice.

I love them