PDA

View Full Version : Custom Token Bags

Drazulfel
July 30th, 2010, 23:31
I notice that tokens placed in sub-folders within my /tokens/shared folder aren't saved in combat encounters, on the map, and in the combat tracker upon exit. ie: If I have some goblins inside /tokens/shared/goblins, their usage won't be saved upon exit. But, if I put the same tokens inside /tokens/shared, I can exit out of FGII, and when I come back, they're still right where I left them in the combat tracker and on the map.

Creating custom token bags from within FGII solves this. I can create a custom bag inside the token box, drag my tokens inside of it, and all is well.

To make an increasingly long story short, I'd like to be able to name custom token bags. Instead of custom0, and custom1, etc., I'd like to be able to name the bags Goblins, PCs, etc.

Is that do-able?

Moon Wizard
July 31st, 2010, 09:00
The tokens should be remembered regardless of which subfolder they are in. I use subfolders 5-6 levels deep for my tokens without any issues.

Please give us some more information to help:
* What version of FG are you running?
* What ruleset are you using?

Cheers,
JPG

Drazulfel
July 31st, 2010, 23:22
Please give us some more information to help:
* What version of FG are you running?
* What ruleset are you using?

Version 2.6.5, and I'm using the 4E ruleset. I did quite a bit of testing to draw the conclusion that I came to. The problem with tokens being saved in Encounters, on the Combat Tracker, and on a battlemap is definitely directly related to whether or not the token .png file is in a sub-folder... at least in my situation.

As a self-solution, I'm currently giving my token files more descriptive, and categorized names so I can easily find them alphabetically in the token box.

ddavison
July 31st, 2010, 23:37
Can you give a full example of the folder names and image names? Maybe it has something to do with special characters used or the length of the full name.

Drazulfel
August 1st, 2010, 05:28
Can you give a full example of the folder names and image names? Maybe it has something to do with special characters used or the length of the full name.

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\tokens\shared\kobolds

koboldMinion.png
koboldDragonshield.png
koboldSlinger.png

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\tokens\shared\goblins

goblinBlackblade.png
irontooth.png

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\tokens\shared\pcs

paget.png
phoebe.png
bakbuk.png
raxil.png
gildras.png

I further tested my theory today, and it confirmed what I said above. I created an encounter with 3 NPC's with tokens from the root folder...

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\tokens\shared

... and 3 NPC's with tokens from a subfolder...

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\tokens\shared\kobolds

I dragged the encounter to the Combat Tracker, and dragged all 6 tokens from the Combat Tracker to a battlemap. I then closed all windows, exited out of FG II, and re-entered FG II.

When I got back into the campaign and opened the encounter, Combat Tracker, and battlemap, the 3 tokens from the root \shared folder were still there, and the ones from \shared\kobolds were gone.

I moved the same 3 kobold token .png files out of the \shared\kobold folder and placed them in the root \shared folder, and tried the exercise again. This time, all 6 tokens remained intact when re-logging. Likewise, placing all 6 tokens in \shared\kobold caused all 6 to disappear when re-logging.

~Draz

rksvektor
September 1st, 2010, 01:40
Hello, I just wanted to say that I seem to be having the exact same problem. I just bought a full license of FG2 a few days ago. I already own a lite license but chose to buy a full not an upgrade. I installed and updated it to 2.6.5. I was working on a campaign and when I tried to place tokens with my npcs they were no longer there when I reloaded the campaign. After several tries I came here and found this thread. I tried moving the png file from the subfolder I had it in to the main host folder as suggested here and sure enough the token saved properly. As long as I keep it in a subfolder in the host folder though it does not save when I exit the program.

Folder Examples

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\Tokens\host\token.png

This works and the token saves with the npc as expected.

c:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\Tokens\host\D&D Minis\Animal Beast Insect D&D Mini\token.png

This does not work and everytime I reopen the campaign all my npcs show a blank token spot.

Just want to say that I think FG2 is a great program and thanks for all your hard work.

Griogre
September 1st, 2010, 18:21
I believe this has been fixed in 2.7, the next release of FG and the 4E ruleset. I am wondering why you are keeping your monsters in the shared folder instead of host one.

Shared tokens are transfered to the players on connection. Host tokens are transfered when they are used. After a while you might well have hundreds, maybe thousands of monster tokens yet any adventure will only use a few dozen monsters so it seems needless to transfer all those tokens you probably won't use to the clients.

Because of the transfer on connection I try to keep the amount of things in shared to a minimum, I've got a few arrows, horse, mule, transparent zone counters and a few dozen medium beads in a sub folder.