PDA

View Full Version : character files

Bert Blaine
July 28th, 2010, 16:10
is there a way to move my players characters from one of my campaigns to another campaign folder.

one of my campaigns has become nearly unusable and i want to start the folder over with just the character files.

Doswelk
July 28th, 2010, 17:10
go to the Campaigns folder inside the FGII Application Data folder.

In there will be a folder for each campaign you have created.

Copy db.xml to somewhere else (to be safe).

Edit the copied db.xml the characters are between <charsheet> and </charsheet> (at least that's what they are called in Savage Worlds ruleset).

So open new campaign's db.xml and copy / paste the Charsheet section over.

Hope that helps...

Bert Blaine
July 28th, 2010, 17:17
Dont seem to be able to edit or copy do i need an application to do that?

Astinus
July 28th, 2010, 18:08
Notepad++ will do the trick. It's free and simple enough to use.

StuartW
July 28th, 2010, 18:20
You can also use plain-'ole Notepad, if you're careful.

gmkieran
July 30th, 2010, 19:28
There's a tool specifically built to extract that code and allow you to import it to another campaign. I believe it's called CampaignTools and should be on the FG wiki and/or sticked in several threads.

Doswelk
July 31st, 2010, 18:52
There's a tool specifically built to extract that code and allow you to import it to another campaign. I believe it's called CampaignTools and should be on the FG wiki and/or sticked in several threads.

Is it not ruleset specific though?

Zeus
August 1st, 2010, 00:57
I updated Campaign Tools and whilst the majority of the functionality is keyed towards the 4E ruleset, the exporting of character nodes from one campaign's db.xml file to another may very well work with other rulesets. It would depend upon whether the ruleset shares the same top level structure for the campaign's character sheets, in 4E the node is called <charsheet>.

Assuming its identical, the tool should find and list the charsheets in the tree it builds of the source campaign. From this view you can then export each character to a new target campaign.

I would backup your campaign files and the give it a go, in the worst case if it doesn't work, simply restore your backups.

You can find the tool here (https://zgp.eugenez.net) under the Tools section.