PDA

View Full Version : Isometric maps a problem?

DNH
July 27th, 2010, 15:40
Some time early next year, I shall be running a 4e game through FG2 and an adventure (a published adventure) within that game that uses isometric maps. My question is this: will that be a problem for FG2?

I realise I will have to turn off the grid and that this will remove a certain amount of functionality (display of threat, auras, etc) and/or reduce certain elements to ready-reckoning on our part. I think I can deal with that. But I am wondering if there is anything more, anything important that I would be throwing away if I go ahead and use the isometric maps as they are.

The alternative is for me to create top-down versions of all the maps but that looks to be too big a deal for me (I have investigated a number of options, none of them very satisfactory).

Any thoughts?

Griogre
July 28th, 2010, 08:18
You will be ok if you cut off the grid. I routinely don't use a grid if the map already has one. Your biggest problem is going to be counting the squares for range or if a token is behind a wall if they didn't separate the rooms enough.

ddavison
July 29th, 2010, 03:03
Just a thought: If you have photoshop, You can use the crop tool to do a pretty good job of cutting an image that has perspective and flattening it out. Just drag the outline of the crop area and then move the individual control points.

DNH
August 5th, 2010, 11:07
I actually used GIMP's rotate and shear tools to similar effect and was pleasantly surprised at the results. Not sure which I will use though; the isometric maps look better but are a bit of a pain to use, while the plan maps look a bit skew but are more functional.