PDA

View Full Version : 4E Languages extension

Tenian
July 24th, 2010, 01:51
Download Link (https://tenian.eugenez.net/Extensions/4E%20Language.ext)

Included Fonts (https://dnd-4e.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-did-some-more-work-and-locked.html)

Example Translation (https://dnd-4e.blogspot.com/2010/07/fun-with-my-old-font-extension.html)
To Use:

/lang {abyssal|elven|dwarven|draconic|deepspeech|primord ial|goblin|supernal|giant} {text}

Players can only speak in languages listed on their sheet. It will provide translations as needed.

The Host can speak in any language. They can also use a second command to speak in any font, even those not associated with languages (emotefont for example)

/fc {internal font name} {text}

Note this extension makes use of some special functions in the 4E chat system so it may not work in other rulesets.

tdewitt274
July 24th, 2010, 04:00
That...is...AWESOME!

Can't wait to try it out!

adminwheel3
July 24th, 2010, 05:24
This is fantastic - something I didn't even know was missing until I used it!

My only request is that at some point you make it so you don't have to type /lang <language name> in front of each line.

That's a niggle however as I doubt people will carry on extensive conversations in another tongue. Great work as always!

Sorontar
July 24th, 2010, 10:43
That is excellent. I'm going to have some fun with this in my next game :)

Tenian
July 24th, 2010, 12:22
Adding a toggle that swichted the default language a player speaks in would have 2 issues:

1) You'll note the player icon and name appear in one line and the special message appears on a second. This is because if you set the font and send one message, it changes the font of the player's name as well. So long conversations in another language tend to eat up a lot of the chat window

2) This would require changes to the chat system. It could be done, but these changes would likely be overwritten / require constant maintenance when the ruleset receives updates.

DaffyRoth
July 26th, 2010, 19:50
Im a bit confuddled. I cant get this this to work at all. I tried to follow the directions and am confused lol. Anyways a clearer step by step would be a help. When I type the /lang {name} {Text} nothing comes up. I used the brackets as well......I dunno.....I am lost.

adminwheel3
July 26th, 2010, 22:49
Im a bit confuddled. I cant get this this to work at all. I tried to follow the directions and am confused lol. Anyways a clearer step by step would be a help. When I type the /lang {name} {Text} nothing comes up. I used the brackets as well......I dunno.....I am lost.

Try it without the brackets friend - those just indicate where you put the name of the language and the text of what you are saying.

Fusky
July 30th, 2010, 15:16
I tried this as DM but I cannot see the translation. What I'm doing wrong?

CrazyGoblinoid
July 21st, 2011, 19:42
Anyone try this with 3.5e FG 2.8?

Talen
October 20th, 2011, 01:21
I believe Tenian is on hiatus, but does anyone know of the prospects for the language extension's use in the 3.5/PF rulesets? As mentioned earlier, this extension is invaluable once you begin using it. Im hoping I might be able to make use of it with my Pathfinder games - but at the moment, it's a no-go.

Trenloe
October 20th, 2011, 07:11
I believe Tenian is on hiatus, but does anyone know of the prospects for the language extension's use in the 3.5/PF rulesets? As mentioned earlier, this extension is invaluable once you begin using it. Im hoping I might be able to make use of it with my Pathfinder games - but at the moment, it's a no-go.

I'm on it - I've managed to get it working by porting some of the ChatManager code from the 4E ruleset. It is working so far in the limited tests I've done - I just need to trim the 4E code down and do some more testing to make sure it doesn't break other things...

Tenian - if you're around, I hope you don't mind me building on your code. If you do, please let me know and I'll stop...

Trenloe
October 20th, 2011, 11:59
I'm on it - I've managed to get it working by porting some of the ChatManager code from the 4E ruleset. It is working so far in the limited tests I've done - I just need to trim the 4E code down and do some more testing to make sure it doesn't break other things...

Tenian - if you're around, I hope you don't mind me building on your code. If you do, please let me know and I'll stop...

3.5E version available here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15561)

DaffyRoth
March 5th, 2012, 23:07
Ya, I dont think this is working with v 2.9........any ideas?

Trenloe
March 6th, 2012, 18:50
Ya, I dont think this is working with v 2.9........any ideas?
I would guess that most developers of extensions won't devote too much time to making their extensions 2.9 compatible until 2.9 is at least ouf of Alpha testing, if not even Beta testing - as too many things can change in the code as a result of that testing and the extensions could have to be changed again and again.

I, for one, certainly won't be updating extensions I have made until 2.9 is in general release.

DaffyRoth
March 6th, 2012, 18:51
Ya I went back to using 2.8 lol. Dont give me wrong I look forward to 2.9 but the memory thing is killing me!

adminwheel3
April 28th, 2012, 15:58
Very much looking forward to an 2.9 compatible version of the Languages extension myself.

I hope someone is interested in updating it....:(

Beerholder
June 1st, 2012, 01:33
I really like this!

Is there a way to remove the "Jale is speaking elven", or maybe shorten it to "Jale (in elven)"

Trenloe
June 1st, 2012, 04:24
I really like this!

Is there a way to remove the "Jale is speaking elven", or maybe shorten it to "Jale (in elven)"
Open the extension (rename the .ext to .zip so you can open it) and look in the scripts\fontchat.lua file.
Search for "is speaking" and change these as desired. There are 2 entries one for the GM and one for the players.
Re-zip the extension, change the name to .ext and give it a go...