PDA

View Full Version : Players controlling their allies in combat - can they move the tokens?

Myene
July 20th, 2010, 00:03
Hello All,

on saturday I ran our first FG2 - Savage Worlds game. And we had a combat encounter with the following participants:

- Fuchs (player character)
- Marcus Zweihand (player character)
- Soldier #1, Soldier #2 and Soldier #3 (allies of the player characters) (all set to the green friendly symbol)
- 6 orc zombies (set to red)
- 6 skeletons (set to red)

I then placed the tokens on the battle map - that worked well, when I hovered over them it would show me which soldier it was ("Soldier" or "Soldier #2" or "Soldier #3" etc.).
But when we tried to move to the tokens it turned out that:
- I, as the GM could move all the tokens (that's ok)
- but the players could only move their own characters token (Fuchs the "F" and Marcus the "M") but NOT the tokens of their allied soldiers (that's bad)

Is there a way in the ruleset to allow the players to move the tokens of their allies? They play them in battle after all. On saturday the player of Fuchs had to show me with the pointer where he wanted to move his soldiers and I then moved them there for him. But it would have been a lot faster if he would have just been able to move them himself.

Maybe there's an option or something that I haven't noticed yet?

Greetings,

Myene

(Attachment: A picture of the combat tracker as it was on saturday. Sölder = soldier, Ork Zombie = orc zombie ;-) )

Mask_of_winter
July 20th, 2010, 00:40
The only way I've found to do it is to NOT link the tokens.

Just grab the tokens from the token bag and drop them on the map. If you want to identify the tokens. Write "Soldier #1" in the chat box and then drag it onto the token.

Hope that helped.

Oberoten
July 20th, 2010, 08:16
It is actually possible to fix this, but it'd involve changing the basic behaviour of the ruleset and editing some LUA.

In the file combattracker_token.lua
you can comment out line 77 :

ref.setModifiable(false);

to make all tokens moveable by players. If you are feeling more advanced you can set a check in the friend-foe area of the combat tracker to make sure to set all allies to modifiable ONLY and leave the line in as it is instead.

- Obe

adminwheel3
July 20th, 2010, 14:56
So just open the file up with...um...something like Deamweaver? I've been using it to do formatting of txt files for future parsing, but I haven't ever edited a LUA file before.

I'm skerd! HOLD ME!

phantomwhale
July 20th, 2010, 16:19
Notepad for editing will do just fine. Notepad++ if your feeling fancy and want some nice syntax highlighting. But LUA is nice simple text scripts, and if you break it you can always undo the changes (as you DID backup the original script before modifying it, didn't you ?!?)

Is there a obvious patch here for players being able to move ally tokens ? E.g. would people consider this a bug ? Or is this more a matter of personal preference ?

... yes, yes, I'm itching to update the unofficial patches extension again. Keeps me feeling the joy of the release whilst I'm working on bigger savage projects :)

Myene
July 20th, 2010, 22:38
Ok, I did a backup of combattracker_token.lua, found out how to comment out a line in LUA ;) (my first try was // ... old habits never die I guess) - then I started FG2 (this time successfully) and connected with a localhost-client. It works. The players can now move all the tokens. :)

For me this is all I need - I have no problem with the fact that they are now able to move their enemies tokens, too. They won't do that anyway.

Thank you all a lot for this hint. And thank you, too Mask_of_winter - I would have followed your advice hadn't the others presented that LUA-code-change option.

---

Is there a obvious patch here for players being able to move ally tokens ? E.g. would people consider this a bug ? Or is this more a matter of personal preference ?
For me this is a bug - as (at least) my version of the Savage Worlds Rulebook cleary states that the players play their allies in combat, not the GM.

Exceptions could be necessary for important Wildcard NPCs, though - but in FG2 you could just set such an important NPC to neutral-yellow in the combat tracker, if you wanted to prevent the players from moving his/her token.

Oberoten
July 21st, 2010, 01:53
I would agree. This is how I have done it in my Ars Magica ruleset.

Green = Movable by players (obvious ally or person under their command)
Yellow = Movable by GM.
Red = Movable by GM only.

- Obe

Doswelk
July 21st, 2010, 23:22
I would agree. This is how I have done it in my Ars Magica ruleset.

Green = Movable by players (obvious ally or person under their command)
Yellow = Movable by GM.
Red = Movable by GM only.

- Obe

Can you give us a code example of how you did that so we can hack our rulesets please? :D

Oberoten
July 22nd, 2010, 07:47
I just hacked it uglily in combattracker_token.lua with changing part of the function acquirereference(dropref)

from

if window.getType() == "pc" then
ref.setVisible(true);
else
end

to

if window.getFoF() == "friend" then
ref.setVisible(true);
else
end

- Obe

Uthred
July 24th, 2010, 02:01
Awesome - thanks Obe!!! I made this change and it worked like a charm!!

Now I have something that goes in tandem with this - in addition to letting the players move the NPC tokens, also letting them roll for the NPC's. I have found that this can be accomplished by the GM opening the Personality for the NPC and sharing it with the players - but it's very buggy. It seems like only the skills listed on the left side of the sheet work. From the player view, the ability die for the skills on the right side seem to be be on the line for the description for the skills on the left. I think this is what is causing the issue. Has anyone else found this as well, and is there a known fix? I'm looking to the scripting sages on this one. :D

Firtun
July 24th, 2010, 13:06
Hi,
in reference to the problem with the skills on the NPC sheets, I think the following should fix it.

make a backup of, then open up
adventure_npcs.xml

there are three pieces of script in this file that need changing to sort various oddities with players viewing the npc sheet. The bug is the same in each case.

First search for <template name="npcskillmodbox"> - then the <scripts> section under it.

Change the onInit function from

function onInit()
if User.isHost() then
source = window.skill.getDatabaseNode()
source.onUpdate = update
update()
end
end
to

function onInit()
source = window.skill.getDatabaseNode()
source.onUpdate = update
update()
end

next find <template name="npcmodbox"> and in the <scripts> section change the onInit function from

function onInit()
if User.isHost() then
source = window.getDatabaseNode().getChild(sourcename[1]);
source.onUpdate = update
update()
end
end
to

function onInit()
source = window.getDatabaseNode().getChild(sourcename[1]);
source.onUpdate = update
update()
end

and finally find <windowclass name="npc_skillentry"> and in the <scripts> section change the onInit function from

function onInit()
if User.isHost() then
source = window.skill.getDatabaseNode();
source.onUpdate = update;
update();
end
end
to

function onInit()
source = window.skill.getDatabaseNode();
source.onUpdate = update;
update();
end

This third one fixes the skill issue that you're having, the other two fix issues when the mod box comes into existance once you hit 12 on the stat or the skill.

This seems to work on my version, but please do take a backup in case it breaks something on yours.

Cheers
Firtun

Uthred
July 25th, 2010, 23:38
Thanks Firtun, but unfortunately this did not work for me. In fact, not only does this code not fix the problem on the client end, but it breaks the host functionality. Now they both work exactly the same - skills that appear on the right side of the sheet do not work.

It has something to do with the way the skills are displayed; it appears that the right skill is merged with the left skill on the same line. Attached is an image as an example. In the example, attempting to drag the die for Fighting, instead drags the text 'Climbing' to the chat window.

phantomwhale
July 26th, 2010, 07:35
Nothing helpful from me here - just thought I'd chime in that I also see this problem with client NPCs (using unmodified V3 Savage Worlds ruleset + unofficial patches extension).

Firtun
July 26th, 2010, 07:52
Hmm,
those are the changes I made to fix the problem when I noticed it. And I can now roll dice from the second column of the skills in the npc list. Will take a look at the changes I made and see if there were any others later today.

OK I've looked at a working version I have and there shouldn't be any changes to the scripts in the npcmodbox template.
Otherwise the changes I have are as stated above.

I'll mail you Uthred rather than the ping pong through the forums and then once it's worked out, can post the fix here.

Firtun

phantomwhale
July 26th, 2010, 08:11
Look forward to seeing the outcome of the fixes here with the NPC skills list.

Meanwhile, the fix Oberoten posted to allow PCs to move ally tokens, along with a little enhancement from me to allow them to see the ally reach as well, has been integrated into the Savage World unofficial patches extension :

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12159

Any comments or thoughts on this extension, or including this feature in it, should be added to that thread.

Regards,
Ben

Firtun
July 29th, 2010, 08:26
Hi,
I've spoken with Uthred and we've been able to get it working. The fixes posted above do work, each one corrects a small bug with the npc skills sheet when viewed by a player.
One of them corrects the positioning of the right hand skills, and the other two correct the appearance of the modifier box when the skill or attribute die is less than d12.
Hopefully someone else can confirm it works as well.

Firtun

phantomwhale
August 7th, 2010, 00:07
Hi,
I've spoken with Uthred and we've been able to get it working. The fixes posted above do work, each one corrects a small bug with the npc skills sheet when viewed by a player.
One of them corrects the positioning of the right hand skills, and the other two correct the appearance of the modifier box when the skill or attribute die is less than d12.
Hopefully someone else can confirm it works as well.

Firtun

I can confirm this works, having played with it today, and I'm just adding it into the unofficial patches extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12159)

Thanks !
Ben