PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 D&D Dragonlance weeknights 7pm EST

Andrepartthree
July 18th, 2010, 03:16
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13506

I know I'm being a plagiarist but I loved kyxmma's post so much I just have to paraphrase it, especially since it sounds like he and I both run the same kind of campaigns - heck I'm going to PM him right after this and see if he's interested, definitely sounds like we're on the same wavelength far as what we look for in a game ;)

" I am planning on running a 3.5 game.... If you're looking for a immersive storyline, with good role playing and a mix of combat then this might be for you. Character development in the story is just as important as any epic encounter... Also this game will be using voice and requires skype"

While Kyxmma is looking for a Sat night game (so no competition with you for players Kyxmma, really ! :) ) I'm looking for players free on Tuesdays nights (basically every week Tues) 7pm eastern time.

You don't have to be an expert on the 3.5 rules nor do you have to be an experienced FG player, newbies welcome.. I've found that enthusiasm, a good attitude, and willingness to get along with your fellow players can count for far more than gaming experience.

Fast paced action and combat is just as important to me as good role playing and getting into playing out your character's personality, so I strive for a fifty-fifty balance between the two.

It's a Dragonlance game, "War of the Lance" era campaign, D and D rules version 3.5 (though you don't HAVE to be familiar with the Dragonlance setting to enjoy this campaign) .... I will allow material from pretty much any WOTC sourcebook ... usually with some "tweaking" you can find some way to adapt the material to the World of Krynn (the setting in which the campaign takes place). Heck I've written up rebellious punk teenage succubae, arrogant troll wizards who think everyone's prejudiced against them because they have green skin, and innocent naive medusas raised by monks polymorphed into a beautiful female form - aside from the snakes waving around on top of her head that is :p .....

Starting level is 6th, 32 point ability score buy system listed in the DMG, 13,000 gold pieces (or "steel pieces" for those of you familiar with the Dragonlance setting ;) ) worth to buy equipment including magical items... clerical magic type items (such as healing) are a no-go at this point however since the gods have been absent from the world for the past 351 years (first module basically involves bringing about the return of the good gods) ...

I don't mind power gaming AS LONG AS you write up an interesting character with a good background and personality (say one paragraph for each? ) , a requirement I have for each PC ... initially there's some back-and-forth conversation between the player and myself where I ask ?'s about the PC, player responds, I ask more ?'s... the whole process doesn't take too long and the end result are fun detailed subplots for your PC that I weave into the campaign (it's important to me to know exactly what KIND of fun they're looking for in my campaign ;) ) ....

What I DO mind however is the following : rules lawyers ( I try to stick to the rules but if you're going to slow the game down every time we deviate from detailed rule XYZ in the rulebook this isn't the game for you); uncommitted players who routinely miss gaming sessions (emergencies are understandable but we expect you to be at pretty much every game session for the most part.. the DM's are putting a lot of work into the campaign so we expect commitment from the players) ; immature players who throw tantrums when their PC isn't "top dog" (said player is unhappy because another PC is more powerful than their own or defeated their PC in a fight) ; immature players who otherwise get upset when the game doesn't go their way.. we had one such immature player leave the group after causing a fair amount of damage (rolls eyes) but the rest of the players are pretty solid, mature and good RP'ers :)

As you can probably gather from this thread role playing is important.. players need to be able to commit to about 20 minutes per day outside of the FG game sessions reading and responding to posts in the forum held for our game, usually in the aspect of carrying on role-playing stuff that goes on outside of the game.. I or another player post something from the point of view of a PC or NPC, you the player as a PC post a response, we post our response, et cetera.. it makes the game a lot more fun for all involved and we're looking for players who would enjoy this sort of thing.

I do maintain a forum where you can engage in detailed RP'ing with other PC's or my NPC's via posts .. I give xp for forum posts IN ADDITION to xp for FG game sessions... xp from FG game sessions alone should be enough for you to "level up" however. The forum is also used for announcements re: the game and as an attempt to speed up stuff that can be settled out of game sessions (exactly how to divide up loot, suggestions to the DM on how to make the game more fun , et cet) ... I also award "role playing points" for just that, good role playing, both on the forum and in FG game sessions which can be used to purchase additional feats, skill ranks and/or ability score increases for your character..

PC's should be Good aligned to start out with since the premise of the whole campaign is a "save the world" type thing..... doesn't mean YOU have to be a stick-in-mud goodie two shoes mind you (I use to run a chaotic good half elf female rogue I had a blast with, really tended to tick off the more conservative people in the party) but the character should be the type of person who would save a village from the monster simply because it was the right thing to do. Likewise your character should be the kind of person who doesn't "off" NPC prisoners (even the evil ones) once you're done interrogating them - maiming , blinding et cetera them is also a no-no (DM note - this will never come back to haunt you in the future.. if I make humane treatments of prisoners a requirement I'm not going to punish you for it "in game" .. more than likely they'll actually do some sort of favor for you in the future after they're released ) ....

Non-Good PC's are possible if you can write up a really good reason why the PC is cooperating with good PC's (for example there was an evil minotaur in one game I participated in as a player... said minotaur was Geased-as per the spell - into helping the PC's to serve his "debt to society" for killing a paladin... or, another idea, perhaps a really unpleasant, scary Assassin looking to get back at those bastards who murdered his family, bastards who just happen to be the bad guys trying to take over the world... he'll work with the good PC's towards a common goal but he's not exactly the nicest guy ).. it IS important however that the evil PC be able to act in a non-evil enough fashion (strange I know) so that the good guys don't feel obligated to kill him on the spot (see my later post below on the morality constraints).

Current party make up is :

- kenku ("bird-man") bard, good aligned, male
- dark elf cleric, good aligned, female
- Good aligned silvanesti elf wizard, female
- good aligned male favored soul (sort of a cleric that casts spells like a sorcerer with a few other odd abilities)
- good aligned kender (class and gender yet undetermined player still writing up character)

So if you're interested post away here or PM me , hit me up :)

Andrepartthree
July 18th, 2010, 15:33
(no way to delete posts on this thread as a way of updating apparently - above post still holds true though ;) )

Darkalloy
July 18th, 2010, 15:54
Count Bird-Brain ((A.k.a Rin)) in. You know I got an open schedual so any day works. I will have to recreate rin completely. Wait why am I doing this? I just sent you a pm like this. D'oh, anyway yeah.

Andrepartthree
July 18th, 2010, 18:17
another reply I can't delete so just ignore it :P .. still looking for 2 more players though (see below ;) )

Darkalloy
July 18th, 2010, 18:46
Yup, Another use impaired bard. Oh and they are in MM3.

Nydhog
July 19th, 2010, 17:36
I work every night but tuesday and sunday. Where did you get thursday on that list? lol

Xcenocide
July 19th, 2010, 18:25
*sigh* Damnation, Andre. You just had to choose the days I am not capable of playing on, didn't you? >:
Aw, shucks. Maybe next time.

Andrepartthree
July 19th, 2010, 19:29
Yeah sorry about that Xcen having Zant there would have been awesome :cry: ..... Guys Xcenocide and I played together in a past FG campaign, he played Zant the LG monk (think boyish super enthusiastic kind of wet behind the ears guy) and I played Briana the paladin, both human, the two were best friends ;) .... he's an awesome RP'er btw ;) ... normally I'd refer him to the FG group I just left but THAT one's on a Monday too (lol) ...

Yep sorry about that Nydhog , figured that out later than I should you are available Tues and Sun, got it ;) ...

Andrepartthree
July 21st, 2010, 15:53
And we've got 6 players so all slots are currently full ;) , though I encourage people to put their name on the "waiting list" if interested (see below)

davidthird
July 31st, 2010, 22:56
hey im new to the whole d&d and i would love to learn and play with you guys so please hit me up

Andrepartthree
August 5th, 2010, 14:17
BTW if anyone's interested send me a PM so I can put you on the "wait list" so to speak (davidthird as an FYI I don't check this thread that frequently so better to send me a PM ;) )

Something else I should clarify for potential new players ... I take the "Good " part of the alignment requirement for PC's quite seriously, as in I look to the Book of Exalted Deeds for inspiration.. not saying all PC's have to be paladins, if someone's attacking you in combat I encourage vicious attacks to the groin, eye, et cetera (I use rules from the torn asunder critical hits sourcebook, easier to learn/use than you think ;) .. and no it's not a hack and slash game we RP too but combat is always a fun thing :P ) ... once the enemy is down and helpless however I expect you to leave him alone , or if an enemy surrenders I expect you to let him go (DM note - this will NEVER come back to haunt you.. such enemies either crawl into a hole and are never heard from again or,given time, they may actually "see the light" and come over to the PC's side .. sounds video-gamish I know but it actually gives a lot of fantastic RP'ing opportunites :) ) ...

You should also be of the temperment where you're going to save the village of helpless peasants because it's the right thing to do .. if your PC's immediate reaction is " forget it, not my problem" or " I want my reward first" this probably isn't the campaign for you.

Again you do not have to play a paladin ! This leaves room for a han-solo type chaotic good character for example.. someone who freely breaks the law, has no problem hitting an opponent while he's down (long as he's still a threat to you and not lying there helpless and not fighting back he's fair game ) , and who steals (particularly a rob from the rich give to the poor type of person) can still, in my eyes, anyways, be of Good alignment.. but I'd want the same CG character to be someone who can't murder a helpless combatant no matter what a piece of garbage said opponent is , or who will (perhaps reluctantly with several complaints that this is a REALLY bad idea ) go rushing in to save that little girl against overwhelming odds (note, I tend not to punish PC's for being HEROES in the true sense of the word to begin with so please don't assume being a good guy equals instant suicide ;) )

Also you should be the type of PC who wants to save villages simply because the poor innocent peasants in the village need to be saved, not the kind of PC whose immediate reaction is "what's in it for me ? I want my reward first " .... basically the PC's should be HEROES..... you can be a Chaotic Good hero with no regard for the rules who gets into bar brawls at the drop of a hat mind you ;) , but you should still be a HERO... I have had issues before with other players who can't embrace the concept of good I'm spelling out here.. everyone has their own definition of "good" and I understand that , but for the type of campaign i'm running and what I've written up THIS is what I need from my players.. if you're uncomfortable with this please realize it's a requirement for this campaign and you'll just end up wasting both your time and mine if you go into the campaign not taking it seriously.

Having said that I do my best to make it worth your while.. my forum is now up , active and running and I am fond of posting "flashback" stories , works of fiction about your character from the past , often stories where you decide what happens next and we incorporate it into the current campaign happenings... I love writing up individualized subplots for each PC too (expect me to ask you lots of ?'s about your character so I can find ways to fully mesh that PC into the campaign world :) ) ... for people who enjoy the RP side (but excitement and action and combat too) you're going to have a blast :)

Andrepartthree
August 5th, 2010, 14:17
All slots are currently full in the group but feel free to PM me if you'd like to go on a "wait list".. you never know, sometimes players are forced to drop out of the group due to real life situations much as I hate to see any of them go :( (work and so forth)