PDA

View Full Version : WoD: Bug Fix

Foen
July 17th, 2010, 10:26
Unzip and place this file in the root of the ruleset directory, to replace the existing utility_preferences.xml.

Fixes a bug with the preferences sheet.

Stuart

saithan
October 29th, 2010, 22:31
since updating to 2.7.2 i found that the nWoD ruleset had a small issue where it added whatever was on the top of the stack as another dice pool. easy enough to fix.

I'm new to nWoD and couldn't figure a smooth way to make use of the 10 again rule. so I added it now when 10s are rolled rerolls are sent to the dice pool stack and the success threshold is set to 10 for all rerolls as stated in world of darkness books.

the fix for the stack bug is included
https://www.mediafire.com/file/hm9jdue3zb5awei/World%20of%20Darkness.zip
hope someone finds this of use.

Cleb
October 30th, 2010, 08:27
is there a way that i could get this to work on an older version?

Cleb
October 30th, 2010, 10:24
also how do you set the difficulty? it seems that if the side menu bar did not become hidden it might work for older versions. but even when i ran it in 2.7 i wasn't able to find a way to adjust the difficulty setting

when i try to run it on 2.0.12 i get a desktopmanager.lua error, i can roll just fine but none of the menu options seem to work. i put a screen cap of what i get.

StuartW
October 30th, 2010, 18:22
The ruleset certainly wasn't built for versions as old as 2.0.12 - for example dynamic sidebars weren't introduced until much later so the code just won't work.

When you ask about difficulty, what do you mean? I'm not sure there is a difficulty setting in the new World of Darkness rules.

Stuart

Cleb
October 30th, 2010, 21:08
normally when you roll, you against a difficulty depending on the the situation, but from what i remember the base difficulty is like 6-7... its been awhile sense i have played so i dont remember everything, i am downloading WoD rule books so i can check if you want but i am sure you have them as well.

also from being an ex avid WoD player you might want to think about adding 5 more dots to your stats so you have about ten in totally as most bad *** forms you are easily above 5. or was there some other panel that i missed in your mod that has it. anyway when i runn 2.7 it looks really good

Cleb
October 30th, 2010, 21:33
I was reading up on difficulty. idk if there is a way that you can allow the GM to set the difficultly automatically and then just have player roll.

excerpt from (the Mage book)

Difficulties
........ A difficulty number is always a number between 2 and 10. Each time one of the dice you roll scores that number or higher, you are considered to have rolled a success. For example, if an action has a difficulty of 6 (the most common difficulty number) and you roll 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, you rolled three successes. The more successes you roll, the better your character did. You need only score one success for your character to perform most actions, but it's a marginal success. Three or more successes usually means that you've succeeded completely. The lower the difficulty number is, the easier the action is. A difficulty of 6 indicates that the task is neither particular easy nor especially difficult. Of course, various modifiers can come into play, so don't expect every task to be equally simple!

The Storyteller should decide on the difficulty for all actions. Only the easiest actions have a difficulty of 2 or 3. A difficulty 2 task is so simple it's rarely worth the trouble to roll. A difficulty 9 task is extremely hard, and success is unlikely for all but the most skilled. Difficulty 10 tasks are almost impossible, for you have an equal chance of botching as you do of succeeding, regardless of the number of dice you roll. Only especially onerous tasks set by the Storyteller will have a difficulty of 10. Almost all tasks will thus have difficulties ranging from 3 to 9, and the majority will range
from 4t? 8.

Botches
Sometimes things go wrong enough to ruin your effort, or perhaps your entire day. The last important rule about dice in the Storyteller system is the "rule of one," also known as botching. Whenever a die comes up one, it cancels a single success. If you roll three successes and three ones, you score (in total) no successes, and your character fails. Sometimes life's just like that.
The easiest way to keep track of this rule is to set aside one of your successful dice with each 1 that comes up. If you have any successes left,
then your character succeeded; if you don't, he didn't. As stated previously, you fail if you roll as many or more 1s than successes.
----
*my thoughts*
maybe the easiest way for your to fix what you have if you need to at all is that if a player rolls a ten or a one just have it say re-roll or GM remove once success.

if you can set the difficulty and have it add and remove successes that would be awesome. also can you set up a floating box that is open to the player, gm, or everyone that would set a global or player specific difficulty?

more on your character sheets next post. I KNOW DON'T GET SO EXCITED

Cleb
October 30th, 2010, 22:08
Um you know I just realized that I didn't ask you if you wanted me to give you some pointers on your mod as a WoD player. would you like to hear what my thoughts are? I don't want to just jabbering on and possibly coming off as rude. ^^ if its "no" then I will b quite XD

I had a few idea about your character sheet breakdown in regards to making it more of a universal character sheet instead of just vampire. it might be less work for you in the long run idk.

well bless you
ttyl

StuartW
October 30th, 2010, 22:44
My search of Mage: The Awakening found no mention of 'Botches' as a keyword - are we talking about the same version of the game?

The ruleset is based on my copy of the World of Darkness Storytelling system from 2004, which is compatible with Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken and Mage: The Awakening.

Cheers

Stuart

StuartW
October 30th, 2010, 22:52
Ahh I think I see the difference: the ruleset implements the Storytelling System, not the Storyteller system (see here (https://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Storytelling_System)), so our wires are crossed a bit.

In simple answer to the original question, there isn't anything for difficulties or botches, as these have been changed in the storytelling system, and the rule of ones has been dropped.

Hope that helps

Stuart

saithan
October 30th, 2010, 22:59
you must be talking about oWoD. nWoD 8+ is flat out success and dificulty is rated by how many successes re needed to complete the task.instant tasks difficulty is set my modifiers relevant to the situation. less dice in the pool the less chances.

the character sheet he made is exact to that of the new World of Darkness.

The update that I posted, I did too quick and there are bugs in my own code (not enough test in play). though right now testing the fix and added chance rolls.

Cleb
November 1st, 2010, 19:18
i was under revised, but i don't know who plays this Storytelling system you refer to. but then again they are always changing stupid rules and just when you get settled on it something else comes out.

seems kind of odd to have a fixed difficulty of 8 is that what you have it set to. well coming from a WoD player for your mod. it still would be nice to have the option to set your difficult verse being stuck in that version. the botchs or whatever i guess.

are you planing on coming out with other char sheets or just vampire? or come up with a more universal char sheet?

Cleb
November 1st, 2010, 20:56
As an old WoD player that rule change annoys the heck out of me. XD would you be willing to see to the old way for us OG players?

but you character sheet only covers vampire. i think a good way to make it more universal have the middle and bottom of the character sheet have blank lines with 10 bubble slots more (ten might be a bit much but it should be better then trying to figure out how to add those in somehow if you have to)

-skills-
also with the skill it might be better to put those on a whole new page like in the d20 system. and allow the player or add slots.

-were creatures-
also adding a page to were creatures. if you look at the werespider.jpg 4 sections with a blank set up should work well.

-Health-
also for the health section you might want to add 2 boxes above bruised level and two below incapacitated. adding boxes above because you can have merits or enchantments that increase your health and for below incap. it seems like there is a few sheets that have that option. but by default it would be nice if you could have them grayed out or turned off.

-random-
most of what i am thinking about might seem like you would be adding to much, but as a stated i think it would be better to have more slots then less.

so clearly form looking at everything the major differences are in the bottom middle. like if your a mage you have quintessence or vampire blood pool.

bellow is some examples sheets... the next post will be an ideal character sheet. and i have seen then sheet before, but i could not find it so i just paint so sorry if it is not more pro looking my photo shop is not working atm.

Cleb
November 1st, 2010, 21:02
here is the new sheets. i do see the difficultly in trying to come up with something that works for race or whatever. i pretty much have every book and character sheet so i tried to take all those elements and put them together. the red bars are where the player or gm would input the information. the skills being blank might be unnecessary but maybe you can do the eight or the 12 that they all seems to have or you can leave the other four blank. either way to have the ability to add the skills you need is helpful. but i guess the nice thing about them being blank is it is less work for you and you can use the spots for something else if need be as a play.

Cleb
November 1st, 2010, 21:06
meh o crap i forgot to include the changeling in the other post. also i have all the books in pdf if there is one you need or been looking for let me know and i can send you the pdf.

also i decided to do with 7 dots as it seem to fit and give some room for growth with out being retarded

saithan
November 2nd, 2010, 03:13
Here is a fixed version of the file i posted before with some extras.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/rzdghz6cv8jggzw/World%20of%20Darkness-fixed.zip

the 10 again rule is fixed to properly handle multiple 10
again rolls (this time the 8+ counts for success on 10 again, as in the book rules).
added GM modifier sending. command example: ^+2 assisted
drag to players portrait to load the mod to their pool.

added chance roll:
if the attribute+skill - modifier = 0 or less you can hold Alt and double click the dice pool which will load the chance die double click the stack again without Alt and the chance roll will be thrown only 10 counts for a success on chance roll and all chance 10 again rolls.

holding Alt while dice are thrown and land will make the dice revealed to the players so Gm can switch between secret rolls and revealed rolls at will.

hope some one finds these additions of use.

StuartW
November 2nd, 2010, 07:20
@Cleb

The WoD ruleset I posted to the wiki (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/World_of_Darkness) has character sheets for all the gamelines released at the time, albeit many of them are placeholders (but Vampire and Mage are both full sheets). The GM right-clicks on the button at the top right of the character sheet and can then choose which gameline to use from a radial menu (see attachment).

The gamelines are only available if the GM chooses to load the extensions at session startup.

Stuart

Cleb
November 2nd, 2010, 19:43
do you plan to do the other races? wait so players cant choose between mage or vampire? don't you think that is kind of weird XD or can a player still create either one and then import based upon what the gm chooses?

saithan
November 2nd, 2010, 22:15
no, it means that if the gm loads that extension then it is selectable for players.

StuartW
November 3rd, 2010, 07:31
Actually, the GM chooses which type of immortal the player character can be - this allows the player to select it indirectly (by discussing his/her choice with the GM) but prevents the player from doing so without the GM's consent.

It seemed better that way - but you could always modify the ruleset to give players more freedom.

Stuart

Cleb
November 3rd, 2010, 19:50
would it be to hard to have the old rule system in place for your WoD?

Cleb
November 3rd, 2010, 20:05
and do you plan to make other characters sheets

StuartW
November 3rd, 2010, 21:28
I don't expect to make an old WoD ruleset, as I'm no longer active in ruleset development. Similarly, I probably won't be making any other gameline extension (character sheets) for this ruleset.

Sorry, but RL commitments mean that I don't get as much free time as I used to.

Stuart

Shinmuriel
November 12th, 2010, 11:22
Ok I love the fact that this allows me to play WoD with friends across the states, so don't think im ungrateful.

I'll just me blunt, the dice roll change was not needed. It worked great with players who have the common sense to simply reroll 10's and cancel ones themselves. How dumb do you think people are? The changes made the dice roller miserable, can I turn them off? My players sometimes liked rolling several smaller pools of dice instead of one large pool and now you have to roll one dice pool then click "dice pool" to roll 10's then roll your next dice pool...

How about this... (again don't think im ungrateful <3)

Stop messing with stuff that works and change VITAE and BLOOD POTENCY and DISCIPLINES on the werewolf character sheet to ESSENCE and GIFTS and PRIMAL URGE. I don't even have a werewolf player to be honest, but the work that has gone into such a beautifully laid out rule set seems wasted with small issues like that. I know im a little OCD but obsessive people make the world a better place. <3

StuartW
November 12th, 2010, 16:31
The ruleset is incomplete: I only ever did a proper sheet for Vampires, and another kind soul from the community created the Mage sheet. The ruleset page states quite clearly that everything else is just placeholder material. Before having a pop at this ruleset, which is free and reflects hundreds of hours of unpaid effort, you might like to pause and ask yourself if you'd rather I never bothered.

As regards the recent changes, I'm not currently working on this project (real life and paid employment are also important too), so I'll leave it to the other unpaid developers to comment.

Stuart

drahkar
November 12th, 2010, 16:41
I agree.

Offering suggestions and pointing out issues is one thing, but you can at least be a little gracious about it. commenting that you don't mean to be ungrateful, doesn't make it better.

I know the individual who has done the last update would be interested in hearing people's thoughts and suggestions. Its part of why we do what we do. But as StuartW said, keep in mind you are reaping the benefits of what is often months of unpaid work.

That being said I should be talking to the individual that did the .24 updates to the ruleset tonight and I'll see if i can make some suggestions that might address some of the issues you have experienced and make sure that they know that of the cosmetic changes needed to the Hunter sheet.

saithan
November 12th, 2010, 17:44
first off, you do not have to roll the ten again just drag it off to clear.

second OCD doesn't make the world better. makes people respect your opinion less. we are not getting paid and the updates I added are simply changes I did for my own games.

note: old saying easier to catch more flies with honey.

Shinmuriel
November 13th, 2010, 01:16
I'm not trying to catch flies im just saying what needs to be said. Like it or not, the recent changes to the rules are annoying to myself (and i imagine a lot of others) so before uploading YOUR changes to YOUR private game to wiki, think about how others would like to experience the ruleset. I may seem rude but im just being playful, if my desire was to troll the site you would know it. No hard feelings.

saithan
November 13th, 2010, 01:45
this will be the last of what i have to say on any your issue.
1 you are trying to catch flies, cuz simply myself or no one else here is on your payroll. so if you have a problem go back to the version you were using before. your idea of playful leaves a lot to be desired.

Hmm (hey can you make a switch to turn that feature off?)

as for vampire and the other issues. well I play hunter when/if i get around to playing the other branches I might add to those and then again might not.

drahkar
November 13th, 2010, 01:53
I'm not trying to catch flies im just saying what needs to be said. Like it or not, the recent changes to the rules are annoying to myself (and i imagine a lot of others) so before uploading YOUR changes to YOUR private game to wiki, think about how others would like to experience the ruleset. I may seem rude but im just being playful, if my desire was to troll the site you would know it. No hard feelings.

As saith said, there is a simple solution to this. Instead of spending your time on here, upsetting the people who spend their free time creating, adding and developing for the community for free. You should download .23 again, fix the problems with it for yourself and use that.

saith has incorporated some useful features that took a considerable amount of time to create, incorporate and test to make sure it works. If you don't like how its done, you are more than welcome to try and build it out differently. This ruleset was originally developed by Foen and after some discussion he agreed that he didn't mind having saith continue working on it because of his extremely limited free time prevents him to work on it. Will saith continue adding to it? Its hard to say. Will he add a switch to turn things off? Also hard to say. I can assure you that the tone of your messages isn't the best way to get people to do anything for you.

And no. Its not a 'playful' tone.

Shinmuriel
November 14th, 2010, 17:21
That's fair enough, where can I redownload .23? I'm tired of having to clear the dice pool every time I roll initiative for NPC's. And perhaps in a future update someone might want to add the option of turning off minor changes like this.

What was wrong with .23 exactly anyway? If I may ask.

Shinmuriel
November 21st, 2010, 13:23
Oh and not to mention clan weaknesses like the gangrel and nosferatu where you do not re-roll 10's... Yea having to clear each time gets kinda old. I guess your particular player base lacked these clans when the changes were made or im sure they would have made mention of it.

dsakura
November 29th, 2010, 03:34
I can't find the root. In the installation show the root of the FG2, and there no have the folder. My version is the last.

Thx

ps. Where i find the modules to nwod?
ps 2. sorry my english

drahkar
November 29th, 2010, 16:25
The root is where the application itself is installed. To be able to say where it is on your machine, we need to know if you are running windows XP, Vista or Windows 7.

Are you asking about the Modules (Which you would make yourself so I'm assuming probably not) Or the extensions for the character sheets? The character sheet extensions reside in the extension folder. The fastest way to access that on any Windows Instance is to go to 'Start Menu'->'Fantasy Grounds II'->'Application Data Folder' and in there you will see a folder called 'Extensions'. You will find all of the character sheet extensions there.

Finally don't worry about your English. You were able to get your point across which is the most important part. :)

-- D

I can't find the root. In the installation show the root of the FG2, and there no have the folder. My version is the last.

Thx

ps. Where i find the modules to nwod?
ps 2. sorry my english

dsakura
November 29th, 2010, 22:32
drahar, thx man. So, while the installation I choice the root of the FR 2, but there dont have folders from WoD neither in App Data folder.

Modules i want to say the books, like in the d20 ruleset, if is possible i make it. Its possible add sheet? I want to adapt for ancient era.

Thats it, and thx again

DS

StuartW
November 30th, 2010, 06:20
There are two 'root' folders for FG2, the install folder (usually C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II or C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II) and the data folder. If you are running XP, the data folder is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II

If you are running Vista or Windows 7, the data folder is:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

To make life more difficult, Windows hides the 'Application Data' or 'AppData' folder by default, so you have to select 'show hidden files and folders' in Windows Explorer. As Drahkar says, you can more easily get to the data folder from the Start menu.

These two folders are used for different things:

The program folder is where the FG2 executable goes, and where certain types of ruleset (called PAK rulesets, because they have the .pak extension) are placed. The default d20 ruleset goes here, for example.

The data folder is used for most rulesets, extensions, modules, portraits, tokens, campaigns etc. You should note, however, that you will not be able to install new rulesets and extensions if you are using the Lite license, only if you are using the Full or Ultimate license.

I hope that helps, and welcome to the FG forums!

Stuart

dsakura
November 30th, 2010, 16:18
Hmm. The Wod have one archive? .pak. I found it. In same folder i paste the utily preference.To make changes i need to edit the .pak? Want to add a alternative sheet. Have info about this here?

And dont have modules to WoD? way to create one?

Thx and the ruleset is very good!

DS

ps. In the FG2 folder locate in App Data, dont have any folder from WoD. Only the archive pak in the FG2 folder in Program Files. Both without the utility_preferences.xml from WOD.