PDA

View Full Version : Need rather urgent help.

Kyo
July 15th, 2010, 22:10
Hello there fellow watcher of this post and possible savior.

So I got FG2 and and start it up and I get three options; Host a game as gamemaster - Join a game as a player - Create and View local characters.

Now... My problem is very much likely to be a noob one but I'll ask anyway, I want to join someone elses game but how do I do? I click the "Join a game as a player" but then I need to know the address of the host, is that something I should talk with a gamemaster here in pm with or how do I do?

ronnke
July 15th, 2010, 22:44
Yes, you will need to talk with your GM and get his/her IP address or the alias that may have been created for the game. If the GM has posted details of the game in the Game Calendar, then you might find the alias setup there.

FG Game Calender
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/

Kyo
July 16th, 2010, 00:00
Allright, thank you for that quick reply

Oh and if anyone is willing to teach me a little something about this I would be glad to accept any sort of help, ingame then I mean.
I've been writing and playing Play-by-forum roleplays for about five years but I've never played a board game before.

Sigurd
July 16th, 2010, 00:17
You'll learn a lot the first game you play. Its really pretty intuitive.

It can be worth it to connect early to a session and ask the DM to help you with the whys and wherefores.

I find that there is always enough downtime and goodwill to teach people because although a lot is intuitive refinement\help is a good idea.

Sigurd

It's also very helpful to be clear what game you want to play so because the tweaks in various rulesets differ.

Xorn
July 16th, 2010, 03:15
Well as far as playing an RPG, I think you'll get more help from the game books (Players Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide for D&D, for example). As far as learning your way around FG2, you might take a glance at the tutorials in my signature, they are centered around the 4E ruleset, but most of it is applicable to any ruleset.

Kyo
July 16th, 2010, 11:06
I see, I dont suppose there is any way to just join a game only to observe it?
Or if someone is willing to give me a host address in order to start a game and teach me from the bottom.

And since I haven't even started playing yet I suppose I'm quite open for suggestions..

Kyo
July 16th, 2010, 12:53
The rulesets I can choose are:
d20
d20_JPG
d20-MSRD
GURPS_4e
SavageWorlds
SWSE

...If that helps in any way.

Xorn
July 16th, 2010, 13:12
It's possible to join someone else's game and just observe (just cancel at the character select screen), although it does mean the DM has one more person to share images/maps with, but that's how I got started with using FG2 was watching another DM's game to get a feel for things I did and didn't like.

I play in Tenian's game every Wednesday night and stream it live, so any number of people can watch that video. I was recording them for awhile, but stopped. I'm also working on an Example of Play tutorial now (kind of a "putting it all together" for the first three videos), and there's a preview of it up.

Bear in mind everything I've suggested is going to show you how to use FG2 to run a game, not how to play that game itself. But when first starting RPGs the best way to see how they are played is to watch a game (after you've had a rules primer of course).

I'm still battling with finding enough time to finish up these tutorials, but I am going to be running some one-shot runs for new people (both to FG2 and 4E D&D) using some of the D&D Experience modules. All I can say is they will be Soon™ at the moment though.

Kyo
July 16th, 2010, 13:40
thank you for the reply =)