PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Skill Base

Vudo
July 6th, 2010, 12:05
Hi,

just a bug report: the base for the First Aid skill cannot be changed. It currently is set for modern campaigns, for Fantasy one needs to change it.

--
cheers,

Vudo

peterb
July 6th, 2010, 12:51
If you want to change the skill bases you need to create an extension. See page 25 and forward in the BRP ruleset manual (which can be downloaded for free from the store (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=CHA2020aFG2)).

Vudo
July 7th, 2010, 00:32
hm, no, one can edit all other Skill bases for skills that are modified by the time the setting takes place, e.g. Medicine, Knowledge and others.

I guess it was simply overlooked.

Foen
July 7th, 2010, 06:43
@Vudo

peterb is right, you can edit skill bases by creating an extension for your setting. It is covered in the 'Adapting the Ruleset' section of the User Guide (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/manuals/BasicRoleplayingforFantasyGroundsII-UserGuide.pdf).

Stuart

Vudo
July 7th, 2010, 06:49
Hi Stuart,

ok, that won't be an issue :), but why is it possible to change base chances for some other skills then? I mean, the First Aid is set to 30%, implying a modern setting. The % for other skills are 0%, though they should be 1% for modern settings. So it is either an error (and First Aid should default to INTx1), or the others are typed in for the wrong setting?

*confused*

Foen
July 7th, 2010, 07:29
Hi Vudo

I don't remember where I got the skill chances from, it was probably from the face of the generic character sheet (p381 of my BRP rulebook), which shows 30% for First Aid and leaves Knowledge undefined.

Stuart

RosenMcStern
July 7th, 2010, 12:55
It could be convenient to create and distribute 4-5 default extensions based on the most common genres (Fantasy/Medieval, Modern, Sci-Fi, Superhero). Something fan-made that could be used as a base for further extensions. I have experimented that an appropriate skill list is important for new players: it gives them important directions in the character creation process.

I have already done two extensions, one of which is generic enough to be useful to others, perhaps (Medieval, it adjusts skill bases and deletes Education from characteristics). Maybe I could post it next weekend.

peterb
July 7th, 2010, 16:02
Isn't the problem here that such extensions will contain source code for which Smiteworks claim a copyright? I'd gladdy share my two Stormbringer extensions and my RQ II extension (when it's done), but I'd like to get the copyright issue settled first.

Foen
July 7th, 2010, 18:09
The extension source code isn't an issue, provided you don't charge for the extension, but the game IP might be. Generic extensions (such as Modern, Fantasy etc) will be OK, but using Stormbringer or Runequest material without copyrightholders' consent isn't permitted.

Hope that helps

Stuart

peterb
July 7th, 2010, 18:47
The extension source code isn't an issue, provided you don't charge for the extension, but the game IP might be. Generic extensions (such as Modern, Fantasy etc) will be OK, but using Stormbringer or Runequest material without copyrightholders' consent isn't permitted.

Hope that helps

Stuart

That does help. However, I really can't see what IP could be challenged by, for example, a Stormbringer extension. The source code is 98% the same as the default sample extension. It's just a different set of skill names and different algorithms for damage bonus and category bonuses - neither of these are copyright protected.

If you would try to ship XMLified versions of rules books then I understand the problem, but if Smiteworks are fine with us offering modified versions of the sample extension then there should be no other IP involved (but Smiteworks) and thus nothing to worry about.

Foen
July 7th, 2010, 19:52
The FG Wiki (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Main_Page) fills this gap: stuff that Smiteworks can't sanction can be distributed there at the posters' risk. Moderators would likely object to flagrant IP breach, but there isn't the same caution as you need to run a commercial business.

I post my various extensions/rulesets there (such as the Traveller ruleset).

Stuart

peterb
July 7th, 2010, 23:20
OK. :) The FG Wiki it will be...

Oberoten
July 8th, 2010, 10:09
Excellent. Hmm. A fellow swede no less, eh?

- Obe

Oberoten
July 8th, 2010, 10:12
Sadly the link to the Elric extension does not seem to work.

- Obe

peterb
July 8th, 2010, 12:54
Fixed... a blank space had found its way into the file name... :)

RosenMcStern
July 10th, 2010, 16:00
The Medieval extension is ready but I have not enough rights to upload it to the FG Wiki. Can you fix this, Oberoten?

Oberoten
July 10th, 2010, 21:10
Sure. I will fix it right away. There shouldn't be a problem uploading at all if you have a user, but just to make sure I changed your status a tad.

- Obe