PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Open Table Sessions

VenomousFiligree
July 4th, 2010, 10:52
I posted about an Open Table Dungeon Crawl, are there any other game types that folk would like to play?

Not sure what would fit to an Open Table :confused:

Spyke
July 5th, 2010, 18:33
A fantasy or SF dungeon crawl's probably the easiest to make work in an Open Table format. If the players are changing week to week, there needs to be a good way to catch up on ongoing story elements, so you'd want a genre that can minimise these and make the action the most important part.

While the game can (and ideally should) have a great, unfolding story, this needs to be easily reviewed when new players arrive. There also needs to be a justification for this material being available, updated, back at the 'home base'.

Fun idea, though. Count me in.

Spyke

VenomousFiligree
July 5th, 2010, 18:49
The hard part comes (I think) if the PCs aren't at a convenient point at the end of the session. A fantasy setting can have them whizzed back, by some magical means, for whatever reason. Another setting I thought might be good would be Weird Wars as there's a whole army to draw characters from, however if the groups on a secret mission and it doesn't end at a convenient point, it's harder to have a reason for a change in characters.

Mask_of_winter
July 5th, 2010, 23:11
Necropolis with pods dropping guys from the sky would work. Necessary Evil with Dr. Destruction too.

Spyke
July 6th, 2010, 12:57
Various SF genres could handle the snap back to base issue.

In fact, wrap the whole thing in virtual reality in a modern hard SF setting and you can play any story you want, with the characters dropping back to the real world (or is it...) at the end of the session.

Spyke

mr_h
July 6th, 2010, 14:09
What about converting Gurps Infinite Worlds campaign? Lots of Genres, easy to travel to and from locations (relatively speaking).

Doswelk
July 6th, 2010, 16:10
Savage_Suzerain has a section handling this very problem!

And allows the same characters to swap genres!

Looking forward to trying it at some point!