PDA

View Full Version : Open Table Dungeon Crawl

VenomousFiligree
July 3rd, 2010, 19:09
A while back someone (Griogre?) on FUM ran an Open Table dungeon crawl, which seemed quite popular. Would there be any interest in a Savage Worlds version?

Phil

Mask_of_winter
July 4th, 2010, 12:19
Please explain

VenomousFiligree
July 4th, 2010, 15:08
Each week whoever turned up would go on a dungeon crawl, some characters played every session, some only played once. At the end of the evening’s session the characters were all whizzed back to their start location, to allow for a reasonable explanation of why the party was changing.

I only played one session, (the times weren't great for me) and I can't remember the rationale behind the "teleporting back".

Mask_of_winter
July 4th, 2010, 20:20
And then what? the new party would go through the same dungeon again? or the rooms would be without the monsters the party from the week before defeated? And the new group try to complete the dungeon?

VenomousFiligree
July 4th, 2010, 20:24
The "group" would act like a normal group some characters would continue, new ones might join. The "group" would carry on exploring the dungeon from where they left off last time. I believe the previous "Open Table" dungeon had a couple of players that played every week so there was some continuity.

Edit:
I thought it was only advertised on FUM, however I've just found some posts here on FG (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/search.php?searchid=339372).

Mask_of_winter
July 4th, 2010, 21:12
Ok, got it.

I understand how much of a good idea it is for a medium like FG2 where players come and go.

It goes with the Convention Style game philosophy I want to adopt. Yet, there seems to be very little interest. Players see the word "campaign" , they get all excited, want to commit, yet life happens and one day they dont show up and you're carefully thought of campaign goes through a grind.

Nevermind me, I'm just venting hehe...

Seriously though, I endorse your idea Murgh.

VenomousFiligree
July 4th, 2010, 21:18
... and you're carefully thought of campaign goes through a grind...
Doesn't even have to be campaign, I've had a few single scenarios (2-4 FG sessions) that haven't been completed due to player drop out :(

As long as you can come up with a reasonable excuse for the change in players, then it should work.

Mask_of_winter
July 4th, 2010, 21:55
I used to justify player absence by stating that their group had been cursed by an evil god and teleport them to hell to torture them. While away, they also sometimes received visions that would help the group understand an obscure part of the scenario or act as a hook for another mission.

In a sci-fi setting it could be aliens, FBI or CIA for a modern setting.

RobG
July 5th, 2010, 05:36
Hi Phil!

This sounds cool to me, I'd be keen depending on the timeslot.

Rob

Doswelk
July 5th, 2010, 19:10
I'd be happy to play (time/day permitting of course!)

Tristram
July 5th, 2010, 21:57
I'd be interested as well depending on the day and time.

I saw Griogre's Rappan Athuk posts here and always wanted to jump in but life got in the way. I believe in his game there was a group of good clerics trying to cleanse an evil dungeon. The dungeon was magically sealed and adventurers had to be teleported inside but after a short time (one game session) the PCs got booted back out by the magic of the dungeon. The next session whoever was willing would be teleported back in to the point where the last group ended.

-Tristram

VenomousFiligree
July 5th, 2010, 22:06
Good to see that there's interest. I'm shortly going to be away from the internet for about a month, when I come back we can sort out some dates and times. To get as many people involved as possible then Saturday or Sunday would probably work best.