PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Modifier Stack

JRKilroy
July 2nd, 2010, 14:10
I just purchased FGII and I have been watching the various tutorials and videos. I am working through the various games systems I like to run to get an idea of how I would use them in FGII.

Can the GM apply the modifier stack to player roll after the fact? For example, the player rolls a 4 on d6 and trades hero point with the game master. Can the GM then apply an additional mod to the roll?

Thank you,

Phystus
July 2nd, 2010, 15:02
I suppose it might depend on the ruleset, but in most cases you'd have to deal with it the same way you would if you were playing face-to-face:

Player: A four. Dang, needed a 6. Can I burn 2 fate points?
DM: Um, sure. So that makes it a 6. Success!
(DM manually applies whatever effect success would have)
Player: Yay!

~P

Moon Wizard
July 3rd, 2010, 18:49
I've found for the game systems that I run as a GM that I can simply apply the effect on the fly (i.e. manually, in my head), and make any adjustments. I can usually do that faster than adjusting a modifier and making multiple clicks anyway.

For example, if a character misses a target with an attack roll and they have an ability that lets them add a bonus after they roll, I just inform them if the new total would hit.

The other options would most likely require ruleset changes that would stop the action in order to ask the user for each roll whether they would like to modify their roll before applying.

Of course, I primarily play 3.5E and 4E, so other systems may vary in their usage of post-roll modifiers. You can try posting your request on the forum for the system you are interested in, and see if anyone has ideas that might work better for that system.

Cheers,
JPG