PDA

View Full Version : Convention Style

Mask_of_winter
July 1st, 2010, 23:21
I want to run convention style Savage Worlds games for the community. I'm in GMT -5, available Saturday afternoons and weeknights until 10pm or so.

I own pretty much all the official settings and licensee settings as well as several savage tales and adventures and like most of them. I'm willing to take requests. If this format is something you're interested in just post your availability on here and requests. When I get enough people I'll announce dates.

Mask_of_winter
July 4th, 2010, 21:58
hmmm... guess not huh? lol

GunnarGreybeard
July 4th, 2010, 22:07
4th of July weekend might not be the best time to recruit. :D There seem to be a lot of SW fans around here so I'm sure there will be some bites.

mr_h
July 5th, 2010, 02:31
Actually I'm intrigued by the idea and meant to reply when you first posted this, but it was a busy weekend:)

Explain more about the convention style? I've never been to a convention, so I'm not sure if I've got the idea behind it correct.

Mask_of_winter
July 5th, 2010, 02:34
It basically is a short adventure designed to be played in 4 hours. Pre-generated characters are usually provided. You show up, sit down and play.

VenomousFiligree
July 5th, 2010, 08:52
I've tried these, calling them "one shots". Previosuly I've tried pre-published one shots, however real time and virtual time ain't the same! They usually end up taking 2 - 3 sessions in FG.

It's definitely the way to go if you haven't got a regular group that you're happy with.

I'm happy to both play and GM, my avialability is UK evenings, however I'm shortly off for my final sea trip, so wont be around until mid August.

White Haired Man have published a couple of "one shots" I believe.

Mask_of_winter
July 5th, 2010, 11:57
After over a year of running games on FG2 I know how slow the pace can be. The PEG one sheets can hardly be ran table top in 4 hours. The trick is to create your own material, to use voice chat and plan very little and have a couple of optional encounters. A GM NPC helps also.

I'd be happy to run those with you Murgh. Saturday afternoon (evening for you). SW Explorer Society offers support for GM's that want to run games.

Mid august sounds good. I'm about to run Waylaid on Wayland (TAG's Daring tales of the Space Lanes) on Saturday afternoons starting mid July. It will definitely take us a few sessions to get through what I have prepared.

After that, we could run a poll and see which SW setting the community is most interested in playing.

VenomousFiligree
July 5th, 2010, 12:14
I agree voice chat speeds things up, however some of the best RP I've been involved with was text chat. So I sometimes wonder if the trade off is worth it?

Mask_of_winter
July 5th, 2010, 12:18
Yes, it is easier to roleplay your character and NPCs with text chat yes. If you have a group familiar with the rules and have been playing together for a while you can usually do without voice chat. It's the OOC questions that bog down gameplay.