PDA

View Full Version : Interesting observation (image sharing problems)

Leonal
June 29th, 2010, 06:35
I've previously mentioned that I've had troubles sharing images and custom tokens with a player in Hong Kong.

Today we tried to have him connect with a second client and a different user name, and was rather surprised when the map and token I tested with shared almost instantly on the new user name. Usually I had to redraw the visible mask for him to see what's below.

If his characters are released and bound to a new login name image sharing seems to work fine.

The image shows after a new mask has been removed on top and is visible by both, but the mask that has been previously removed is only visible by the new user name. Usual user name on the left, while the new one is the client on the right.

Any idea why it would be different between user names?

(We've sometimes had connection problems in other games too as data traffic from Korea to HK goes through China, but data traffic from HK to Korea goes directly it seems)

Moon Wizard
June 29th, 2010, 19:28
There is an issues that I uncovered with the current FG where any item that was ever shared with a user is always shared with a user when they log in, regardless of whether they can access it. It seems to fit what you are seeing.

This means that the longer that you play a campaign, and the more material you keep in the campaign; the more data needs to be transferred every time someone logs in. You can work around the issue by changing user names, but this may cause other issues due to the ever growing list of user names not ever being removed from the database.

In the test version (2.7), I added a facility to allow the GM to "unshare" objects in the campaign in order to manage how much data is shared with the clients, as well as fixing the removeHolder function to prevent database bloat.

Cheers,
JPG

Leonal
June 29th, 2010, 23:07
Ah, that's good to know.

Thanks and keep up the good work. :)

edit: I was discussing this with my player/GM and would it be possible to have a "flush" key to remove all holders in the database? (Considering much of the db.xml consists of <holder name="user2" /> on every ability in addition to the "true" owner.)

Having little coding knowledge I don't know how important each of those are, but I assume this would require players to select their character again, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

(We use d20_JPG modified for Pathfinder btw)