PDA

View Full Version : [Free VOIP] GSC - Total Gaming Client

Xorn
June 29th, 2010, 03:15
I know I've mentioned in the distant past that my group uses GSC for our VOIP solution, but I can't find the old thread and felt like mentioning it again.

https://getgsc.com

While it might look like an instant message client from the front page, that's honestly the least awesome thing about it. Now it does function like a IM client while you're logged in (login registration is free), but you can create a private, remotely hosted, 200-person limit VOIP channel.

You have full admin rights, and can configure the rooms, priveleged users, sound settings, everything. The sound is great and it functions just like Ventrilo or Teamspeak, with the exceptions of being FREE and not requiring anyone to host it!

This is a fantastic free VOIP solution--my gaming buddies and I have been using this program for over two years!

dm-crazy
June 29th, 2010, 08:48
well we use Ventrilo, but i need to be the host... i will try that! :)

Xorn
June 29th, 2010, 12:39
Before we found GSC, we tried Ventrilo, Teamspeak, and Skype, all which required one of us to host, or paying for a remotely hosted server.

Now we use GSC. :)

Griogre
July 1st, 2010, 20:56
I used GSC a year or so ago and I found it disappointing with a lot of disconnects. Admittedly this was with the RPGA group and its quite possible there was a lot of different versions being used.

Are you playing with the version 2.0? Maybe I'll have to give it another shot.

Sorontar
July 1st, 2010, 21:11
I used GSC a year or so ago and I found it disappointing with a lot of disconnects. Admittedly this was with the RPGA group and its quite possible there was a lot of different versions being used.

Have to say we got a lot of disconnects as well when we used it so we now have ventrilo running on my spare PC downstairs.

Xorn
July 1st, 2010, 21:46
When we first started using it we had a lot of disconnects, but ever since we got to 2.0 (the new version) it works wonderfully. We use it for our raid chat on WoW, too.

Zeus
July 1st, 2010, 23:49
I'll also have to take a look at version 2.0, continuous disconnects in the previous releases ruled GSC out for me and my groups.

Up until about a month ago I was happy using Skype's conference capabilities but since I have been multiplexing background music and ambient sound effects into the stream, its comms quality has reared problems namely too much background noise.

Also, after a recent jaunt into the world of Video streaming (thanks Xorn for another addiction!) I have been contemplating recording my group RPG nights and putting them up on my groups portal for reference. Someone here suggested Mumble as a good up and coming new VoIP software solution and I have to say after reading into it and trying it out I have been simply staggered at the quality of the comms it can handle. The fact that you can use it whilst offloading the hosting of the server to another party (free at that too!) makes it a clear winner at the moment.

Still I will hold off until I have had a chance to see GSC 2.0 in action but its going to take some special to convince me to not go with Mumble.

We will have to wait and see.