PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party Targeting

m455954
June 29th, 2010, 01:01
Hi - although I have now successfully run my first 4E session using FGII I'm still a noob to the program and having some issues with 4E effects.

One of my players is a Warlock and we're trying to figure out the correct syntax for the effect of Warlock's Curse - this should be a fairly simple one but I'm sumped.

The effect adds 1d6 to the next attack by the same character against the same target

If I set it to SELF; TRGT; DMG:1d6 and the player double clicks it then it correctly adds 1d6 to the next damage roll of the character - but it does it for whichever target he has selected, not the one he had targetted at the time he placed the curse.

I've messed around with the Self/Trgt button and tried shift dropping the effect onto the target and I can't seem to get it to apply in the correct way.

How should we be configuring the effect and how should he be applying it for the correct outcome?

Thanks,

Mark.

m455954
June 29th, 2010, 01:31
Hmmm... ok, seem to have figured it out now, but it's actually a bit un-intuitive for the player.

The player has to target his OWN character (after having untargetted anything else) and then shift-drag the effect onto the NPC he want's to curse

not entirely self evident, but it has the desired effect.

If there's a better way of doing this I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks,

Mark.

EugeneZ
June 29th, 2010, 02:05
That's the only way. It'd be nicer if there was an easier way to do it but we only recently got the ability to do it at all, sooo. :)

However, the warlock in my party has almost NO attacks that target multiple creatures with the same damage type (it's usually an alternative damage roll to other creatures). In those cases, there's not too much reason to use the targeted effect... just double click a normal self DMG: 1d6 effect right before rolling the damage on a cursed guy. Busting out the shift key once in a while isn't too big a deal, IMO.

Xorn
June 29th, 2010, 02:29
Hmmm... ok, seem to have figured it out now, but it's actually a bit un-intuitive for the player.

The player has to target his OWN character (after having untargetted anything else) and then shift-drag the effect onto the NPC he want's to curse

not entirely self evident, but it has the desired effect.

If there's a better way of doing this I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks,

Mark.

It's a little late, but I very clearly demonstrate 3rd Party Targeting several times in the new Player Quickstart tutorial I made. :) Now if Livestream and I can resume playing nicely again I'll get the high quality video up again.

I swear, I upload it at 1024x576 and it plays it at 512x288!?

Moon Wizard
June 29th, 2010, 04:03
The 3rd party targeting feature was primarily designed for leader types to apply buff effects on the party that only target a single creature. Therefore, the best way to accomplish that was to build it the way it is now, since you can only specify a single target by dropping an effect.

I'd still like to build a better targeted effect system, but it would require a significant redesign of targeting so it's on the wish list.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 29th, 2010, 04:05
Also, I think the better solution for warlock curse damage is to implement conditional effects. (I.e. If target has Cursed effect, then apply damage bonus.). Of course, then I'd also have to implement a once per round application option as well.

JPG

m455954
June 29th, 2010, 09:38
Thanks for the replies guys - it all makes sense now. I think you're right Moon, a conditional effect would be the best way to go - I'll look forward to it when you eventually get there :)

Thanks again for such a great piece of software.

Mark.

Nilaihah
September 1st, 2010, 02:59
Sorry to resurrect this one, but no point in making a new thread for the same.

The issue I am having is with Hunter Quarry. I have it set as Self/One DMG:1d6 (SELF; ONCE; DMG:1d6 in the Mini).

Following the instructions on the tutorial video doesn't work, but I found out that if I do it from the DM session instead of the player, pushing SHIFT while drag and dropping, it works.

If I do it on the player client regardless of whether I use SHIFT or not when I drag to the CT or the map token, the effect is instead applied to the monster itself.

In other words, from the player panel:

1- Target self in the map.
2- Push shift, drag Hunter's Quarry
3- Drop Hunter's Quarry on the monster in the CT
4- Now the Monster has the bonus damage effect.

From the DM panel:

1- Make PC target self through the CT.
2- Push shift, drag Hunter's Quarry
3- Drop Hunter's Quarry on the monster in the CT
4- Now it correctly shows that the PC has the bonus effect against that monster only.

Am I doing anything wrong here?

Griogre
September 1st, 2010, 05:14
It sounds like you are doing it right. Are you sure it is not working? The extra d6 will not show up on the cursor when you drop the damage. You will need to look at the damage rolled and then actually done to the monster to see the extra damage. It should looks something like this in chat:

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/Extrad6damage.png

On the first line I dropped the effect on the character. I used cleave damage so there was no variable in damage applied except the extra d6. You can see the cleave does 5 points in the damage bubble. You can also see that the actual damage applied to the monster (Human Hunter) is *10* points so the d6 extra was 5 points.

The same is true for the other examples. The 1st Combat Superiority damage does 7 but 9 points of damage is applied (d6 was = 2), and the 2nd did 9 hp but 13 was applied.

Personally for things like sneak and quarry damage I think it is easier to use extra damage dice instead of an effect because: 1) the dice is shown and dragged; 2) the player doesn't have to remember to drop the effect on himself prior to doing damage.

Nilaihah
September 1st, 2010, 09:16
Yep, thinking on using just a plain damage bonus to avoid going through explaining all the players third party targeting - I do think this is something that will show again more sooner than later so I should still try to get the hang of how it works.

Definitely not working, however; I haven't even tried to do the roll for damage, I am just looking at the effects on the player. Like I mentioned, when the player does it by following the instructions outlined above, it is the monster who displays a bonus damage effect in the CT.

One thing that I did notice though is that when the PC targets itself from the PC client I, from the DM CT, cannot see that he is targeting himself. Were he targeting the monster instead, I'd see that he is targeting the monster and the token surrounded by a green color in the CT.

I am quite convinced this is it, but I am still unsure why it is not recognizing that it is targeting itself. The map does show the ring around his own token.

EDIT: Odd, just tested it here in a different machine and now I can see that the player is targeting itself and things work fine. I wonder if I disabled some option in my installation at home, or I ran into a small glitch that just needed me to reload the client, that makes it so the player cannot target itself?

The only option I saw was self-targeting and I definitely had that set to 'Alt' but I think that's something else altogether.

Griogre
September 1st, 2010, 17:46
Personally I would not use Self/One DMG:1d6. This feature is called third party *targeting*. However when I was testing it for you I used both Self/One DMG: 1d6 and Target/Once DMG: 1d6 since I wondered if the self might have been a problem and I found both ways worked.

The Alt key option just means the character can self target by pressing and holding down the Alt key, overriding all other targeting. It's mostly used for things like second wind, leaders curing themselves, and self buffs. You can't use it with 3rd party targeting.

Not having Mouse Drag rolling on or possibly Mouse: Double click action set to roll might affect 3rd party targeting.

Nilaihah
September 1st, 2010, 18:41
I found what the issue was, and now I feel really silly. The token I had on the board wasn't dragged out from the CT but from the player list or the sheet.

I removed that player token, dragged another one from the CT and ta-da!

You are right that it works on both Self/ or Target/ - just tested it as well. Thanks for the help!