PDA

View Full Version : Revised 4E Video Tutorials

Xorn
June 26th, 2010, 04:31
With the stability of 2.7.0 increasing, and so much changing since I created the first videos I made for Fantasy Grounds, I've started redoing the tutorials to get them up do date. As I'm developing them I'm going to keep the current renders available for review in this thread, for feedback, pointing out errors, or something I've missed.

The videos are hosted on Livestream for the moment (as it's very easy to make updates to them there) and once I'm finished I'll put out a WMV for downloading. Note: Firefox + AdBlock Plus stops the adds on Livestream completely. Also please be aware that when streaming live the audio can get a second or two out of sync with the video; the final versions will be rendered before uploading them, and not have this issue.

Player Quickstart (https://www.eugee.info/tutorials/pqx2b.wmv) (player tools)
Hosting Games (https://www.eugee.info/tutorials/hgx2b.wmv) (host tools)
Campaign Management (https://www.eugee.info/tutorials/cmx2a.wmv) (adventure preparation)
Example Encounter (https://www.eugee.info/tutorials/eex2b.wmv) (putting it all together)

These videos are all available for on-demand viewing on my FG2 Livestream channel (higher quality) as well:

Xorne's FG2 Livestream Channel (https://www.livestream.com/fgii)
Alternate Player (https://www.eugee.info/fgii) (Recommended; scales to browser window)

Xorn
June 26th, 2010, 04:31
Player Quickstart (ver pqx2b)
Livestream (https://livestre.am/dxEk) (video-on-demand link)
WMV (https://www.eugee.info/tutorials/pqx2b.wmv) (30.84 MB) final cut?

6/26/2010: Frozen video fixed, thanks ShadeRaven.
6/27/2010: Tutorial completely re-done, voice changed to non-helium.
6/28/2010: Livestream video fixed, WMV available now too.
6/28/2010: Tentative final cut uploaded as WMV, will put stream up tonight.

Xorn
June 26th, 2010, 04:32
Hosting Games (ver hgx2b)
Livestream (https://livestre.am/dIEe) (video-on-demand link)
WMV (https://www.eugee.info/tutorials/hgx2b.wmv) (32.48 MB)

6/29/2010: Tentative final cut uploaded (WMV), will get stream up in the morning.
6/30/2010: Livestream recording added; WMV being re-rendered--forgot the "welcome" clip!
6/30/2010: WMV fixed and uploaded.

Xorn
June 26th, 2010, 04:33
Campaign Management (ver cmx2a)
Livestream (https://livestre.am/exE1) (video-on-demand link)
WMV (https://www.eugee.info/tutorials/cmx2a.wmv) (20.5 MB)

7/5/2010: Revised stream uploaded, audio gets out of sync a bit, will fix it tomorrow.
7/6/2010: WMV uploaded for offline viewing.
7/6/2010: Stream fixed, tutorial is final?

Xorn
June 26th, 2010, 04:34
Example Encounter (ver eex2b)
Livestream (https://livestre.am/fOzb) (video-on-demand link)
WMV (https://www.eugee.info/tutorials/eex2b.wmv) (44.4 MB)

7/15/2010: I uploaded a quick preview (1st round only) because I'm having so much fun with this!
7/16/2010: The last tutorial is done, and I'm very pleased with it--after watching this I'm confident anyone will know exactly what FG2 is like! Trying to stream it up now.

ShadeRaven
June 26th, 2010, 05:27
Even after years of using FG2, I seem to always find something new or forgotten in your tutorials that make them well worth watching. Well done as always!

PS: I find the change in voice interesting. Any story behind that? And where's the trademark D&D Dungeon Master cartoon intro? :D

Xorn
June 26th, 2010, 05:40
The voice is simple--it makes the woman in my life laugh, so I stuck with it. I'll put together an intro and some transitions after I've gotten the meat of the videos done. I'm assembling them much differently than before; I can easily go back and change a part I don't like this time. First Livestream up, rather than render it I just streamed the preview playback directly to Livestream; the final video will be sharper.

ShadeRaven
June 26th, 2010, 14:29
Hehe. You know, I was going to write something more glib and humorous about the voice then thought, man, what if the guy had major throat surgery or cancer or a tracheotomy and I laughed at what was a serious condition. So I edited my original comments and approached it a little more sensitively. :p

Nice work though! Looking forward to the rest of them and the finished products.

adminwheel3
June 26th, 2010, 14:34
Thank you for the update Xorn.

Will there be the option for a non-helium version? I happen to find your normal speaking voice great for a tutorial. I'm not sure I'd be able to get my players to take your instructions seriously otherwise :)

Zeus
June 26th, 2010, 14:42
Nice video Xorn, I can see Livestream's Studio has been put to good use. What voice changing software are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

I actually considered doing a something similar when I was asked to create some tutorial videos for map making and few other bits and pieces.

To be honest, the reason I haven't released any videos with sound, is because I hate the sound of my own voice!!! Its sounds nasally and pinched, a bit like Ken Livingston's (those in the UK will know who I am talking about). :(

The thought of releasing videos with my dulcet tones sends a shiver down my spine just thinking about it ...

This is why all my current videos have no accompanying sound. And before you ask, trust me when I say, I am doing you all a favor :)

Xorn
June 26th, 2010, 15:20

Will there be the option for a non-helium version? I happen to find your normal speaking voice great for a tutorial. I'm not sure I'd be able to get my players to take your instructions seriously otherwise :)

That's a fair enough question; at the moment, the only way that is going to happen is if I run the existing audio through a filter to drop the pitch back down. I can assure you that it will not be my normal speaking voice though. Like DrZeuss, I can't stand the sound of my own voice, either.

I'm not above trying out dropping the pitch though, I'll look into it when the tutorials are done. "Running A Game" is 31 minutes long and is streaming up to Livestream as I type this. It's funny, I can stream it up to Livestream faster than I can render it. :)

As soon as that finishes I'm going to start on Campaign Management which I'm excited about--it's easier to do a "here's how I do it" video than a "here's every tool I've seen people ask questions about". Then I can do the example of play video, which should be fun (and a pretty good demo to show to friends, too!)

DrZeuss: My voice is filtered real-time with the Soundblaster WoW Headset. I got it for my birthday (from the love of my life) and she thinks the "gnome male" voice is hilarious. It's actually funny, when I use "human male" I sound like a radio announcer!

EDIT - Just noticed the audio gets out of sync on the Livestream; it won't be out of sync in the final renders.

Zeus
June 26th, 2010, 20:06
Cool. I have tried several apps like VoxChanger and VoiceOver but the results are mixed.

My ****ney accent just doesn't transpose that well at other octaves!!!

Its funny how we both don't like the sound of our own voices, however I will say I think your voice sounds absolutely fine on the original videos. Being a Brit, I quite enjoy the American accent.

Xorn
June 26th, 2010, 20:39
Alright, the video froze in the first video for a bit (I think it was the screensaver) and the campaign tutorial flat out didn't record. GRRR. Restreaming them.

Xorn
June 26th, 2010, 22:43
First three videos are all up and on demand now. I'll finish Putting It All Together tonight or in the morning. Then I'll primarily be applying small tweaks and corrections as issues/inaccuracies are found.

Talen
June 27th, 2010, 17:27
Videos look great as always Xorn! I always make them required viewing for my new players and it makes their transition into the group seemless. thanks.

As an aside - how do you like the wow headset? I've been tempted to get it, but hesitant to mail order sight unseen. Did you go with the wireless? If so - any issues?

Jonny Tenebrous
June 27th, 2010, 19:22
Thanks a million for these vids, Xorn. They make getting up to speed (or refreshing) in Fantasy Grounds a simple pleasure.

Xorn
June 27th, 2010, 20:22
@Talen
I'm loving it. The sound quality is great (I've never had a nice headset before though, so I can't compare), and they are extremely comfortable. Only downside is that I can't hear my fiance ten feet away from me. (Insert upside ironic comment.) I got the wireless, although that's just because she got me the wireless one. In retrospect, the wireless rocks, I frequently watch movies early in the morning (when she's sleeping in) across the room on the couch, with the sound blasting.

So I finished the example of play recording and started assembling the video, but as I review these I'm really feeling like they are too long. I need to be able to cut them down to 30 minutes, tops. I'm probably going to go through and start redoing some of the scenes to see if I can pick the speed up and spend less time rambling. There's a pause button for a reason.

That said, while I refuse to record these with my regular voice still (I hate my voice on the old videos), I'm going to put out a couple options for which voice everyone prefers.

Xorn
June 27th, 2010, 22:00
https://livestre.am/dlTF

I've got a voice sample there reading a few paragraphs. I'm curious to hear what people like on the voices. My top five(alphabetical only):

Blood Elf Male
Dwarf Male
Gnome Male
Human Male <-- Winner
XT-002 Deconstructor (Just kidding..)

Wargamer777
June 27th, 2010, 23:12

Here, here.... Keep your original voice Xorn... It worked great and sounded very professional to me.

Xorn
June 28th, 2010, 01:22
Heh, actually listen to that clip I posted and listen to Human Male. Looks like I'm going to use that one instead. I'm re-recording the first tutorial now, as I wanted to shave time down, anyway. I actually created the first tutorials three times before I settled on just tweaking them. I recorded some of the takes like 20 times to shave it down on time. I think the first one was 39 minutes and I got it down to 31 now, and I covered more stuff--I just had to keep stopping myself from rambling.

Anyway, Human Male. It sounds a lot like my normal voice, only a little deeper and fuller. The love of my life says it sounds sexy, so there wasn't much thought in it after that. :P

ShadeRaven
June 28th, 2010, 03:39
Anyway, Human Male. It sounds a lot like my normal voice, only a little deeper and fuller. The love of my life says it sounds sexy, so there wasn't much thought in it after that. :P
So, does she get that look in the eye and give you that signal... "Go fetch the headset, hon...." :D

PS: Awesome work, incidentally...

Xorn
June 28th, 2010, 03:52
Completely redid the Player Quickstart (new voice, also). Please review and comment if you get the chance!

P.S. No comment, Shade. :P

Xorn
June 29th, 2010, 01:57
Well I'm definitely not going to do a YouTube set for these; with the maximum of 10 minutes per clip I'd have to split these up like crazy, while I can just put the whole video up on Livestream (and add links to download a WMV).

On another note, I've started fiddling with the WMV format I'll save them with, and it's 1024x576, and even with only 141 Kbps the text is still legible! (This translates to ~1MB per minute, which is tiny considering the quality!) I've put up a WMV link for the first tutorial but none of these are final yet. The other three will be like the Player Quickstart in the next day or two.

I'm interested if others think the WMV is good enough quality (I'm excited to keep the file size small) and then I'll keep the high quality upload on Livestream.

(Oh, and I finished the cartoon dungeon master intro for giggles.)

Zeus
June 29th, 2010, 20:48
Videos are looking sweet Xorn! Great work.

Maybe Smiteworks could consider hosting a channel at Livestream? A Livestream channel dedicated to FGII could be a great medium for advertising/showcasing products, running tutorials and how to guides, hell you could even use it host a mini VTT con just for FGII users. :)

From what limited exposure I have had using Livestream, its all doable from within the Studio, just cue up all your videos click stream and your off. 24x7 Fantasy Grounds II web TV!

Xorn
June 29th, 2010, 21:12
You're right about that. Livestream Studio is what makes it so awesome. I have found though, the uploading videos really doesn't turn out that well--it re-renders them on their server and always bumps them up to 24 FPS (cutting the quality in half) and usually resizes the video, too. That's why the Player Quickstart looked so fuzzy and blurry when I rendered it then uploaded.

So I have the offline WMVs (~1MB/min) now, and I'll also record a 1024x576 12 FPS 500 kbps feed (~3.8MB/min) on Livestream.

Even right now, on my FG2 channel, I have three of the tutorials playing on a continuous loop, plus all of them are available for on demand viewing. My biggest issue with LiveStream is the ads (although Firefox + Adblock Plus solves that).

I'm re-recording Hosting Games tonight (new title) with the same format as the new PQ, including the zoom-n-pan settings. I'll plan to remake the Campaign Management on Thursday, and a final cut of the example of play on Friday. (I can put up the example of play now if folks want to see it, but it's in the gnome voice and I don't have the clips trimmed and marked up yet, just a raw collage.)

Feedback so far (other than the voice) has basically been "great work!" both here and on PMs so I'm hoping these are ready for finalization by this weekend.

Xorn
June 30th, 2010, 06:26
Alright, I finished the possibly final cut of Hosting Games, and posted the WMV offline video already. The live stream recording got interrupted this evening (internet dropped a sec) and I don't feel like staying up an extra 30 minutes to re-stream it. I'll get the Livestream clip up in the morning.

Tomorrow is D&D night so it will likely be Thursday before Campaign Building is redone. Since I don't expect it to take that long (I moved a lot of what was in that to Hosting Games), I'll probably do the sample encounter video on Thursday as well, and be done!

Xorn
June 30th, 2010, 13:16
"Hosting Games" is finished and the stream has been recorded and placed in video-on-demand. I left out the "Welcome to the FG2 Hosting Games..." clip at the beginning when I rendered the WMV so I'm re-rendering now and I'll get that uploaded while I'm at work today. Thursday I'll finish the revised Campaign Management & Example of Play tutorials finished.

Any recommendations for the title of the Example of Play? I just don't care for that one and a little OCD birdie told me it should be two words and "feel" like the previous three titles. Maybe a take on the "D&D Encounters" theme, like... "FG2 Encounters!" Woot, I just named it!

Anxious for comments on the second clip, I moved a lot of stuff from the Campaign Management tutorial into Hosting Games, and really tried to boil it down to straight "here are your tools and how to use them" format.

Xorn
June 30th, 2010, 14:37
Fixed and re-uploaded the WMV clip for Hosting Games. Added a news ticker to the bottom of the autoplay feed (it doesn't show in VOD viewing), plus added some links to the channel page.

Talen
June 30th, 2010, 22:05
I just watched both of the redone videos - I always pick up something new, but geez, you've made me want to run the 2.7 beta update - I love the new functionality (the chat window effects especially).

Thanin
July 1st, 2010, 12:33
Great videos but man, theres no reason to hate your voice! Your normal voice is great for tutorials, much better than the pitch altered. :(

Jonny Tenebrous
July 1st, 2010, 13:36
These are brilliant... can't wait for the "example of play" video. BTW, my vote is for your original voice. If you're set on using an altered one, the announcer voice was quite listenable. The gnome voice is entertaining... but I admit to turning off my speakers and switching to headphones while listening, lol. My peeps already think I'm a big enough geek sitting at the PC typing away on "D&D 4.0 Campaign Files" for hours each night, without the sounds of gnome narration as a backdrop. Seriously, though... thank you very much for this effort. They've helped a *lot*.

Xorn
July 1st, 2010, 13:49
Glad to hear it. I figured tonight I would simply finish off the last two tutorials (since both are just remakes of the footage I already have) and then WoW Cataclysm decided to go into beta and lift the NDA! I've been waiting for the NDA to lift so I can do a stream from the Cata servers (that I've been on since they started), which is how I discovered Livestream.

Anyway, I'm going to pry myself away from my Lorkeon TV channel for just a little longer to finish the tutorials. Then it's time to get 1500+ viewers on my Cataclysm channel!

Xorn
July 2nd, 2010, 16:19
I was bad last night, I ended up live-streaming Cataclysm all night and this morning. I can probably get the last two tutorials up this weekend, but I've got no illusions I'll be doing anything but playing Cataclysm tonight. :P

Xorn
July 6th, 2010, 13:13
Updated the Campaign Management tutorial, and recorded the Example Encounter, but it didn't turn out like I wanted; I'm going to reshoot it tonight, with a slightly different style (toggling between the DM/Player view more).

csander9
July 8th, 2010, 01:22
As a DM who is new to Fantasy Grounds, I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for these. They are incredibly helpful and your work is greatly appreciated.

ddavison
July 11th, 2010, 00:02
Thanks for your contribution Xorn. I stickied the thread.

Xorn
July 12th, 2010, 18:23
Thanks ddavidson.

I still need to re-record the example of play--I've been having so much fun streaming Cataclysm, that any time I have left has been spent converting a 3.5 adventure path to 4E. I'll get the example of play done sometime this week, maybe tomorrow when the servers are down for WoW!

I'm glad these are proving useful to folks, that's the entire reason I make them--plus I seem to like being watched based on my recent facination with streaming. :)

Xorn
July 14th, 2010, 21:28
Hmmm. I've started seeing that "Could not complete file transfer of file campaign" error again. Until I figure out the cause of that the example of play remake is still on hold. If I don't get it fixed tonight I'll at least put up the one I'm not happy with.

Xorn
July 16th, 2010, 02:17
Okay JPG rocked out and fixed the transfer error already. I started re-recording this morning and I'm loving it so much I uploaded a preview of the first round. I don't have time to finish tonight, and this is just a raw playing, no callout text or pan-n-scans. Still, I'm excited to see how it turns out now!

sinprime
July 16th, 2010, 05:01
I checked out the Preview Encounter tutorial last night and it looks very good so far. The voice overs come across very clear as well. So no worries there, I don't think anyway. Keep up the good work Xorn and thanks again for the contributions!

Xorn
July 18th, 2010, 03:25
Okay everyone, I daresay the videos are finally all finished! Hopefully everyone gets as much from watching these (especially the last video) as I got from making them! The WMV file for Example Encounter is uploading now--should be ready an hour from this posting. The Livestream is recording as I type this. :P

Zeus
July 18th, 2010, 11:33
Great videos Xorn, thanks for making them. I particularly like the example gameplay video complete with multiple character voices, very neat.

Jharii
July 18th, 2010, 13:03
I do not see the Alternate Fullscreen video available in the On Demand listing.

Clips available:
Player Quickstart
Hosting Games
Campaign Management
Example Encounter
Voice Samples

Xorn
July 18th, 2010, 17:02
The second link (eugee.info/fgii) is a custom player that fills your browser window, instead of the Livestream page. Most people prefer watching streams on the custom players (I know I do) so I provided both links. You can click Full Screen to expand the video, regardless of which player you use.

I've renamed the link for clarity.

Malcor
July 19th, 2010, 11:37
I would just like to post a "THANK YOU" note.

As a new GM to Fantasy Grounds I must say these videos provide more explanation then all other sources combined. Thank you for your time and effort!

Mortani
July 19th, 2010, 13:29
Thank you Xorn!

DMJBone
August 29th, 2010, 22:42
Thanks Xorn for continuing to update these videos; it's really appreciated.

Xorn
September 1st, 2010, 13:29
Everyone is quite welcome, I appreciate all the hard work from the devs to make FG2 great, and all the help from the community to help increase it's popularity. I figured I've always been a bit of a ham and I'm just dangerous enough with video compilation to get myself in trouble--and so my contribution to FG2 was born. :)

Happy gaming, folks!

Ham08
November 4th, 2010, 20:20
Hi Xorn! I would like to thank you for all your hard work on these tutorials. They are a great help, indeed. Not only that, but they are the only tutorial videos available anywhere on the net. They are so very important to so many people. Thank you, again!

If you are interested in some constructive criticism, I would offer only that the computer generated voices you used were pretty awful(in the 4E example play against the young white dragon), with the exception of a few even though they do not compare to your real voice, and some were impossible to discern exactly what was said. I feel bad saying this because I can only imagine how much time and effort you put into creating all of those voices to use in the tutorial, I just feel that the effort subtracted from what could have been. I rather enjoyed your real voice from the earlier tutorial videos you did and just think that your shyness is unnecessary. Your real voice is pleasant to listen to, quite clear, and easily understood, so please, use your own voice next time. :)

Also, the video quality was quite poor. Even on the live stream link that you posted. I know it takes a lot longer to render and to upload, but these tutorials are eternal. For prosperity's sake, I hope you or someone with a higher resolution version of your tutorials can provide them to the community.

Cheers and happy gaming!

P.S. I would love to see a recording of a live game, if anyone has one going right now.

Moon Wizard
November 5th, 2010, 20:48
Yes, I can't express how useful and interesting these are for all of us.

A few weeks ago, I dropped in one of Xorn's live sessions just to get an idea of how his games run, and I got treated to a movie as well. ;)

Cheers,
JPG

Olat
January 25th, 2011, 01:08
Xorn, Loved your original videos when I bought FG2 a while back. This voice change actually gets under my skin and is irritating to listen to. Is there a way you can put up a copy of your normal voice?

Id love to watch and learn about the new Features with the 4E rule set but I seriously cant bring my self to listen to them.

mattcolville
January 31st, 2011, 02:36
Xorn, Loved your original videos when I bought FG2 a while back. This voice change actually gets under my skin and is irritating to listen to. Is there a way you can put up a copy of your normal voice?

Id love to watch and learn about the new Features with the 4E rule set but I seriously cant bring my self to listen to them.

They're so awful. So gratingly awful. I can't listen to them for long.

I mean, the dude knows his stuff, I have no idea what purpose the voice mask serves, but holy crap it make learning the game extremely painful for me.

Great videos, everything is awesome, except that voice mask. I really hope that's not Xorn's real voice!

Griogre
January 31st, 2011, 19:29
Xorn said the voice made his woman laugh, plus he doesn't really like the sound of his own voice, so that's why he did the "Dungeon Master" voice from the D&D cartoon.

mattcolville
January 31st, 2011, 19:36
Xorn said the voice made his woman laugh, plus he doesn't really like the sound of his own voice, so that's why he did the "Dungeon Master" voice from the D&D cartoon.
Well, someone needs to make a tutorial video for an audience other than Xorn's wife. :D

Bidmaron
January 31st, 2011, 22:46
Xorn put a lot of time and effort into these tutorials, not to mention the several generations before them. Can't we just give him a break? Olat and Mattcolville, you guys can make your own if you'd like. Xorn doesn't get anything from SW for his hard work other than the 'sage' title, and as someone who's tried to make a tutorial himself, I think it's pretty hard work.

BishopOmega
February 7th, 2011, 21:02
Thanks Xorn, these helped alot!

Xorn
February 9th, 2011, 12:22
LOL

I know the Example Encounter tutorial voices are terrible. Maybe I'll add subtitles some day. :P The video quality is clear enough to make out what I'm doing in my opinion which was the minimum goal I had. If I remade them now I could use an H.264 codec that would be crystal clear at 720p, but my video streaming resources have changed drastically since I made those videos. :)

If I redid the Example Encounter tutorial, I wouldn't use all the voices again, if that's any consolation. :P

My current game I'm running is actually all face-to-face, so I don't have any live sessions to stream at the moment. Whenever my next FG2 game starts though, I plan to stream/record our sessions again, at least a couple of them.

Harlekin
March 12th, 2011, 22:22
Thanks for your hard work putting together these tutorials. They made me much more interested in this program. I hope you get at least a little kickback for putting this much work into introducing new players to this program.

A small nitpick for the last tutorial: You have the adventurers ignore the effect of the ice almost throughout the entire fight. there are plenty of moves that would be impossible if the ice was actually difficult terrain. If you have time, you may want to put in one of the nice pop-up balloons into the vid.

ksm
June 10th, 2011, 11:44
Hey Xorn, many thanks for these videos.

They were instrumental in my decision to purchase FG2, and without them I would still be floundering with this product.

khersheyjr
July 2nd, 2011, 23:41
Thanks Xorn, I have watched the tutorials several times and they have helped a ton in learning how to use the program.

Xorn
July 7th, 2011, 14:37
@Harlekin
Really? I was pretty sure the dwarf jumped across the ice. It's quite possible I played something wrong there, but that shouldn't have any real impact on showing how to use the VTT. :P

Lately I'm playing Descent with some buddies because there is no setup time.

zackspacks
August 6th, 2011, 10:25
Hi Xorn
Even though I don't play AD&D ( although one of our players is going to run it for us in a few months ) - I do use the AD&D ruleset for playing other lighter systems e.g. Don't Rest Your Head, Dead of Night, and in the near future - Hollowpoint. All four videos are educational in themselves, and have helped me come up with suggestions for the Savage Worlds combat tracker on that part of the forum. So, fantastic work mate, much appreciated, as without these, and Doswelks Savage Worlds videos, being a new player, with a new group, we would have been struggling for months, without these superlative videos.

Only downside is...well you've probably guessed it - the voice changes. Personally I find your natural voice in the original videos to be absolutely spot on, and clear to understand. The distortion of some of the characters, particularly the dragon, and the woman that sounds like Minnie Mouse is a struggle to discern some of the words. It is probably because I am from England, and just that extra little tweak on your natural accent leaves me having to guess some of the words.

I think almost everyone hates the sound of their own voice, so don't sweat it mate. As has been suggested before, I would also like to see the natural soundtrack available as well. ( Although you are probably cringing at the thought of this :P )

Anyway, the voice problem pales into insignificance when compared to the sterling work you have done for the community with these videos. Thank you very much mate

Cheers
Paul

Raskyn
August 8th, 2011, 02:20
I'm new to FG, and just wanted to let you know how helpful your video's were. I've watched them a bunch of times to try and pick up all the little hints you show.

Thanks for taking the time to make these. They made learning FG much easier!

PS: I don't mind the different voices.

Jadestar
October 6th, 2011, 17:59
Just wondering if you have done, or know where to find video tuts on mapping. I found some on making maps in photoshop but what I am interested in is the mapping side of FG2. How to import maps, how to modify them within FG and any other map options in FG2 such as lighting, line of sight, levels etc...if any of that is available. Thanks.

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2011, 20:20
Jadestar,

Once a campaign is created, you can add maps to any campaign by placing them in the Start Menu -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application Data Folder -> campaigns -> [Campaign name] -> images folder. They can be added during play.

To access map functionality, you can right click and explore the various options for drawing, masking, grids, pointers, and more. You can also get more information from the online manual.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/gm_images.xcp

Line of sight and lighting is not explicitly supported. There is a mask layer which the GM can use to reveal the map as the players explore, just like in a tabletop game. Those features are on our wish list for future consideration.

Regards,
JPG

Jadestar
October 6th, 2011, 21:30
Ok thanks for that. I was just not sure about the whole mapping thing since there is vid tuts for just about everything but that.

Thanks again.

khersheyjr
May 6th, 2012, 22:30
I have a huge influx of new FG2 players getting ready to start using the program in the coming week. 12+ people, possibly more. With all of these new people I decided to make some tutorials to help them along with using the program. Xorn has done an excellant job in his tutorials but there are some areas in which I will go that may of been missed. I am also keeping them all in very small sizes so there will be many. I am starting with just the player side for now and will work on DMs topics later down the road. You can vist my channel at youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/khersheyjr?feature=guide
I appreciate any constructive feedback or suggestions. If you have a request for a tutorial please note in this thread and I will do my best to get one made :).

Happy Gaming!

ddavison
May 8th, 2012, 04:34
Hey Khersheyjr, these are great. Would you mind if we promoted these by linking to them directly on the site?

khersheyjr
May 8th, 2012, 04:55
sure. I don't mind :) I am working on a list of short GM side tutorials as well.

spoofer
May 9th, 2012, 02:58
Keith,

Thank you for the amazing videos. I just learned lots of new things about id management.

In the items video, please add some comments about local versus server version of a character and items management (i.e., if I gave you an item last session, and then next session you load up your local character, that item is gone).

khersheyjr
May 9th, 2012, 03:05
ah ok. Will do :) thanks for the suggestion Spoofer. Looks like I will be redoing the item tutorial as I see issues.

AndyT
May 10th, 2012, 03:33
You can vist my channel at youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/khersheyjr?feature=guide
I appreciate any constructive feedback or suggestions. If you have a request for a tutorial please note in this thread and I will do my best to get one made :).

khersheyjr,

I'm not done reading this thread yet, but I really wanted to thank you for the videos you've posted thus far (I left a comment on one earlier this evening over on YouTube-Ville, but wanted to thank you here as well).

I appreciate your efforts, they've already helped me understand some of the issues I've been having wrapping my brain around Fantasy Grounds. Thanks! :)

-- Andy

khersheyjr
June 26th, 2012, 00:22
Once I see that the bugs and issues with the newest release of 2.9 have leveled out I will proceed with revising the tutorials as well as a few more videos detailing the many wonderful extensions out there for users. Any recommendations of areas that I may need to cover?

khersheyjr
July 13th, 2012, 23:12
I have added more videos on my YouTube channel. I have begun adding videos showing off some of the community's extensions as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/khersheyjr?feature=guide

Zeus
July 14th, 2012, 11:32
I have added more videos on my YouTube channel. I have begun adding videos showing off some of the community's extensions as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/khersheyjr?feature=guide

Nice, thanks for the ToL extension video. You can also convert NPC to PC using the ToL.

khersheyjr
July 14th, 2012, 19:42
Ah ok. I added that into the comments on the video. I may go back and redo the video in the future to include that.

deathwish47
March 17th, 2014, 16:57
none of these links work..

Trenloe
March 17th, 2014, 17:29
none of these links work..
Try the new wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php?title=Videos