PDA

View Full Version : Targeting

Saravyn
June 24th, 2010, 04:07
The 4E Guide shows that players can target NPC tokens on the map. Is there an option that has to be enabled to allow this?

My players are unable to select a target via this method. Instead, they have to use the combat tracker and drag/drop dice onto it.

Thanks in advance!

Moon Wizard
June 24th, 2010, 07:53
They should just be able to click on the tokens, and the token should outline with a ring of the same color as their chosen identity color.

Have you tried testing on your local machine to see what the players are seeing? Just start up a second instance of FG, and connect Join Game at "127.0.0.1"

Regards,
JPG

someoneinatree
June 24th, 2010, 08:00
The 4E Guide shows that players can target NPC tokens on the map. Is there an option that has to be enabled to allow this?

My players are unable to select a target via this method. Instead, they have to use the combat tracker and drag/drop dice onto it.

Thanks in advance!

One thing you might want to check is whether you've put a grid layer down on the map, and also double check that you are dragging tokens from the combat tracker onto the map to ensure they are linked.

Saravyn
June 24th, 2010, 21:13
Yeah, I tried testing it by connecting to myself. That was how I found out players can't target tokens.

I think I may have been dragging the tokens from the personalities menu onto the map and the tracker. This is most likely my problem. I will test it out when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the information.

Saravyn
June 25th, 2010, 20:13
Alright, I put the enemy into the combat tracker first, and then dragged them to the map. The players are now able to target them by clicking on them.

However, when a player double clicks for an attack or damage roll (I didn't test effect placement, but I should have :-/ ), it doesn't do any of the calculations it did before. It shows the roll value and the target, but it won't show if the roll was a hit against enemy defenses. Damage is not automatically applied in the wounds section of the tracker either.

I did roll init for the test monster/player and go through a few turns as well, to see if combat had to be initiated. There was no change when I did this.

It was calculating this and showing the information when a player would drag the die over the enemy in the tracker.

It isn't a big deal, as we can still play, I'm just curious as to why this is acting this way.

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2010, 21:13
They call the same functions, so not sure why you're not having the targeting check defense. I do this all the time for my campaigns, and when I am testing.

You might try double-checking the options panel to make sure that the player drop options are all set to "on".

Cheers,
JPG

ShadeRaven
June 25th, 2010, 22:22
Ironically, I have had this happen for just one specific player (the hit/miss reporting) in any of my on-going campaigns. I can see on the combat tracker that they have the mob selected, all the settings are correct (no other player is having any issues), but they aren't getting the feedback others are getting.

I haven't had a chance to debug this particular player's setup to see what might be causing the issues, but when he plays next (tomorrow night), I'll see if I can spend a little extra time seeing what he might be doing differently or what settings/system he might have that could make a difference.

Xorn
June 26th, 2010, 05:08
Just to be sure, remove everything from the CT and re-add them. I was gritting my teeth trying to figure out why the cleric in my mock-playthrough couldn't token drop correctly (or use 3rd party targetting) and it ended up being because I had "rebuilt" the cleric in an earlier tutorial, and not realized it was no longer linked in the combat tracker!