PDA

View Full Version : Deva Racial

Function
June 21st, 2010, 01:58
Anyone know the right way to do this? Devas have +1 to all defenses vs bloodied opponents. I think I have to make an "ATK: -1" effect and drop it on myself with them targeted while holding down shift but it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,

/function

someoneinatree
June 21st, 2010, 03:00
I have a deva invoker that I've set up with the effect text as

"TRGT; DEF: 1"

I then target myself with primary targeting, and then shift-drag the effect onto the bloodied creature either on the map or on the tracker.

The reverse should also work. "TRGT; ATK: -1". Target the bloodied opponent with primary targeting, then shift-drag the effect onto yourself either on the map or the tracker.

I have a tendency to always build powers how they are written even though the effect is identical. So because the racial trait says I gain +1 defenses, that's the way I built it.

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2010, 07:35
You could also set up an effect with the label "DEF: 1", and the effect options set to SELF-targeted and ONCE-apply. Then, just double-click the effect before a bloodied creature attacks.

I want to add conditional effects in the next big 4E update, but that may take some time with all the other projects ongoing.

Cheers,
JPG

Function
June 21st, 2010, 21:31
My DM is great about keeping things moving but that means it is hard to sneak in a "use once" buff before he attacks.

I tried the TGRT; DEF: 1 version but I ran into a problem when more than one mob was getting bloodied and I got an effect already exists error.

What I settled on was this:

TRGT*Deva1,Deva2,Deva3*; ATK: -1

I then dropped that effect on any mob that became bloodied.

/function

someoneinatree
June 22nd, 2010, 01:25
I tried the TGRT; DEF: 1 version but I ran into a problem when more than one mob was getting bloodied and I got an effect already exists error.
/function

Ah you are correct. Even with different targets set, FG believes it is the same effect and doesn't reapply it. Thanks for pointing it out... I'll have to go adjust my own deva now!

adminwheel3
June 26th, 2010, 22:02
My DM is great about keeping things moving but that means it is hard to sneak in a "use once" buff before he attacks.

What I settled on was this:

TRGT*Deva1,Deva2,Deva3*; ATK: -1

I then dropped that effect on any mob that became bloodied.

Can you explain why you have Deva1,Deva2,Deva3 ?

Is that where you put the character name?

I've tried this myself using TRGT*Liadan*; ATK: -1

However the attack penalty is applying universally and there is no Targets: Liadan entry on the GMs combat tracker under Effects.

Xorn
June 28th, 2010, 17:49
I'm wagering there are 3 devas in the group? He's covering the effect for all of them?

Function
June 28th, 2010, 21:54
Yep Xorn is correct. One person has to build and drop the effect for everyone because you cannot drop three copies with separate targets. If you try you will get the same issue as dropping the effect on yourself with the mob targeted.

/function

Xorn
June 29th, 2010, 02:41
I think the effect you really need to figure out is one to get your deva count down to one or less! :D

ShadeRaven
June 29th, 2010, 05:08
I think the effect you really need to figure out is one to get your deva count down to one or less! :D
Imagine the drama that must be going on in that party!

Real Devas of the Forgotten Realms!
In this weeks episode, Deva1 learns that Deva2 has been secretly healing her husband behind her back. Meanwhile, Deva3 has discovered that her favorite weapon makes her look fat when she wields it. Aghast, she seeks to have the enchantment of her blade transferred to a more slimming rapier - which are the in style item of Waterdeep this year - but is she going to find one in time for the next adventure or will she have to live with the snickers she's sure to hear as she charges forth to mark the opponents?!?

Function
August 2nd, 2010, 03:10
So this effect isn't working correctly. Apparently you cannot type the TRGT part in yourself the game has to do it by using targeting.

So can someone explain for me how to make a single mob get -1 to hit three characters without applying any effects to the characters?

/function

Function
August 18th, 2010, 21:21
Sorry for bumping. Based on what you said about the ranger/beast effect;
So for the Deva racial assuming multiple Deva(s) in the party I could drop the following?

Deva1; ATK: -1

and a second effect that says

Deva2; ATK: -1

And they will both work? Or is there a way to drop it as a multiple target effect? Ideally this would be droppable straight from the sheet and not require any targeting physically.

Thanks,
/function

Moon Wizard
August 19th, 2010, 06:28
Yes, you could use the same strategy.

* Create an effect labeled "Deva X; ATK: -1" with expiration of Enc
* Make sure the creature is targeted
* Hold SHIFT key
* Drag the effect onto yourself

OR

* Create an effect labeled "Deva X; DEF: 1" with expiration of Enc
* Make sure you are targeted (or hold ALT key for self-targeting override)
* Hold SHIFT key
* Drag effect onto the enemy

Sorry I didn't think of that earlier.

Cheers,
JPG

Function
August 19th, 2010, 07:07
Could I:

* Create an effect labeled "Deva X,Deva Y,Deva Z; ATK: -1" with expiration of Enc
* Make sure the creature is targeted
* Hold SHIFT key
* Drag the effect onto yourself

Also, does this put an effect on the monster or the player? I want to make sure that I do not get the effect already exists issue.

/function

Moon Wizard
August 19th, 2010, 08:09
When using the SHIFT third party targeting option, the effect always goes on the creatures targeted by the originator, and the effect "target" is the creature that you drop it on.

Currently, there is no way to multi-target the effect targets. In fact, I'm not even sure how that interface would look or work at this point. I have some ideas, but they will take a lot of work.

For now, I would put the burden back on your devas to apply the effect individually themselves to bloodied targets.

Cheers,
JPG

primarch
August 24th, 2010, 23:12
Hi!

As a spin off from the original question, is there any way to effectively represent the Devas "memory of a thousand lifetimes" encounter power?

This adds a d6 to an already rolled to hit value. Is this possible to do?

Any work around?

Peter

someoneinatree
August 25th, 2010, 04:31
Hi!

As a spin off from the original question, is there any way to effectively represent the Devas "memory of a thousand lifetimes" encounter power?

This adds a d6 to an already rolled to hit value. Is this possible to do?

Any work around?

Peter

Well, because you usually don't know if you're going to use the power until after the roll; this is almost always a manual addition.

I set it up as a 1d6 on my hotkey bar, and edit the label to "Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes" so it comes up in the chatbox with both. Then I just ask the DM if the result of my previous roll is different with the additional 1d6 bonus.