PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Saga?

m_rebstock
June 19th, 2010, 19:45
Very new and looking for a star wars group to join can work around times if there are still people playing plzlet me know

dm-crazy
June 19th, 2010, 21:00
Well im a Galaxy Master,but theonlyproblem is: we play in portuguese... :( Try to be a GM...

dm-crazy
June 19th, 2010, 21:01
some screenshots (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11995) and look around the forum to search my Saga ruleset! :)

m_rebstock
June 19th, 2010, 21:09
Thanks, at least i know people play. I am in the states only problem is the language barrier with your group. hope someone else comes along so i can get into this

Artaron
June 19th, 2010, 21:48
I'd be interested in a game, and maybe one or two other forumers I've come a across will manifest themselves. Thing is I'm in Europe so we'd need a convenient time+I can't DM, so someone would need to volunteer for that as well. But let's wait and see how this topic goes.

m_rebstock
June 19th, 2010, 21:55
I have not played starwars or DND in an incredibly long time, so me DMing could happen but would be painfull. I don't mind making time for people in diff time zones that is not a problem. other thing is i don't have the gameset so i will have to take time tomorrow to hunt one down. I am sure DM crazy would help us along our way :D

ProfMarks
June 20th, 2010, 00:24
I typically play Savage Worlds games, but have participated and enjoyed the few short lived Saga groups that have started here from time to time. I know you are looking for a GM, and I would also be ill suited to run Saga due to commitments and relative inexperience. However, if a game does start up, and the timing works out, I'd love to be involved.

m_rebstock
June 20th, 2010, 06:39
If we can get two more people I am willing to try and get everything together. I think weekends would be best. sat. night or sometime sunday. I have to wait about 10 more days to get on my home computer to get everything working properly, this laptop will not work one bit.

ProfMarks
June 20th, 2010, 13:24
m_rebstock,

Sounds like a plan, and I hope a couple more folks do show. We can all learn or get experience with the system together.

m_rebstock
June 20th, 2010, 17:21
my only prob right now is I don't have the ruleset. seems they are all deleted off of the websites i have gone to. I am gonna start adding people as buddies who want to play.

Himo
June 20th, 2010, 17:29
I would be interested in this as well. I'm UK but if we played on Sunday I could play any time to suit other time zones. I've never DM'd before so would rather be a player

m_rebstock
June 20th, 2010, 18:07
ok I am learning right now with the video tutorials on how to do all this. i do not mind doing dm but i have not done it in a longgg time

dm-crazy
June 20th, 2010, 19:42
take a look in my ruleset: here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=90525#post90525)

ProfMarks
June 20th, 2010, 20:27
m_rebstock,

At least from my perspective, please don't hesitate about the GM'n. Frankly, I wouldn't mind learning from a GM new to the system figuring it all out; might up my confidence to try a saga game in the future (though to be frank, I'd probably savage it since that's the system I know best).

In any case, I try to be well versed in the system as a player so you aren't alone. Any idea which rulebooks you plan on included / excluding?

Mask_of_winter
June 20th, 2010, 20:47
Star Wars has been savaged by the community already ProfMarks. But it is not as Fast, Furious and Fun as the Daring Tales of the Space Lanes which is a Star Wars rip off without the references from the movies, comic books and novels.

KainVorador
June 20th, 2010, 22:15
I'd love to play in a SW game. Just let me know if this gets off the ground.

ProfMarks
June 20th, 2010, 22:20
Very true Mask, and I've looked at many of the conversions as well.

DTotSL is a really great starting point for Star Wars like you've pointed out. Especially if you aren't involving force users. When I say that for me to GM a Star Wars game, I'd savage it, that certainly that means pulling a lot from the Daring Tales as well as the aspects of the conversions that I think play FFF and ignoring those that don't.

I recently acquired The Star Wars D6 second edition and some supporting materials actually. Seeing how close that is to the Savage Worlds System, it's very helpful as a resource. With all this fine foundational material (and in that I'm also including the 10 or so Saga Edition books I have) the only thing baring me from running a Savaged Star Wars adventure is time and experience.

Sorry to hijack your thread m_rebstock but all good discussion I think.

Mask_of_winter
June 22nd, 2010, 01:53
btw, quick question... hmmm what happend to SW:SE? No longer supported by WOTC? What happend to the franchise?

dm-crazy
June 22nd, 2010, 04:32
Well Wotc do not renew the conctract bcuz the NAME Star Wars is not much CHEAP... :( But we have a lot of GOOD books to use! :)

m_rebstock
June 22nd, 2010, 18:13
I am not sure on the copy right laws for star wars. Correct me if i am wrong but i thought that had to do with mass distribution and the selling of the product. If you used it for personal use like we will be it should be fine. correct?

I have GMed DnD 2e and really never got into 4e, i have also played and GMed star wars but it was the D6 version.

Do we all have to have the same ruleset?

I have other questions but i will sift through the forums a bit more. just so everyone knows I am getting back from iraq so it will be about a week or so before i can really get into it.

I can either do a hack and blast session. (which i suggest for us on the first time or second) I can also do a full campaigne, which i will need to know what era and what side yall wanna be on. Once i get going i am pretty loyal to times and i usally do not flake

m_rebstock
June 22nd, 2010, 19:03
next question is what do i do with the ruleset once i have downloaded it?

ProfMarks
June 22nd, 2010, 20:32
Unzip the ruleset and put it in your ruleset folder in the FGII directory. You should see a folder titled 'Application Data Folder' in your start menu under FGII. Only the host needs to have the ruleset to run the game, though I have just about every iteration of the SW rulesets (as they've been developed over time) on my computer, so I can help you through it if you have troubles.

As far as time period, I'd say go with what you find the most interesting since you are putting up the bulk of the effort. If you aren't excited about it, it's going to be hard to stay motivated to GM.

The one thing that's great, and is also a draw back with SW:SE, is the number of different sourcebooks and additions to mechanics as they build up. As this is the first game you are running, I'd suggest keeping it simple and using the core book(s) and perhaps the setting book you choose. As much as I love some of the class books, rule creep get's pretty crazy if you open the door wide open. Plus, some of the books tend to unbalance the game (Jedi Academy and Clone Wars I'm looking at you) and I've even gone so far to sell those off seeing as I'd not use them because of that.

Finally, thank you and congratulations on returning from your deployment. I too am military and know what a sacrifice it is, and how hard it is to keep the gaming hobby going when you are forward. I look forward to gaming with you in the days ahead.

m_rebstock
June 22nd, 2010, 20:39
I have questions galore. if you have yahoo messenger could you plz message me there m_rebstock thank you

m_rebstock
June 22nd, 2010, 20:49
I have questions galore. if you have yahoo messenger could you plz message me there m_rebstock thank you

m_rebstock
June 22nd, 2010, 22:15
ok so not that computer savy, I have the star wars saga from dm-crazy. i am not sure how to get it working from the way i read it. thanks for all of your help

ProfMarks
June 22nd, 2010, 22:48
Heading to work tonight; have the overnight watch, but I'll try and get you about the time we were posting tomorrow if that works for you.

m_rebstock
June 23rd, 2010, 10:38
Ok so now it looks like I got the skin on there for space wars, star wars saga, and savage worlds. My porblem now is the XML stuff. I have no clue what to do or where to start.

m_rebstock
June 23rd, 2010, 18:49
Progress is being made. I have figured out how to get maps and tokens in but i still have not found anything for the library. Once i have that or if I can not find it I will start a quik hack and slash scenario to get a feel for it in game.

Xorn's tutorials were a big help

m_rebstock
June 24th, 2010, 15:43
ok so i have found an adventure and I am manually putting the info in. this will take some time. its a short adventure so should not take to long

MereExistence
June 25th, 2010, 03:04
If you get a game up and running in SWSE, I'd be interested. I'm on EST timezone...

m_rebstock
June 25th, 2010, 10:37
sweet well i am really geting a hang of all this. just alot of stuff to input. In about a week i would like to do a character generation session just to see who is playing and what character they are gonna play.

Himo
June 25th, 2010, 20:36
Will there be any restrictions character wise? Just so I can start thinking of what I want to play. Obviously if we are playing rebellion era for example we can't really play jedi.

panzer
June 25th, 2010, 21:42
I'm interested to join

m_rebstock
June 26th, 2010, 16:25
I usally do not have restrictions, for rebellion era i do allow the play of jedi. Here is the thing though, imagine being a padawan learner with no master and your in exile. be kind of hard to advance without proper training in the begining. I am not saying you would or would not find a master. that is a whole other adventure in it self. I hope everyone has a book also. I am trying to input as much of the book as i can so its easily referenced. I should be able to start character generation next week or can even do it by ones or twos at first. rather the whole group be there to get the group symetrical. other than that i think we will start off between 1-3 levels and see who survives. ah please have a back story made. as of now it looks like about 6 people that want to play. you can also post on here what you would like to play race, class, or anything special. if its something you wanna keep secret from the group plz PM me. i like mystery and i like my games to be player driven. I will put a date and time on here when character generation will be.

m_rebstock
July 1st, 2010, 03:09
ok I would like to maybe do our first session this Friday, the 2nd july if anyone would like to let me know. let me know a time

Himo
July 1st, 2010, 10:57
I can't this Friday I have stuff planned already.

m_rebstock
July 1st, 2010, 19:10
can i get a date that is good for everyone

ProfMarks
July 2nd, 2010, 00:24
I can do this Friday depending on time. As far as the future, I'd suggest putting a stake in the ground and seeing who can show or start a poll of some sort.

Personnally I'm spinning up on another game in tandem with this one and have some work travel ahead, but I'm serious enough about this game to do whatever I can to make it work. Hopefully, the timing works out.

Let me know about tomorrow.

Himo
July 2nd, 2010, 09:38
Sunday would be best for me. But I could do Friday's normally depending on times. Just not this week.

Artaron
July 3rd, 2010, 12:42
Hi guys ! I see this game might get started soon. I'm just re-expressing my interest. I cannot wednsedays/thursdays/sundays. The rest of the days I can do evenings, and saturday all day. I'm in Europe time zone by the way (GMT+1). hopefully we can play together.

Himo
July 4th, 2010, 19:40
Im UK so currently GMT +1, I can do most Mondays,Wednesdays and Fridays from 4pm my time and also all day Sundays. Won't be able to do Saturdays from mid August.
What time zone are you in and what time would you want to be playing at?

Also I presume from your earlier post that the game is to be set in the rebellion time frame? If so is it before or after (BY)? Just trying to make a character background at the moment so just wanted to get a feel for when the game is set.

I was thinking of a Human Scoundrel.

Artaron
July 5th, 2010, 15:53
I think the post referring to the rebellion era was just meant to say there will be no restriction on available classes, such as jedi (which I'm also thinking about playing by the way). Although if it is Rebellion era it'd be nice to kill stormtroopers, but I think it should be before the Battle of Yavin. More like Dark Times, a short time after the rise of the empire. Then again, the are other very rich backgrounds like Pre-ep 1 Republic and KOTOR which we could look at. What do other people think ?

Himo
July 5th, 2010, 17:15
I'm not overly bothered what era we play to be honest. I like them all! :D

Himo
July 8th, 2010, 09:23
If your looking for a good Star Wars Saga Edition podcast I've started to listen to the order 66 podcast. Only just started but its been good so far.

Also I can do character creation on Friday depending on time if your free?

m_rebstock
July 10th, 2010, 03:08
I am terribly sorry that it has taking me so long to get back to everyone that is interested. I have not abandoned the game and I am still very interested in playing. I am currently moving houses and just got my internet back up. It is Friday 2200 right now so i would like to set up a date of wednesday, 14 july 1800 eastern standard time USA to do characters, which hopefully should not take more than an hour or two. Then i was thinking Game time could be that friday 16 july 1800 till 2200 or so and then we could go from there. Not entirely sure how to host but I do have vent and I am willing to throw out the IP with password if people want to use that for off game discussion.

Himo
July 10th, 2010, 15:12
I may be able to manage that. That will be midnight here so may struggle but I will give it a try for the first session to see how I get on. Question about char gen are you doing rolls for abilities or point buy? If point buy how many points 25? 28? Just so I can get a head start on char gen.

m_rebstock
July 10th, 2010, 19:42
that is the one thing i am old school about i like to do the rolls in front of the GM I could prob push the time back to about 1600-1700 but that would be pushing it. just cause i have work. I will try and be here and hope we can get at least 4 but would prefer between 6-8 characters. droids are welcome also. its also always good to have a character tree. which just means having more than one character ready just in case you die off you are able to get back in with little hastle. soooooo Uk players i should see you about 10-12 pm your time on wednesday and us players it should be 4-6 pm same day. message your friends lets try to get a good turnout

Himo
July 10th, 2010, 20:50
Yeah sounds good. I will come up with a few more characters ideas for Wednesday.

m_rebstock
July 10th, 2010, 22:24
is anyone else sure they will be ale to show up?

Artaron
July 10th, 2010, 23:44
If all is as planned I have a 4E game that night. that being said, if I can log into two games at the same time I can come as well. I'll be a bit slow though as I'll have to keep track of what's going on in both. So are we to understand you wish us to roll stats as opposed to a more reliable point buy ? Is it going to be traditional 4d6 drop 1 ? heroic 1d8+10 ?

m_rebstock
July 11th, 2010, 01:30
I tend to do the 4d6 drop lowest. of course there is always room for change if need be. Artaron are you talking about on the 14th or the 16th?

Himo
July 11th, 2010, 12:41
I'm pretty sure you can log into two different games.

Stitched
July 11th, 2010, 14:24
Probably not the place to ask but does Star Wars d6 still exist (meaning the old West End books and/or FG2 ruleset)?

m_rebstock
July 12th, 2010, 01:00
I am not sure mate. you are always welcome to join my game though :D

ProfMarks
July 13th, 2010, 07:32
Unfortunately, I can't support a Friday night game due to other committments. Shame too, I do like Saga and was hoping to be a part of this game. Best of luck all, and have a blast!

m_rebstock
July 13th, 2010, 10:42
what days are you available again?

Artaron
July 13th, 2010, 21:42
I'm available for character creation friday afternoon/evening gmt

m_rebstock
July 13th, 2010, 22:53
are you not available for tomorrow night?

ProfMarks
July 14th, 2010, 04:27
I'm on travel this week and out of my normal time zone. Tomorrow night I wouldn't be available until well past normal hours for the EST and I don't have my books.

Regardless, I have other committments on Friday nights so I can't make the normal session time though I'd like to. Gaming wise, my Monday's and Sunday's are open as I play another game on Saturday's. I appreciate the question, but it appears you have plenty of folks who can make the session as scheduled, and while I'd love to play some SW:SE, I'm certainly not one you need to revolve a game around.

I'll keep an eye on your threads in case something switches up. Until then, have a great game!

Himo
July 14th, 2010, 08:41
The main issue for me is the time of day everyone can play since we span timezones.

I can manage all day Sunday until 10pm BST so 4pm EST. But again i think someone said they couldn't do Sundays.

Mid week won't really work for me since at the earliest we would be starting what 6pm EST, which is 12pm here and with work early morning it just wouldn't work for me.

I don't mind on Friday night starting at 12 since I won't need to get up early for anything on a Saturday.

Anyway hopefully we can come up with something that suits everyone!

m_rebstock
July 14th, 2010, 20:38
ok so i am still doing character creation tonight not sure how to do it but here is teh alias information............ rich keep tiny fang that is the one and it should work lol we shall see

m_rebstock
July 14th, 2010, 20:45
I also have yahoo messenger, plz message me on there when ready to start that way i can get the game turned on and ready to go, it is m_rebstock

Himo
July 14th, 2010, 21:04
I don't have yahoo messenger(i use msn) but I'm ready to go when ever you bring the server up.

Himo
July 14th, 2010, 21:13
Nevermind i found my old yahoo account details. silver_surfer_himo.

m_rebstock
July 14th, 2010, 22:34
zany zone huge seal that is the new alias join when your ready gents

m_rebstock
July 15th, 2010, 00:23
ok we are pushing char gen till this friday, and then we can contiue to figure out what day we want still need some players

Artaron
July 16th, 2010, 18:55
Is char creation on tonight ?

Himo
July 16th, 2010, 20:39
Yeah i think so. Either 10 or 12 uk time depending on when he gets home from work.

m_rebstock
July 16th, 2010, 20:57
ok i am home and starting up the game now same alias

m_rebstock
July 17th, 2010, 02:57
it is looking like sundays will be the best time for us to do this do to people not being able to play on other days. I will be on pretty early all day sunday to get this started. hopefully i hear back from everyone

m_rebstock
July 18th, 2010, 15:52
ok we can try this again need players to go ahead and join if they can alias is the same as in the post

m_rebstock
July 19th, 2010, 15:39
New play date is on Sunday at 0900 Est. time. I have 3 players currently and need about 3 more to start.

m_rebstock
July 21st, 2010, 22:40
well this sunday will be cancelled due to work. I am in the military and I have to do a 24 hour duty on sunday. so we shall do it sunday the week after. Can you gents help me out by finding other players, I don't think i am going about it the right way or something. we only have 3 with one addition that can't play till later

ProfMarks
July 22nd, 2010, 02:38
All good m_reb. Being military as well I know how duty is. As far as finding gamers I'm shocked this hasn't exploded already. Usually it seems there are far more Star Wars Saga players then games. The only thing I else that could be done might be droping a post on d20 radios order 66 boards, but no telling if that crowd has fantasy grounds.

Himo
July 22nd, 2010, 07:29
No problems. Players wise maybe but the day and time in the thread title or add a game on the game calander. Prof's idea about d20radios site could be a good one as well.

m_rebstock
August 1st, 2010, 03:29
game is on the game calender add yourself guys :D

m_rebstock
August 1st, 2010, 15:40
so we are on the game now if anyone wants to join alias is zany zone huge seal

Stitched
August 1st, 2010, 16:17
Ah damn shame. You are using a non-2.7.0 version. Can't join. :cry:

m_rebstock
August 1st, 2010, 16:22
try and upgrade mate would be great to have another player

m_rebstock
August 1st, 2010, 16:27
i am not seeing the 2.7 patch

m_rebstock
August 1st, 2010, 16:31
we are running a 2.6.5 version but i am not seeing a 2.7.0

Stitched
August 1st, 2010, 16:32
I am running the "Test Manager" and had updated to 2.7.0.

I tried running release but it still won't connect. Damn damn shame because I wanted to try the new Star Wars. Last time I played was the West End Games version (d6).

m_rebstock
August 1st, 2010, 16:34
are you able to just download the standard version?

Stitched
August 1st, 2010, 16:40
Running it now. Just downloading the files I need from your server. Are you guys using Skype or something?

m_rebstock
August 1st, 2010, 16:41
nope
just the game for now

davidthird
August 2nd, 2010, 05:37
hello guys i live in the stated and il be intrested in playing star wars havent played it in my life

davidthird
August 2nd, 2010, 05:38
states* i mean lol

m_rebstock
August 2nd, 2010, 06:19
I am also in the states and just get up early for the euro gentlemen. add your self on my game in the game calender. demons in the dark

davidthird
August 2nd, 2010, 16:03
now im am a noob at this i dont know how to play this game can someone give mne a quick run through or send me a video . thanks

davidthird
August 2nd, 2010, 16:03
I was also thinking we should make a forums for this group

m_rebstock
August 2nd, 2010, 16:05
they have a few videos on the main page and my game is up and running right now. you can join under my new alias able monk soft grave

m_rebstock
August 2nd, 2010, 16:07
also i am on yahoo m_rebstock

m_rebstock
August 2nd, 2010, 16:09
also no sith LOL

davidthird
August 2nd, 2010, 16:23
how do i join your game?
and did you mean you use yahoo messenger or ? lol im lost

m_rebstock
August 2nd, 2010, 16:24
i use yahoo messenger if you need help its just easier to talk on there. m_rebstock

Stitched
August 2nd, 2010, 18:11
Sorry for jetting so quick. I didn't want to hold up the other two players with my re-rolling of the character.

Just an idea : Maybe have some decent pre-gens for last minute players to jump in and get playing faster.

m_rebstock
August 2nd, 2010, 19:48
we are still waiting on players mate, you have time to roll we were just messing around on there