PDA

View Full Version : first time poster, new to virtual table top gaming

Vinja89
June 18th, 2010, 16:52
howdy guys, i just signed up on the forums and am thinking of buying the license for this program. i simply have a few questions about it first if some of the veterans would be kind enough to answer?

first some background, i'm not new to table top gaming, i've played D&D 3.5E for a few years, dabbled in fourth for a month or two (its not that i didn't like it, i actually had fun with the new system it was just strange adjusting to it after playing 3.5) but my gaming group fell apart about a year or two ago and i haven't played since.

me and a friend who played together have been contemplating trying to find a local group, no luck. then i find a forum post that leads me to this, could this be the answer to our problem? does the game automatically have the 3.5 and 4th edition rule sets come coded with the download? stupid question, how do the character sheets work exactly? similar to the character builder from the d&d website or manual? simply for curiosity's sake, i'm fine with either.

well that went longer then i anticipated, thanks so much for reading and any information you can provide

(P.S. anyone ever play deadlands using this? ive never played but it looks fun)

cpbs
June 18th, 2010, 17:14
I am replying from my mobile so I can't add the link but you can test out the game through the demo. Just go to the download link and click to download the application. Although the demo might not answer all your questions it's a good place to start.

Vinja89
June 18th, 2010, 17:15
thank you! i must have missed that, i feel like an idiot. ill check it out right now

Xorn
June 18th, 2010, 17:53
There's an example of FG2 in use (4E game) in my gallery thread starting with [Stream] that plays on a loop right now. My video tutorials also show what FG2 can do, although they are a little dated and ready for revision. I'm waiting for the next patch to revise them, but I might throw up some little snippets to look at till then. (Like the 4E ruleset character sheet, for example.)

Vinja89
June 18th, 2010, 17:54
wow thats great, thank you so much

Doswelk
June 18th, 2010, 21:03
(P.S. anyone ever play deadlands using this? ive never played but it looks fun)

Deadlands Reloaded (the Savage Worlds version), is coming to FGII but is still be written, the Standard Savage Worlds ruleset is an additional purchase.

I have a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/doswelk) that has numerous videos showing off FGII albeit based around Savage Worlds.

3.5 & 4E rulesets can be downloaded and the full SRD for 3.5 can also be purchased here, due to restrictions on 4e books have to be converted by indivudals for their own groups use (although tools have been written to automate it - as long as you have a DDI subscription).

Griogre
June 18th, 2010, 23:01
After you look at the demo which is based on D&D 3.5, feel free to ask any more questions.

However, I will answer the biggest one about Virtual Tabletops. Yes, it is very possible to find and enjoy an real online RPG game that plays very much like a face to face game would.