PDA

View Full Version : Odd Crash Please Assist

LePacteDesLoups
June 17th, 2010, 04:13
This is very odd, but let me try and explain the situation. I have a campaign I created, with barely anything in it. Basically, it was a test so my friend could make a character in it. It worked great the first night as we basically messed around with it. Then tonight, for some unknown reason, whenever he tried to log into my server, his client freezes at the character management screen. All he sees is "Create New Character" and can't even see an entry for the one he made (even though I can on my side). Here's the kicker: even when I try a local connect to my own server, my player-side test client freezes in the same exact place. If you try and click on Create New Character, it's just frozen.

I have all the firewall and port stuff set up right, and if I make a new campaign, he can connect and make a new guy just fine. Obviously, something in the old campaign is corrupted (?). Is there any way to fix this or am I just up the creek. This error frightens me... if I had a whole campaign set up in there I wouldn't be able to use it. So I'd like to fix it if possible to see if this is fixable. I'll entertain any ideas.

Thanks.

Oberoten
June 17th, 2010, 15:25
It sounds like there is a lot of data-transfer going on. I have encountered this sitch occasionally when I have added a lot of maps and/or tokens since last time we played and someone new connects that wasn't there.

Give it some time and it will resolve.

- Obe

LePacteDesLoups
June 17th, 2010, 15:59
The only thing in the campaign at all is a single sample character. No modules, no extensions, no tokens, no maps, no art.

Oberoten
June 17th, 2010, 16:13
Okay... next thing to check is if you have QoS scheduling turned on, if it is, turn it off. Normally this comes when there is some latency in the network transfers.

Also check so nothing else is sucking up your bandwith.

- Obe

ShadeRaven
June 17th, 2010, 23:22
I'd also look to see if there anything, even the smallest thing, that you have in the old campaign that might be causing a problem. A portrait you added. A new token. A map or image you added to the image directory. Items or Personalities you created. Etc.

You should be able to eventually narrow it down to a single cause. Once you know the cause, it's easy to backtrack until you figure out what aspect of it that could have caused the problem.

I have been using FG2 heavily for a few years now and have never lost an entire campaign. Almost invariably, it turns out to be a singular issue that can be worked out and the rest of the data saved.

Granted, I am sure it *IS* possible for a campaign to get corrupted, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you back up your campaign folder even once a week, you won't have much to worry about.

I'd not let this one occurrence frighten you off of what is generally a wonderful product.