PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Videos

Doswelk
June 12th, 2010, 12:58
Now we holidays out of the way and a new computer built I can resume the videos...

So are there any requests?

I need to finish the creating modules how-to.

I'm also planning to replace the original video (with the crap sound), that I had to split into two (to make if fit on You Tube), with a longer version (with better sound), I'll post these on my web site (when it's up!)

tdewitt274
June 12th, 2010, 21:16
A basic tutorial for a newcomer to Savage Worlds (GM and Player) and how to use FG to play.

Kind of a "Here's how to play Savage Worlds" as well as "Here's how to play with FG", and the DM version as well.

:)

Doswelk
June 13th, 2010, 11:10
What things do you want me to cover?

I've done the character sheet, creating a campaign & the Combat Tracker...

Using it all the time I've forgotten what else I found confusing when I started (I also had the advantage I could email the guy that wrote the FGII version when I got stuck!).

I am more than happy to answer ALL you requests! :D

Mortani
June 13th, 2010, 15:32

Are those posted somewhere already? I'm new to FG and just getting used to the 4E ruleset. Been wanting to try out Savage Worlds, and video tutorials would be great.

Mask_of_winter
June 13th, 2010, 17:47
Very helpful videos. Even for seasonned GM's sometimes you can benefit from another user's experience and way of doing things.

Personally, I'd like to a see a demo that shows the applications of the new unofficial patches that were released by the community. I have a hard time understanding how the new Powers extension has modified the ruleset. I tinkered with it and couldnt get it to work.

Doswelk
June 14th, 2010, 00:46
Very helpful videos. Even for seasonned GM's sometimes you can benefit from another user's experience and way of doing things.

Personally, I'd like to a see a demo that shows the applications of the new unofficial patches that were released by the community. I have a hard time understanding how the new Powers extension has modified the ruleset. I tinkered with it and couldnt get it to work.

That's a nice quick one.

I'll crank that tomorrow (I hope!)

Doswelk
June 14th, 2010, 00:48
Are those posted somewhere already? I'm new to FG and just getting used to the 4E ruleset. Been wanting to try out Savage Worlds, and video tutorials would be great.

They are posted on my YouTube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/doswelk) (for now).

Doswelk
June 14th, 2010, 14:29

Here you go....

cC0oqek7LFU

Tristram
June 14th, 2010, 16:16
One thing I've found is that if you have the "unofficial patches" extention and the "powers" extention both enabled then the "powers" extention doesn't work. The "powers" extention by itsself works.

Doswelk
June 14th, 2010, 17:43
One thing I've found is that if you have the "unofficial patches" extention and the "powers" extention both enabled then the "powers" extention doesn't work. The "powers" extention by itsself works.

I've not tried the patch extension ( i just hacked the relevant files), but good to know.

I wonder why the problem occurs though?

Matchstick
June 14th, 2010, 17:45
Ah, that must be why I can't do the Powers. I have the Unofficial patch thing in.

Matchstick
June 14th, 2010, 17:47
What things do you want me to cover?

Using it all the time I've forgotten what else I found confusing when I started (I also had the advantage I could email the guy that wrote the FGII version when I got stuck!).

I am more than happy to answer ALL you requests! :D

How about something where you go over how to use a purchased module? Picking the right tabs, reading over the adventure, preparing the combat trackers ahead of time, stuff like that. Would that be a good one?

Mask_of_winter
June 14th, 2010, 23:00
Here you go....

cC0oqek7LFU

Thank you Doswelk!

As someone else pointed out, I guess I couldnt get it to work because I had both extensions enabled. I will try with only the powers one enabled.

Doswelk
June 14th, 2010, 23:29
Thank you Doswelk!

As someone else pointed out, I guess I couldn't get it to work because I had both extensions enabled. I will try with only the powers one enabled.

Hmm, that's the downside I suppose of being the main tester for the updates to the Savage Worlds Ruleset (I have a slightly different version to everyone else!)

Glad you got it going, somewhere in the Savage Worlds threads was how to do a manual fix (this should work with the powers extension).

If I had to choose between the two extensions I'd pick the bug fix one myself!

Not that the power extension isn't great :o

Invain63
June 15th, 2010, 15:25
Here you go....
Thank you SO much for doing these videos - they are very helpful!

-Kevin McD

Matchstick
June 15th, 2010, 20:24
Hmm, that's the downside I suppose of being the main tester for the updates to the Savage Worlds Ruleset (I have a slightly different version to everyone else!)

Glad you got it going, somewhere in the Savage Worlds threads was how to do a manual fix (this should work with the powers extension).

If I had to choose between the two extensions I'd pick the bug fix one myself!

Not that the power extension isn't great :o

I think that fix is here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12148

So if I make that manual change then the powers will work and I can leave the unofficial patch extension attached to my campaign right?

Thanks!

Ikael
June 15th, 2010, 21:25
I think that the problem between these two extensions is that they both overwrite the same "charsheet_tplistitem" windowclass. When you have enabled both of the extension, the powers extension will first overwrite the windowclass but after that the unofficial patch extension will do it again and make powers extension useless. I quess the extensions are loaded up according to their names (and dependencies but it's not the case here), so the powers extension is named to:

<properties>
<name>Savage Worlds Powers v1</name>

and unofficial extension is named to

<properties>
<name>Savage Worlds ruleset unofficial patches</name>

This means that the power extension is loaded up before the unofficial extension because of it's name (captial 'P' comes before the lower case 'r'). You can try to fix this issue by changing both extension names to following (or just turn power extension name to lower cases):

Savage Worlds powers v1
Savage Worlds Ruleset unofficial patches

Alternatively you can create depencendy where power extension is depended to the unofficial patch extension, but if you do so, that means that you must use unofficial extension to use the power extension. Just add this to within power extensions's properties-tag.

<dependency>
</dependency>

Matchstick
June 17th, 2010, 00:03
I think that the problem between these two extensions is that they both overwrite the same "charsheet_tplistitem" windowclass. When you have enabled both of the extension, the powers extension will first overwrite the windowclass but after that the unofficial patch extension will do it again and make powers extension useless. I quess the extensions are loaded up according to their names (and dependencies but it's not the case here), so the powers extension is named to:

<properties>
<name>Savage Worlds Powers v1</name>

and unofficial extension is named to

<properties>

This means that the power extension is loaded up before the unofficial extension because of it's name (captial 'P' comes before the lower case 'r'). You can try to fix this issue by changing both extension names to following (or just turn power extension name to lower cases):

Savage Worlds powers v1
Savage Worlds Ruleset unofficial patches

Alternatively you can create depencendy where power extension is depended to the unofficial patch extension, but if you do so, that means that you must use unofficial extension to use the power extension. Just add this to within power extensions's properties-tag.

<dependency>
</dependency>

OK, so I have both extensions and have them in the Extensions folder. But how do I edit them? I tried opening SW_Powers.ext in Notepad but it's not text or xml. I was just going to add the dependancy.

Thanks!

Doswelk
June 17th, 2010, 00:09
rename to .zip then open.

when finished rename to .ext

Mask_of_winter
June 17th, 2010, 03:01
I tried Ikael's fix of switching to lower case. It didnt work. Good luck with the dependancy! Let us know if it works.

Doswelk
June 17th, 2010, 03:23
Other option do it manually: (remember to backup first!)

Fix damage dice (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=88963#post88963)
Fix multiple PC bug (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12135)

Matchstick
June 17th, 2010, 17:37
I tried Ikael's fix of switching to lower case. It didnt work. Good luck with the dependancy! Let us know if it works.

I think it worked, I've got both of them there and I've got the cool icon in front of the Powers. I did crash once though, so I left the server running to see if it would crash again.

I also watched this latest video (again) so I could get the skill right. After I did that I realized that by putting Bolt into the Weapon area (so the player could roll easily) he was using the Shooting skill instead of his Arcane skill! It's a lightning gun, so it seemed natural, but he should have been using his Spellcasting skill (now "weird science", yay video!) for shooting his gizmo.

Is there something specific you'd like me to check to confirm everything is working?

Doswelk
June 17th, 2010, 20:14
How about something where you go over how to use a purchased module? Picking the right tabs, reading over the adventure, preparing the combat trackers ahead of time, stuff like that. Would that be a good one?

Righty ho

I'll do this one tomorrow (hopefully)

Dayson
June 19th, 2010, 03:35
Is there a possablitiy that you will make a Savage Worlds SLA Industries rules set or module? I know that there is interest in the game.

Mask_of_winter
June 19th, 2010, 11:55
I dont think it's possible because of intellectual property. Until a company releases it as a SW products and comes to an agreement with SmiteWorks it aint happening. As of right now it's only fan made.

And we dont want to tie up Doswelk anymore then he already is. I believe he's got Hellfrost and the Fantasy Company to release :P

How's the progress on that btw? Any ETA on the release?

Doswelk
June 19th, 2010, 15:32
I believe he's got Hellfrost and the Fantasy Companion to release :P

How's the progress on that btw? Any ETA on the release?

They are "done", i.e. I have finished coding them, but now the slow process of proof reading and testing has to take place, then they have to be approved by PEG/Triple Ace, so I do not know how long it will be...

In the mean time I am waiting for the PDFs of the Bestiary and the Gazetteer to start converting them...

Doswelk
June 19th, 2010, 15:33
Is there a possablitiy that you will make a Savage Worlds SLA Industries rules set or module? I know that there is interest in the game.
It is unlikely that I will do that having never played SLA more than once (and it was not the Savage Version) sorry.

Is there an official version?

That said I'm happy to help you if you want to make your own copy with any helpful hints.

Dayson
June 19th, 2010, 19:25
It is unlikely that I will do that having never played SLA more than once (and it was not the Savage Version) sorry.

Is there an official version?

That said I'm happy to help you if you want to make your own copy with any helpful hints.

There is no official version. Thank you for your offer of help. I may take you up on that offer in the near future.

Mask_of_winter
June 20th, 2010, 13:29
What about an advanced tutorial on how to create a common or client library entry with linked images?

Take the Space Pulp rules from TAG that is available free for instance. Let's say I want to make something like that for my players and I have some Gear tables I'd like to link an image to. I dont know how to make tables with text so I want to make an image for the players. They click on the link and the table image pops up.

I want a nice smooth cascading menu for the library module too, not all the separate individual entries thrown in there when they open the library.

I'm working on the Tomb of Terrors one sheet from PEG right now and I'd like to include the Wizards & Warriors with it. I believe that would be a library entry. I'll put in the treasure cards too and make them item entries. And finally, I want to include a token set made from the figure flats. It would be nice if portrait pictures for the players could be included with the module but I don't think that's possible. Or is it?

I've read some info on this forum on the subject but as someone who's computer illiterate a more hands on tutorial would be much appreciated.

Doswelk
June 20th, 2010, 14:34
What about an advanced tutorial on how to create a common or client library entry with linked images?

Yes I must finish that :o

Take the Space Pulp rules from TAG that is available free for instance. Let's say I want to make something like that for my players and I have some Gear tables I'd like to link an image to. I dont know how to make tables with text so I want to make an image for the players. They click on the link and the table image pops up.

Now do you want to know how to do a text table?

Embed graphics?

Or both :D

I want a nice smooth cascading menu for the library module too, not all the separate individual entries thrown in there when they open the library.

Not sure what you mean by a smooth cascading menu...

I'm working on the Tomb of Terrors one sheet from PEG right now and I'd like to include the Wizards & Warriors with it. I believe that would be a library entry. I'll put in the treasure cards too and make them item entries. And finally, I want to include a token set made from the figure flats. It would be nice if portrait pictures for the players could be included with the module but I don't think that's possible. Or is it?

Back when Digital Adventures was doing FGII modules we had a copy of Wizards and Warriors, not sure what happened to it, (i.e. if it was released or not) if anyone knows if I can I'll put it up on the Wiki.

Portrait pictures not sure about myself.

I've read some info on this forum on the subject but as someone who's computer illiterate a more hands on tutorial would be much appreciated.

okay okay I'll try something (not that I'm any expert just and a cut and pasted not a coder like some brilliant people round here!)

Mask_of_winter
June 20th, 2010, 15:14
Both embed graphics and linked image please :D I'm really putting you to work now am I? lol

Cascading menu. Take the PHB library module from the 4e ruleset. If you click on the Reference entry you can activate all these drop down sub entries.

And other well made library modules have each entry in order, not necessarily in alphabetical order. Like the SWEX Player's Guide has Credit/Legal at the top. And with the SWEX Player's Guide module you can drop Edges, Hindrances, Powers and Skills on your character sheet. I want to learn how to do that.

Let me know what's going on with the Wizards & Warriors.

And I understand if you are not an expert. Perhaps someone else would be kind enough to help you teach us through tutorial videos.

Doswelk
June 20th, 2010, 17:38
Both embed graphics and linked image please :D I'm really putting you to work now am I? lol.
Thought so...

Cascading menu. Take the PHB library module from the 4e ruleset. If you click on the Reference entry you can activate all these drop down sub entries.
Not got a 4e Library to see this (do not play it, thus not DDI subscription, thus no legal way to see the library layout.)

Plus the lua/xml code that supports this is the 4e ruleset may not exist in the SW ruleset, the library layout capabilities is decided by the ruleset.

And other well made library modules have each entry in order, not necessarily in alphabetical order. Like the SWEX Player's Guide has Credit/Legal at the top. And with the SWEX Player's Guide module you can drop Edges, Hindrances, Powers and Skills on your character sheet. I want to learn how to do that.
That's easier though, it will be in the module builder.

Doswelk
June 24th, 2010, 20:05
Let me know what's going on with the Wizards & Warriors.

Right I found this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10323&highlight=wizards+warriors

Which showed that is was uploaded on the old Savage Worlds Online for free.

I'll see if I can work out how to get it on the FG wiki...

Doswelk
July 28th, 2010, 01:27
Yesterday I started my own blog (this is different from the gaming blog on SavageWorldsOnline).

The third post has links to the original camtasia videos so you can now watch them without needing YouTube.

Mortani
July 28th, 2010, 02:11
Mind a link? I don't see what you're referring too.

Doswelk
July 28th, 2010, 10:26
D'oh!!!!!

That's what happens when you post at 2 in the morning!

https://www.furiousdice.com

:o

Doswelk
August 31st, 2010, 15:43
After an eternity I have finally made a new video! (https://www.furiousdice.com/creating%20a%20module%20part%202.html)

I'll need to split it into two before I can post on YouTube.

Mask_of_winter
September 1st, 2010, 00:11
I'm starting to understand... a little bit hehe

Which notepad do you use? How do some of your text seem to appear on the screen without copy and paste? Why are lines margined in the way they are? Are they any xml editing tutorial you use and would recommend? Is there a comprehensive list of which "command" does what somewhere on the web or on this forum?

I'm looking forward to your next video.

Thanks for taking the time to do this Kevin. I appreciate it.

Doswelk
September 1st, 2010, 09:01
I'm starting to understand... a little bit hehe
Glad to hear it!

Which notepad do you use?
I use Notepad++ (with the XML plugin)

How do some of your text seem to appear on the screen without copy and paste?
That is most likely as I buggered up the commentary as I was pasting stuff, swore a little and then started the commentary again, then in the edit I removed the mistakes so the video "jumps" from time to time! Having a script would probably help immensely!

Why are lines margined in the way they are? Are they any xml editing tutorial you use and would recommend?
Again quirk of my not auto-formatting stuff as I go (I use the XML plugin to "pretty" up the code every so often.

I bought a book on XML but to be honest most of it (style sheets etc.) do not apply to FGII. I just taught myself (hacking around with FG1, then FG 2, lua is the code I have problems with right now!)

Is there a comprehensive list of which "command" does what somewhere on the web or on this forum?
There is the XML scripting reference on this very site (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/). (But I do not know how complete it is, my knowledge is very limited to the SW ruleset these days!)

I'm looking forward to your next video. Thanks for taking the time to do this Kevin. I appreciate it.

You are welcome I am looking for requests, on what people want.

Mask_of_winter
September 2nd, 2010, 01:18
my knowledge is very limited to the SW ruleset these days!)

Then how about making a xml list of command pertaining to the SW ruleset in the near future?

You are welcome I am looking for requests, on what people want.

Next:
How to link an image to a library module
How to create a table (weapons table for instance)
How to create personalities/vehicles
And perhaps you did that in the previous video but I didnt "get" it; how to attach a thumbnail picture to your module.

Something else too, and perhaps Doug should answer that instead of you. But what about the legality of it? What must absolutely be included in that module for the publisher to accept it? and in what format?

You know, since Smite Works rely on the community to release all this material you think it would be a good investment for them to pay someone to develop a module creator software/editor. I'm sure there would be a dramatic increase in the influx of new material available. More modules = more members and more money. Sure, that would also mean more people could make their own module and would no longer need to purchase it from the store. But the bottom line is, people would still buy them. Why? For the same reason that many GM's buy campaign settings, adventure modules and sourcebooks, because it saves them a lot of time.

Oh well, keep up the good work Kevin!