PDA

View Full Version : A newcomer

Bonahe
June 11th, 2010, 05:02
This is my first foray into D&D, and other such games, I have never played other games like this before, the closest I have ever got was playing Neverwinter Nights, and Neverwinter Nights 2, while these are majorly based on Dungeons and Dragons, most of the actual work that is unique to d&d is all done behind the scenes.
I have obtained the Dungeons and Dragons masters guide, Monster manual, and the players handbook, all in pdf format, I have a microphone, and am ready to play, the problem is I have absolutely no idea where to start, I have never had anyone tell me what Dungeons and Dragons is, I found it on my own, and thus I have no help in where to start, I am not sure if I should join a game and figure it all out once I am in a game, (which seems unlikely due to slowing down the game tremendously.)
Or is there some way to construct my character before hand and send it to the Dungeon Master once I am in the game, I have begun reading the players handbook, and I figured I would post this before I actually dove into that, so that someone perhaps could respond in the time it took me to read it.

Thank you.
~Bonahe

GunnarGreybeard
June 11th, 2010, 07:38
Hi and welcome Bonahe,

I'm not a D&D player anymore but I am sure someone else will come along and post. It might also be helpful if you post what D&D version you have as there are members running games using a few different versions.

someoneinatree
June 11th, 2010, 13:04
Hi Bonahe and welcome.

I too started out with CRPGs including Baldur's Gate, NWN and NWN2!

If this is your first time ever with DnD, and you're looking to play 4th edition, I suggest having a play with the Dungeons and Dragons Character Builder (https://wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new/tool/characterbuilder) to start with. Things are a bit different from the 3.0/3.5e of Neverwinter Nights. The free trial version allows you to create characters 1 to 3. Its a great way to see your Player's Handbook info in action and how it works everything out.

It is possible to construct a character beforehand, but it depends on what licence you bought for FG2. If you have the Full licence, you can create characters locally through "Manage Characters" and when you connect to a game you can just import your local character onto the DMs server.

If you have the lite version however, you'll need to be connected to a server to make a character. Not a big deal though, as a DM who has the 4e modules parsed and on their server can help you put together a character much faster.

Once you have a vague understanding of character building and powers, then yes, the best way to learn is to play something! A one-shot game or even just some practice rounds of combat with a patient DM is a great intro to the mechanics.

Bonahe
June 11th, 2010, 16:03
Ok, I downloaded the character creator, its installing now, I was planning on playing 4th edition because that is what handbooks I have, also I believe I have the full edition of fantasy grounds because the manage characters button is there, I didn't handle the transaction.

Edit: Wow, this character creator is amazing, I did all the work I have been fussing over in fantasy grounds in seconds.

Another edit: if someone would be so kind could anyone tell me what the difference between D20 and D20_jpg?

someoneinatree
June 12th, 2010, 09:16
Edit: Wow, this character creator is amazing, I did all the work I have been fussing over in fantasy grounds in seconds.

Another edit: if someone would be so kind could anyone tell me what the difference between D20 and D20_jpg?

Yeah I really like the DDI Character Builder. I pretty much always create characters in there first, and then just use it as a reference for filling in my FG2 character sheet.

tdewitt274
June 12th, 2010, 21:03
d20 and d20_JPG are for 3rd edition D&D.

Bonahe
June 14th, 2010, 20:40
ahhh ok thank you, are all the rest 4e?

Oberoten
June 14th, 2010, 23:21
Nah. If ya head on over to Uncle Obe's nice li'll Wiki...
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Category:Rulesets

You'll find all kinds of interesting rulesets.

- Obe

Bonahe
June 15th, 2010, 05:55
That cleared it up thank you kindly.