PDA

View Full Version : How do I redeal for Quick?

Matchstick
June 6th, 2010, 20:43
Hello!

Had a great first session with Savage Worlds today, but I have one question (for now). How do I redeal an initiative card for a character with Quick?

All I get when I right click on the card in the combat tracker is Deal, and that seems to redeal to everyone.

Thanks!

mac40k
June 8th, 2010, 00:05
Check again. When I use that it just redeals the individual. Everyone else keeps their same initiative card. Now it will resort them in the initiative order, so maybe since you're seeing that happen you just think it is redealing everyone.

Indarien
June 8th, 2010, 01:26
Well, the "deal" icon off the radial menu works as Mac40k describes, making it ideal for Quick and similar edges. It is also a lot better than what I was doing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Matchstick
June 8th, 2010, 03:08
Check again. When I use that it just redeals the individual. Everyone else keeps their same initiative card. Now it will resort them in the initiative order, so maybe since you're seeing that happen you just think it is redealing everyone.

Sure enough. I was trying to do it during a game and with a large number of guys so it looked like everyone had gotten re-dealt. Well that's nice and easy!

Thanks!

phantomwhale
December 10th, 2010, 22:54
Am looking to automate this in the next version of the ruleset (mainly supposed to be a bugfix edition, but arguably "Level Headed" working and Quick not working could be a bug ?!)

No ETA yet, watch the boards.

VenomousFiligree
December 10th, 2010, 23:38
Watching! :D

joshuha
December 12th, 2010, 14:31
Am looking to automate this in the next version of the ruleset (mainly supposed to be a bugfix edition, but arguably "Level Headed" working and Quick not working could be a bug ?!)

It may seem nit-picky but in the rulebook Quick is a "may" and Level Headed does not give a choice. I believe that was why it was left manual.

VenomousFiligree
December 12th, 2010, 14:52
It may seem nit-picky but in the rulebook Quick is a "may" and Level Headed does not give a choice. I believe that was why it was left manual.
An option to turn on and off then?

phantomwhale
December 12th, 2010, 15:08
An option to turn on and off then?

Nit-picky is good :)

Option to turn on and off seems reasonable. Will get that into the next release (which I HAD almost finalised tonight, but now...) ;)

Mask_of_winter
December 12th, 2010, 23:32
already?? sweet!

Does that mean Deadlands has been submitted?

phantomwhale
December 13th, 2010, 04:39
already?? sweet!

Does that mean Deadlands has been submitted?

Ah, the eternal problem of the part-time developer; you want to build up the anticipation and enthusiasm for what your doing (to propel yourself onwards), but then you equally want to quickly put the handbrake on it at the same time, to manage expectations !!!

No, Deadlands is still under progress. Actually, during my month of house moving (from London to Melbourne - it was a big one - still waiting for 95% of my stuff) I did nothing, and for the last two weeks I have done LOTS... but on the core Savage Worlds ruleset.

Reason for this is the extension model for FGII, whilst useful, does involve a lot of copy-and-paste coding. This leads to multiple extensions not playing wall together (e.g the unofficial bug fixes doesn't work well with the powers extension, and it doesn't play too well with the deadlands extension either as it's currently written). Also when your finding bugs or poorly optimised code and fixing them up in the extension, you really want to go and fix them in the core ruleset, so when you copy-and-paste that code into the extension you are only adding new features.

On the flip-side, you don't want to then overshoot and deliver nothing ! So I have integrated all the unofficial bugs into the core ruleset, as well as a number of simple bugfixes and features that have been floating around for a while. Bigger improvements will have to wait. Then I can go back to finishing off Deadlands, building it on top of the new release which will make things a bit easier.

The new Savage version is almost done from a development point of view - however, I've not gone through a whole cycle before, and suspect some playtesting and bugfixing might come first - I'll be contacting Doug about this sometime this week. So I'd be cautious to say it's "coming soon", due to these extra quality control steps, but certainly I've worked hard and without too much interruption on it the last two weeks, and am really pleased with the progress I made and the quality of the code *shameless self-promotion*.

So will be back onto Deadlands development before the new year, and still "on haitus from employment" (e.g. a bum), so should have some good hours to throw at development.

Can anyone say "off topic diatribe" ? Good, well don't.

Cheers,
Ben

Mask_of_winter
December 13th, 2010, 16:26
In any cases, what you're saying makes sense. The improvements you're working on are anticipated by many guys in this community and I'm sure I'm not just speaking for myself when I say we're confident in your abilities to deliver a good product. With Kevin releasing good quality librairy modules and you with the coding, we're in business!

Looking forward to enjoy your hard work.