PDA

View Full Version : A few questions regarding Maps

Demogorgon
June 5th, 2010, 16:15
In general how large in MB and dimensions can a map be?

Also, If I preload an image file for the players can they at any point cheat and view the map via their file folders?

Andugus
June 5th, 2010, 16:30
There is a significant degradation to Fantasy Grounds II performance when my jpg file size is above 300 kb and/or 1400 x 1400 pixels. I have found the pixel size to be more important than the file size but keeping both size aspects below the aforementioned thresholds will make your maps a non factor in FG2 performance.

Another tip is to have your map be perfectly square so it self centers in FG2. Otherwise you will have to manually adjust the picture frame using control and drag, which is a pain at best.

Demogorgon
June 5th, 2010, 17:36
ok thanks. my map is twice that size :) 3200 x 3200 @ 650kb. I might have to break it up into smaller maps. I'm using 80x80 pixel squares now so miniatures actually look like something.

Andugus
June 5th, 2010, 18:09
I tend to work at 200PPI per square inch for compatibility with my chosen token resolution. You can drill down into the map and it all boils down to the grid size. I don't mind my map being large and only displaying a portion at a time, I just want to keep under 300kb/1400 x1400 pixels on final output.

Let me know how it works out for you. Maybe you could post the map. Here is a map I used in my last game session. My example illustrates how it may be okay to go above 300kb (though I tend not to do this for commercial modules, this is a home game map), but I always limit size to 1400 x 1400 pixels.

https://www.whitehairedman.com/whmprojects/whm_website/graphics/savaged_kithtakharos_session_36_burning_skiff_site _06012010.jpg

Demogorgon
June 5th, 2010, 22:17
well I would love to post my map here, the only problem is that my players haven't explored it yet. :)

Your map looks like it is a good size for a large combat so perhaps I'll consider resizing the one I have.

So are you just using photoshop? The map looks great.

Andugus
June 5th, 2010, 22:43
This map is mostly Adobe Photoshop though the pattern layers are often started with Adobe Illustrator. Then I use the patterns in Adobe Photoshop to create scalable pattern fills. There are only two pattern layers on this image: The palm trees and the grid.

I paint the rest with various brushes, opacity, and flow. I also tend to use many layers, few effects and occasional layer effects, like multiple or lighten. Lately my work has tended towards a watercolored approach because of the many layers and lighter opacity that I am working with.

adminwheel3
June 21st, 2010, 01:03
I just finished this one up using Photoshop after being inspired by one I found in a Dungeon. Took me far too long because I kept evolving my concept as I went along. I'm going to weep at the loss of resolution when I have to reduce it for FG. I played around a lot with lighting effects and bezels.

The setup is that the PCs enter from the doors to the south. Their goal is to go up and around the platform to reach the control panel (each set of stairs raises the elevation 10').

Each round a wave of undead will enter through one of the various halls. Eventually the big-bad guy will show up. Once the PCs successfully trigger the control panel while fighting off the big bad and his minions 80' above the floor, the pumps reverse and the room begins to fill from the bottom up at a rate of 10' a round with the equivilant of poisonous napalm. This floods all of the adjoining rooms and destroys the hundreds of undead that they contain. Victory!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/g2gotndzmnc/Control-Room.jpg (large)

Now my only question is how I can represent the room filling up with poisonous, burning goo?