PDA

View Full Version : New FG GM Trying to Start a Late Game

Explorer
May 31st, 2010, 22:49
Since there are really no late games being proposed right now, I figured I would start one. Late games are the only kind I can fit in my current schedule so this is for my benefit as well.

About Me
I've been role playing since my teens, both in a GM and PC role for many different systems. I place a high priority on fun and memorable action while respecting and rewarding good role play. My favorite systems are those with great combat systems and adaptable character creation.

What To Run
FG has some systems I'm very acquainted with and others I wouldn't mind trying. My short list of preferred systems would be something like this.

Warhammer Fantasy
Ars Magica
D&D 4th (Note I have no experience making maps)
Dark Heresy (modified)

I'd be open to any of those.

Times
I can only do after around 9:45pm PST on weekdays, or much earlier Sundays, around 8pm PST. So being a bit of a night owl would be required, but I don't plan on playing more than 3-4 hours.

So if this sounds interesting to anyone, let me know. I have a rough idea of what I would want to do for each system but not going to run with anything until some people get on board.

(Note): If 4th Ed is the consensus choice, I would need a map maker more than likely.

metaDM
June 1st, 2010, 04:47
I'm interested in a late 4e game myself. I have been running 4e games for a couple years but I am new to FG2.

Explorer
June 1st, 2010, 04:56
I like it because it's so easy to use but it absolutely requires maps and I don't have the time or know how to make them, so that's a big hurdle.

mrgrimm
June 1st, 2010, 07:12
I like it because it's so easy to use but it absolutely requires maps and I don't have the time or know how to make them, so that's a big hurdle.

Well DunDjinni is great for making maps. Requires very little skill and you can come up with more than adequate maps to use very quickly. No art skill required at all. I love the program and though I haven't created much with it there is a very strong and friendly community for it. In case you are interested the link is below.

www.dundjinni.com

Griogre
June 1st, 2010, 07:24
You could also just use the tile mapper from Wizards, crude but functional and easy to use - it's looks like what they use to make maps for their RPGA modules. Here's a link to the online one: https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t

ShadeRaven
June 1st, 2010, 14:40
You could also just use the tile mapper from Wizards, crude but functional and easy to use - it's looks like what they use to make maps for their RPGA modules. Here's a link to the online one: https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t
Hm.. interesting.. toyed around with it a bit, but didn't see any obvious way to export it to an image file. Am I missing something obvious or do you have to do some finagling?

Griogre
June 1st, 2010, 20:02
You can just do a Screen Print or use some other screen capture program. This is the easiest way of doing it - just zoom and center before taking the shot.

Personally I use IrfanView to do the screen capture because I can then just crop it, resize it and de-rez and then save the map. IrfanView is a free image utility you can download here: https://www.irfanview.com/

ShadeRaven
June 1st, 2010, 23:24
You can just do a Screen Print or use some other screen capture program. This is the easiest way of doing it - just zoom and center before taking the shot.

Personally I use IrfanView to do the screen capture because I can then just crop it, resize it and de-rez and then save the map. IrfanView is a free image utility you can download here: https://www.irfanview.com/
I'll definitely check that out then. I was hoping there was some magic option that I failed to make my perception check on within the program itself, but I don't mind a little screen capturing when the need calls for it.

Thanks for the info!

Explorer
June 3rd, 2010, 05:36
I did manage to get Dunddjinni, very good program. The grid tool makes it very easy to create maps, so 4th Edition is fully on the table now.

Is anyone interested in a game or was my thread just hi-jacked by map makers? ;]

mrgrimm
June 3rd, 2010, 10:56
I did manage to get Dunddjinni, very good program. The grid tool makes it very easy to create maps, so 4th Edition is fully on the table now.

Is anyone interested in a game or was my thread just hi-jacked by map makers? ;]

Congrats on getting Dundjinni. I am certainly not disappointed in it and I paid $90 dollars for it when I bought it. I hope you find it as useful and easy to use.