PDA

View Full Version : Just Getting Started

Hakim
May 31st, 2010, 22:13
I started playing D&D first edition in 1982, and I have been computer gaming since the days of Bard's Tale on the Apple IIe. It has been almost 10 years since I have done pencil and paper style gaming. In recent years I have been exclusively playing online games such as EQ, WoW, AoC, as well as RTS and FPS type games.

Though I have not done so for about a decade, I spent almost 20 years playing D&D (1st and 2nd edition), and a little GURPs as a player. Yeah... I am old school LOL. When I played D&D, I primarily DM'd. I knew 2nd edition backward and forward, and had a good portion of the DMG and PM virtually memorized. Even after 3rd edition came out, I personally did not like it, and continued playing second edition for many years.

For the last 5 years I have been playing WoW almost exclusively. I am GM and RL for a pretty serious raiding guild, but WoW is fast losing it's luster and I have been in search of a new game.

A few weeks ago I stumbled across Fantasy Grounds. Woot! I am very excited at the prospect of taking one of my favorite gaming styles into an online environment. I have always asked "why can't they just computerize the good old pencil and paper game to make it faster and easier in terms of battle". In fact, back when I was leaving EQ, I tried a game called NWN on the hopes that they had done exactly that... what a dissapointment that was. Needless to say the potential of this platform is very exciting to me.

Ultimately I plan to DM. When I DM'd in the past I used very detailed, custom content, and my campaigns had a good mix, including very elaborate dungeons, and leaning toward psychological and political intrigue.

Though I will spend the coming months penciling out the foundations of a new custom game world, I have a lot of learning to do in terms of rulesets, and software. I barely looked at 3rd edition when it came out, and I have never even glanced at 4th. So I have a large learning curve ahead of me.

In the meantime, I think I would like to mix in some play time as a player. This seems an excellent way to learn rulesets, as well as to get some interim play time (all design and no play makes Jack a dull boy).

So I am looking for a game that wouldn't mind an odd mix old school experience, with modern system nubery. My schedule is pretty flexible, but through the summer I would prefer weekday evenings (I camp a lot on the weekends in summer). Evening or late night is fine, and though I prefer to avoid weekends, it would not be out of the question if the quality of the game seemed worth it (particularly Sunday evening). I am not locked in to a ruleset (in fact I have some interest in sampling rulesets), but atm I lean toward 3.5 or 4 primarily due to a basic familiarity.

So if anyone has a game for which they think I would be a good fit, please let me know.

Mask_of_winter
May 31st, 2010, 22:40
Good to have you on board Hakim!

You're in luck if you're looking for a 3.5 or 4e game since they are probably the most popular. Just keep checking on this board and you'll find something soon.

Personally I'm taking a break from DnD (swords and wizards overdose hehe)

I am however looking for a few players for a Savage Worlds group. In case you never heard of it, its a rules lite rule system becoming very popular and already supported by robust and fun campaign settings. It seems to very popular especially to old school gamers in their 30's like myself. Former d20 players won't go back once they experience the Fast, Fun & Furious Savage Worlds!

I am going to start with the award winning Deadlands: Reloaded (weird-western/horror) and then plan on running some Solomon Kane (sword and sorcery/pulp).

Anyway, I'm just putting it out there.

Good luck in your search.

Sklock
May 31st, 2010, 23:07
Interesting. I am actually looking for an easy ruleset to learn, and don't want to get bogged down with too much complexity to fight mechanics. What would I need to play (and/or DM). It looks like it is $12 in the store, but when it says "complete" is the reference material included, or do I still need to by hard books to learn the system?

Also, assuming you mean you plan to start a game using this ruleset... if I get it and decide to try this ruleset out, what times/days, etc... would the campaign be?

Artaron
June 1st, 2010, 01:45
Hi Sklock ! Welcome to you. Sakusammakko is DMing a Castles & Crusades game. It's also a rules light system, focusing on gameplay and not on knowing hundreds of rules and spending two hours choosing just the right feat. (It tries to go back to the original d&d's flavour. It has elements of 3.5 and 1st ed) There are four players so far and we just had our introductory session yesterday, which lead us to the adventure's gates an Sak's still accepting players. You can come give it a try for one session if you want, and see if you like the group and the ruleset. Next session is planned so far for Sunday 6th at 18h GMT+1. Feel free to check out our forum, where you can find information about the campaign, as well as the descriptions and pictures of the characters we are currently playing and their journal entries.
https://candc.forumotion.com/the-legio-campaign-gmt-f6/
Like I said, if you can make it at that day and time, why not give it a try for a session? You can contact Sakusammakko on this forum or on the campaign one. Possibly see you in game !

Sklock
June 1st, 2010, 03:35
Don't want to come across to nubish or lazy, but want to make sure I have a full understanding of this time zone issue. I have done the math, but I just want to confirm.

I am Pacific, which I believe means I am GMT -8. So if if your campaign starts on Sunday at 1800 GMT +1, that would be 9:00am on Sunday (my time)?

Artaron
June 1st, 2010, 11:27
Yes, if you are GMT-8, you're right it's 9 am on your en. If it's not too early for a Sunday for you your welcome. And sorry Hakim the previous message was for you too. Both of you are welcome to our campaign. If you're interested once you've checked the forum you can register on it or contact Sakusammako here and he'll arrange a pre-session just so you can roll your characters.