PDA

View Full Version : Dying effect

Function
May 24th, 2010, 03:56
When a unit is in the dying status could you give it the unconscious effect automatically and add prone? Just a request for a future update.

Thanks,
/function

ps. Another issue I am seeing is that End N effects dropped reactively during other entities turns do not remove themselves when they are supposed to or at all in some cases. I believe this is because the targets die before the effect ends. Feel free to move this post to another forum if it shouldn't be here.

Moon Wizard
May 25th, 2010, 00:22
I've thought about the same thing for units which fall to 0 hp or less. The question is whether every GM wants the Unconscious and Prone effects to be auto-applied. I haven't looked through the material specifically to identify if there are any abilities like the 3.5E Die Hard which allow PCs/NPCs to function at negative hp.

On the End N effects, the removal of the source creature should not impact whether the effect is removed, since the initiative value of the original creature is preserved in the effect data. Any specific examples that you can help me identify where you see incorrect behavior would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JPG

PublicJohnDoe
May 25th, 2010, 10:12
Honestly, I'm against auto-applying the unconscious and prone conditions to creatures which fall to 0 hp or lower...

Function
May 28th, 2010, 17:22
Moon- Is there anyway I can get you a log file or something when it happens to help demonstrate when the end n effects stay forever? Would a screenshot be helpful? I will try my best to pay attention to the situation when it happens.

Typically it happens when I use my Invokers ability to daze a creature on its own turn after it moves so that it loses its attack. The daze effect in theory should wear off when my turn ends a few initiatives later. However, based on my understanding of FG2 I expect it to wear off after the monsters turn during the next round. Neither happen.

Also, is there a way you can allow players to edit the effects on themselves? It would save some time if players were able to remove prone an such when they stand up. That way the DM is freed up to concentrate on the monsters. Sorry to keep hitting you with upgrade requests, not sure if there is a thread on some other forum for this stuff.

Johndoe- I am curious why you don't want the effects to auto apply? There is a feat, and I believe a paragon tier belt that mimic the diehard effect from the previous editions. After playing for close to two years we have yet to encounter a pc or npc that had this ability. Perhaps you could have a checkbox for it? There are also abilities that allow some classes to avoid GRANTCA when prone or dazed. Would you also suggest he remove that part from those effects? Obviously those effects get used a lot more than dying but they still have the issue moon mentioned. Personally anything that speeds up combat I am in favor of.

We are just wrapping up the Skaalmad campaign so hitting people while they are down happens almost every round. (it is full of trolls)

/function

Moon Wizard
May 28th, 2010, 22:55
Keep the wish items coming. It keeps my list nice and long, with plenty of options for choosing improvements.

My general rule when developing all the functionality for the 4E ruleset was to get all of the data from the core rulebooks working at 90%+, which is where I feel it is at. There are definitely some situations that aren't handled from the core rulebooks, though they should be minimal. Support for all the power nuances and features of the additional books (including PHB2) is on the wish list.

If you can set up a new campaign where you can create the End N issue consistently, then it shouldn't take much to fix the issue.

Thanks,
JPG

PublicJohnDoe
May 29th, 2010, 15:38
Johndoe- I am curious why you don't want the effects to auto apply?
Well, nothing in particular, to be honest :)

But, apart from feats/paragon/epic abilities which negate the automatic unconscious/prone conditions at 0 hp, my group and I are quite used to turning the tokens 180 degrees for "prone", and killing monsters outright at 0 hp (at least, if they don't regenerate or other special stuff).

Actually, I didn't express myself very properly... I'm not really "against" the changes per se, more like they won't be particularly useful for me, that's all :)