PDA

View Full Version : Libraries that don't feed into modules

ProfMarks
May 23rd, 2010, 20:30
I'm looking for some technical insight.

I would like to create a library that doesn't also post the same data into the story/item/personality sections in the same way a module automatically does. I can successfully get the export to show up in the library and as individual tabs in these menu options(stories, personalities, etc), but I'd rather keep it just to the library.

I have several library modules that do exactly what I'm looking for. Outside of using a parser or some such, is there a way to use the exporter to do this?

Thanks.

Moon Wizard
May 23rd, 2010, 21:04
The built-in export function will only create entries that show up in the campaign lists. Any modules that you have seen which only appear in the library have been built manually, or using another program (such as the parser).

Regards,
JPG

ProfMarks
May 24th, 2010, 05:12
The built-in export function will only create entries that show up in the campaign lists. Any modules that you have seen which only appear in the library have been built manually, or using another program (such as the parser).

Regards,
JPG

Awesome, thanks JPG. At least now I know.

ProfMarks
May 31st, 2010, 02:16
Ok,

Good stuff and I've gone ahead and coded my library module. All is working well and I've fought through some of the challenges I encountered by looking at the forum.

One last item I can't resolve.

The images I am using still show up in the image campaign list. They are the only thing that does. Not a deal breaker, but in looking at other published library modules, images appear in the campaign list on some, but not all, so there must be a way to not.

I've coded my images using the bitmap tag within an image type=image inside an image directory. I then reference the image as a 'clickable' inside of another window reference.

ex:

<p>
<linklist>
<link class="imagewindow" recordname="image.id-00004">Rifle Ammunition</link>
</linklist>
</p>

And the image is asigned later in the document:

<id-00004>
<image type="image">
<bitmap>ammo_rifle.png</bitmap>
</image>

I appreciate any advice. Will be nice to be able to know why this is happening so future libraries can either display in the list or not as required.

Moon Wizard
May 31st, 2010, 02:25
The XML in the modules is actually defining a database structure. If that structure overlaps with the database built by the ruleset, then you will see your module entries in the campaign lists.

In this case, the images in your module are included between the <image> tags, which is what the FG and every ruleset use to store campaign image information.

If you use a different tag name for your images, you shouldn't see them appear in the campaign lists.

Cheers,
JPG

ProfMarks
May 31st, 2010, 05:32
Thanks JPG. To clarify do I:

1. Change <image type="image"> to <randomTag type="image">
or
2. Change <image type="image"> to <image type="randomTag">

Thanks again.

Moon Wizard
May 31st, 2010, 07:26
The examples from your last message are from the lowest level of the XML structure. (root->image->id-xxxxx->image)

I'm talking about the high-level XML structure. (root->image->id-xxxxx->...) You need to change the high level structure to something like (root->imagereference->id-xxxxx)

Something like this:

<root version="2.2">
<imagereference>
<id-00004>
<image type="image">
<bitmap>ammo_rifle.png</bitmap>
</image>
</id-00004>
... (other image entries) ...
</imagereference>
</root>

Regards,