PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to play? Part One: Settings

someoneinatree
May 23rd, 2010, 11:40
Here's a new poll about game preferences... Part Two is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12445).

And yes, this is multiple choice! But try to keep your votes to two or three so the results are a bit more meaningful!

malachi666
June 8th, 2010, 14:27
Hey where is Pulp on the list?!?!?!?!?

LOL

9Ton
June 14th, 2010, 01:53
I play anything you put in front of me, but mostly looking into steampunk,
cyberpunk and traditional high-fantasy right now.

someoneinatree
June 16th, 2010, 15:27
Hey where is Pulp on the list?!?!?!?!?

LOL

Lol. I would actually say that "pulp" isn't so much a genre unto itself, but a style of popular fiction that contributed to many of the genres already listed: science fiction, super heroes, fantasy, horror, westerns etc. Crime/detective however, I should probably have specified either as its own category or as part of the contemporary action/adventure/espionage genres.

VenomousFiligree
June 25th, 2010, 23:08
I went for gothic/horror, as I like a pinch of horror with all my settings! :)

umbralux
June 26th, 2010, 23:57
Need to add a few to the list...'traditional' fantasy leaves out everything from dark fantasy to urban / modern fantasy (without horror it's not gothic). I also don't see cyberpunk unless you're lumping under the generic 'science fiction'. Probably a few other categories could be added as well.

One other comment, 'comic / satirical' seems more style than setting...

someoneinatree
June 27th, 2010, 14:05
Need to add a few to the list...'traditional' fantasy leaves out everything from dark fantasy to urban / modern fantasy (without horror it's not gothic). I also don't see cyberpunk unless you're lumping under the generic 'science fiction'. Probably a few other categories could be added as well.

Unfortunately with only 10 options on a poll, its a bit hard to get every permutation and sub-genre in.

umbralux
June 28th, 2010, 04:31
Unfortunately with only 10 options on a poll, its a bit hard to get every permutation and sub-genre in.Agreed...but you could have made the existing categories generic enough to be all-inclusive. Shrug. No big deal, just pointing out that a few fairly large niches were excluded.

Xorn
June 28th, 2010, 16:43

You're forgetting Steve Jackson Games' "TOON". :D

someoneinatree
June 29th, 2010, 10:03
You're forgetting Steve Jackson Games' "TOON". :D

I actually had the GURPs version of the Terry Pratchett Discworld setting in my mind when I listed that as a genre.

VonKyrin
August 21st, 2010, 21:14
I initially checked them all, but then chose fantasy, sci-fi, and historic. But really, I'd gladly play any setting if it were well run. The plot, how deeply my character is drawn into it, and just how well its run are 100 times more important than setting or ruleset.

Sillius
August 23rd, 2010, 00:02
I actually had the GURPs version of the Terry Pratchett Discworld setting in my mind when I listed that as a genre.

I was imagining Paranoia.

JohnD
October 22nd, 2012, 00:06
Some kind of present day zombie apocalypse a la The Walking Dead.

Gold
July 23rd, 2013, 23:55
I chose Traditional Fantasy, although I would say I like homebrew "weird" fantasy settings more than archetypes.

Recently I installed FG and looking to test this Virtual playing method. I am looking for games of D&D or AD&D. Let me know if anyone is playing this type.

79% of the poll voted for Fantasy so far.

Moon Wizard
August 20th, 2013, 18:52
Closing thread due to age.
JPG