PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds: Permanent Modifier Application

sunfest
May 20th, 2010, 10:14
Hi folks,

I have a question once again: Is it possible to apply modifiers permanently for dice rolls while using the SW ruleset?

I know that PCs have the button "Apply Wound Modifiers" on their mini sheets. However, they have to click on this button EVERYTIME before rolling dice. This is kind of annoying. Moreover, it is only for wound mod application. But besides wounds PCs are influenced by a wagonload of other factors, for example mali due to too much stuff they carry around (weight excess modifier).

I there a way to apply things like this permanently to dice rolls? For example, a PC has 1 wound ( = -1) and carries two times the amount of equipment he can carry according to this STR dice type ( = -2), in sum, he has a permanent modifier of -3 on most of his rolls. How can the -3 be applied to all his dice rolls with just one click? Or does he have to apply the -3 separately for each roll?

Thanks for your help!
sun

Valarian
May 20th, 2010, 11:40
If you right-click on a skill or a stat dice box you'll see a Bonuses option in the radial menu (looks like a star over a minus). Enter a description and modifier in there and it's applied to all rolls for that stat/skill. You can add or remove modifiers as they change.

I think the wounds modifiers are already applied to rolls.

Doswelk
May 20th, 2010, 14:30
We just use the modifier entry to add all the relevant mods, also we just roll the dice and add the modifiers manually (like we do in face-to-face games).

Basically there is no way to automate all the modifiers in SW rule set (not sure if I'd want it to all the time - for example when rolling dice for an ally they will have different modifiers)

In the Savage Worlds part of the forum I posted up the xml code that adds quite a few of the basic modifiers, but no-one has added to it.

Just add that to your campaign xml file and the players can drag the modifiers they want (and the apply wound modifier button from the mini-sheet) down onto the button short cuts and press them there.

sunfest
May 20th, 2010, 16:37
Thanks for the answers!

I think the Bonus option isn't an option. ;- ) You would have to apply the modifiers to each skill/attribute and change them according to the state of your character. This is very time consuming...

I already created a list of modifiers which can be applied to the "modifier star" (left corner, below) by clicking on them. However, these modifiers (in the star) vanish after each die roll.

I think we have to do it application "manually". Anyhow, it would have been a nice feature if the program would apply every modifier relevant to the respective roll. Maybe something for the next SW ruleset version! I mean, in the PC character sheet the total weight of all items carried is also calculated by the program. So I assume that it can't be that difficult to improve the modifier application function - for the developers at least... ;- )

tdewitt274
May 21st, 2010, 13:56
I don't know anything about SW, but does anyone think that something like the 4e ruleset modifiers can be added to the Combat Tracker? However, these need to be able to be modified by the player, as well as the GM.

For example, having a Range modifier added to a person. If they're under the effects of something (like a damage modifier). I think that the Star Modifier box just doesn't cut it anymore.

mac40k
May 21st, 2010, 17:23
There's no such thing as permanent modifiers and they are only applicable as long as the circumstances that caused them to be applied in the first place continue. In your example the PC is only at -3 as long as he doesn't take another wound, heal, drop something, goes prone, moves into cover, gets a gang up bonus, or any number of other situations that cause a modifier to be applied.

The program can't possibly keep track of which modifiers are applicable to a particular PC each round. Although the program calculates weight carried, what if you drop something? Do you then remove the item from your character sheet so the program can recalculate your encumbrance and then determine if the penalty still applies, then add it back when you pick it up again? That seems more awkward than just clicking a modifier.

It's really not a lot of effort to drag or click the applicable modifiers each round as you are getting ready to roll. If it is, as Doswelk said you can just roll and do the math in your head like you would during actual live tabletop play. I think you are looking for automation where none is really needed.

Doswelk
May 21st, 2010, 18:30
For example, having a Range modifier added to a person. If they're under the effects of something (like a damage modifier). I think that the Star Modifier box just doesn't cut it anymore.

But how would the system know what range modifier to add?

Ignoring the 3D dice which were the reason I went for FG1, the thing I LOVE most about FGII is that it is so close to a desktop experience.

It doesn't require me to write scripts / program conditionals to auto calculate the modifiers for me.

I can either do the math in my head (like I do at the table), or use the comprehensive modifiers I have added to the modifier window short cut keys to do it for me.

I know some people want to have it all automated but then it's too like a video game for me. Not to mention too complicated to use.

Invain63
May 21st, 2010, 20:25
In the Savage Worlds part of the forum I posted up the xml code that adds quite a few of the basic modifiers, but no-one has added to it.
Hey! I added lots of stuff to it. Oh, yea. I didn't upload the changes. I am kind of lazy, I guess. Thanks for uploading the list, though - it was very helpful and I do appreciate the effort involved.

That said, we haven't made much use of it yet. I introduced it to the players who promptly ignored it just as they do most modifiers unless I tell them otherwise. It would be nice if the GM could add modifiers to the players roll instead of relying on them to do it.

Thanks again,

-Kevin McD

Doswelk
May 21st, 2010, 22:01
Trick I learnt for encouraging use of modifiers, if they do not add them, then they don't get them!

Of course this only applies to the positive bonuses, i will still add any negative on regardless. ;)

sunfest
May 22nd, 2010, 09:50
Okay, seems like we have to do it like in the old days or that we have to click each time on all the relevant modifiers. It might be true that once one got used to it it's handled quite quickly. However, at the moment (we just have played a few sessions with FG2) it's annoying. But doing it like Doswelk might actually improve the situation: Force the players to use the modifiers, to click a lot, and thereby speeding up the process in the end.

tdewitt274
May 22nd, 2010, 14:05
But how would the system know what range modifier to add?

Let me clarify a bit. Did my first mock combat with SW last night (on the table, not FG), so I have a little more of an idea of what I'm thinking.

Let's say I'm a Range weapon fighter and hanging in the back of the group with no intent of moving forward. I'm using a bow and I'm 14" from the target. I'm batting at a minus to hit due to range. The combat is hot and heavy, so I don't want to Aim. So, I add the modifier, take my shot, and the modifier.

Another example would be that I'm grouping with another player for an attack, I want to keep that bonus going after my attack.

Now, I'll admit that I have hardly played FG, but will these bonuses maintain from round to round?

phantomwhale
May 23rd, 2010, 18:13
I think all the stated modifiers might apply each round, but they are not a given and need to re-assessed each round (has the enemy moved ? Is he now in cover ? You might be grouping up, but what if you companion goes down ?)

Assigning common modifiers to the F-keys and quickly keying them in before a roll is a reasonable solution. Or like I do at a real table, roll the dice, and only consider modifiers if relevant (e.g. if you roll an 18, or a 1, then modifiers may not be of any importance to the result !)

sunfest
May 24th, 2010, 22:55
Assigning modifiers to the hotkeys indeed speeds the process up a bit, didn't know that, thanks whale. The only problem is that players seemingly only have 12 hotkeys (and not the alt, Ctrl, Shift additional hotkeys...) and therefore most hotkeys are probably already assigned. However, think the players just have to practice quick clicking on the modifier list...

tdewitt274
May 25th, 2010, 03:12
Valid points. However, it depends on the situations too. I guess I could manually modify the code to not clear out (did it on another ruleset), but it would be nice to have it as an option. A matter of preference really.

sunfest
May 25th, 2010, 12:22
Definetely, itwould be nice to have the option for modifiers not to clear out - things like wound modifiers can be pretty long lasting, no need to click on them for each roll over and over again.

mac40k
May 25th, 2010, 19:37
Assigning modifiers to the hotkeys indeed speeds the process up a bit, didn't know that, thanks whale. The only problem is that players seemingly only have 12 hotkeys (and not the alt, Ctrl, Shift additional hotkeys...) and therefore most hotkeys are probably already assigned. However, think the players just have to practice quick clicking on the modifier list...

Not sure what you may be doing wrong, but all four banks of hot keys should be available.

sunfest
May 25th, 2010, 21:29
For _me_ everything works the way it shoud work, but my players told me that they only have only one hotkey bank - but they are still a little clumsy in handling the program. So there is no difference between lite and full version with regard to hotkey banks? Both versions have 4 banks? Seems like I have to do some teaching again...

Griogre
May 25th, 2010, 22:28
Yes, each player has 96 hot keys. There are actually 8 banks because you can hold down two and and three key combos. It's quite rare that anyone needs more than 3 or 4 banks though.