PDA

View Full Version : FG2 Doesn't Save

Quoven
May 18th, 2010, 06:25
Firstly I apologize if anyone else asked this, I did a search and didn't see anything that really matched my problem, which is that I can't seem to keep settings or characters. I updated the program, and click the "Manage Characters" button, 4E, and start, then I create a new character, fill in all the information on the character sheet, but it doesn't save. I can close the program and then re-open it and it will still be there, but if I turn off my computer everything gets erased, even the color of the dice. If it matters, the program is installed to my external Hard Drive, rather than my Internal one...

Windows XP Home Edition, as far as I know all my drivers are up to date... If I need to take any screenshots or anything I will.

Edit: I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, and it seems to be working now. Thanks for your replies and help :)

Valarian
May 18th, 2010, 10:09
Have you tried looking in the characters folder for XML files. If the characters you've created are there, then they will show up when you start up a campaign using the same ruleset, as local characters. Alternatively, they will appear in the character list when you connect to a game using the ruleset as a player.

I'm not sure that the colour of the dice, or portraits, are stored from the Manage Characters option - or even whether that particular ruleset supports locally created characters, not all do.

Quoven
May 18th, 2010, 16:21
The only files in the characters folder are Foundation.xml and 4E.xml, if that helps any

Spyke
May 18th, 2010, 19:25
The only files in the characters folder are Foundation.xml and 4E.xml, if that helps any
Your characters should be in the 4e.xml file, though I can't figure out yet why they're not reappearing when you restart.

Spyke

Quoven
May 18th, 2010, 21:00
As far as I can tell there's nothing in the 4e.xml, all that I can find in it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
<root version="2.6" />

I don't know if I'm not opening it right or what, but from just double clicking, that's all that comes up.

Oberoten
May 19th, 2010, 09:58
If they open in Internet Exploder it'll not show the entire file if there is broken XML. This is often used as a test to see if the XML has been damaged.

Now, the big question is what has happened to damage the files. I would ask if you use any of the big no-nos aka < > and & or other non base latin characters in any way on the input characters.

Something has obviously gone wrong.

- Obe

Moon Wizard
May 19th, 2010, 21:27
Try deleting the 4E.xml file, and starting from scratch. Just create a single character, give it a simple name ("BOB"), and then exit.

What does your 4E.xml file look like after that?

When I do that on my machine, I get:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.6">
</root>

Thanks,
JPG

Valarian
May 20th, 2010, 08:52
I added rolls in to the character sheet and the character saved okay. The XML File was viewed through WordPad, not Internet Explorer. I tend to just view XML in text editors.