PDA

View Full Version : Super Noob Question

Kagoni
May 17th, 2010, 19:06
Hello all,

I have been perusing the forums for a couple days now reading about different tricks, mods, and ways of doing things. Most of this has consisted of 3.5e ruleset information.

Well, recently my group and I decided to convert over to the 4e ruleset and ended up purchasing the full version of the program (multiple licenses for the group). Unfortunately, when I load it up, I attempt to create a new campaign using the 4e ruleset and when it opens I have no books to reference on rules.

As I said in the title, this is probably self explanatory and I am simply missing it, but I was unable to locate the files in the local directory for 4e rules, unable to find a link to DL the 4e books, and also not able to find a purchasable supplement for the 4e ruleset/MM/PHB.

I have full updated the program, I have the full version, and I have successfully used it with the 3.5e basic book, DM book, and MM book.

Any help in locating these files, what I am doing wrong, or linking to the actual book I can purchase would be great. If I need to install it in a specific file in the directory, a quick explanation would also help.

Thanks again

Kagoni

King Joey
May 17th, 2010, 20:14
I don't really know since I don't play 4e, but I seem to recall that whatever arrangement allowed for the creation of the 3.5e library modules (the books) does not exist or does not apply for 4e.

There are others who know far, far more about this than I do, but this is the best answer I can give you right now. If I'm right, then you'll just have to muddle through using the actual books as a reference and without the automated access. I've done that with other games, though, and it's not that bad. It's not much different than having to look stuff up like you normally would playing around an actual table.

Good luck!

EugeneZ
May 17th, 2010, 23:10
The problem is that the 3.5 "books" are actually a compilation of the material that WotC released for free under a special license. Basically it allows companies like Smiteworks to provide a lot of the book info from 3.5. But for 4e, WotC changed these licenses significantly to, among other things, prevent this type of usage. There are no free, legal modules available for FG2 (or any other software) that reproduce the core rulebooks.

However, all is not lost! You can make your own modules using a tool developed by Tenian. It's a combination of scraper and parser. A DDI account is required (and now you're starting to understand why WotC changed their licensing scheme...) and you're good to go. There are tons of instructions all over the forums, like here:

https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Creating_Modules

Hope that helps.