PDA

View Full Version : Learning the interface : )

Seran
May 15th, 2010, 11:48
I ran a campaign for my group last night and it went very well.

However, I do have a few questions on the FG client and some ease of access things.

1. Targetting. I know players can target my monsters to make it easier for me to track damage, but how do I track monsters? For example, I have 6 kobold minions on the board. When it's kobold 1's turn, how do I tell it apart from all the others? The only way I was able to distinguish the difference was making them visible/invisible. I'm sure there's an easier way that I'm overlooking. But it's really confusing tracking about 20 of the same enemy.

2. Set number damage. I'm not sure how to deal with set damage or a monsters critical on a player. I manually just added the critical damage to the players current HP. So if a player had 40 hp and took 10 critical damage, I'd just change the players HP to 30. Or if I had to deal a set number of damage to something by hazard, say 5 falling damage. I would just modify the enemies HP, because I'm not sure how to make a static "5" damage.

C. Ongoing damage, I guess it isn't much of a problem, but is there a easier way to track it then by sheer memory? I usually have to remind my players to take damage and make saves at appropriate times.

4. I'm not sure where players can record their racial bonus. We just used "Misc." in the defenses Tab, but when it came time for temp. buffs, it got very confusing.

5. Elemental damage. If a player falls in lava (: D. How do I set the damage as fire type?

6. Tokens tokens. My players tokens seem to be much smaller than my monsters. The players are about 25x25, whereas most of my monsters are 50x50 (Medium size of course).

Thanks for listening : )
Hope some of this can be made easier for me.
Even if not, FG has been an amazing tool overall, and I plan to use it for many years to come.

Moon Wizard
May 15th, 2010, 18:53
Let me know if you have any other questions. Also, you should take a look at the 4E manual to learn about all the features available.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/

Here is what I have for your specifics questions:

1. The active creature is highlighted by a transparent white circle when it becomes active. There is already an active feature request to make the circle brighter or customizable.

2. If you have the creature's powers set up on the NPC sheet in the same format as the rulebooks, then you simply need to hold the SHIFT key when activating a damage roll to make it a critical damage roll. For static damage, try using "/die 5 Falling damage" to create a chat entry, then drag to the PC's wounds field.

3. Again, if you have the creature's powers set up on the NPC sheet in the same format as the rulebooks, then you can just drag the ongoing damage clause onto the affected creature. See the manual for information on how to enter the ongoing damage effect manually.

4. Temporary buffs can be applied to most fields by scrolling the mouse wheel when hovering over the "total" field. You may need to hold the CTRL key while using the mouse wheel depending on your option settings. Also, you can drag and drop a number onto the field to set a temporary value. Finally, effects can be applied to modify many attributes by simply dragging from a power description, or entering manually using the information from the manual.

5. Dragging from a power description is the easiest way to do this. To do it manually, try "/die 10 Lava Damage [TYPE: fire]"

6. The best long-term solution is to rescale the player's tokens to 50x50 to match all your other tokens. For the short-term, you can scale any token linked to the combat tracker by using the mouse wheel while hovering over the token in the combat tracker window. Again, you may need to hold the CTRL key, depending on your options.

Hope that helps,
JPG

Seran
May 15th, 2010, 19:06
Awesome. Thanks a ton moon : )