PDA

View Full Version : Library

Kurald
May 13th, 2010, 14:59
Hi,

I want to run a campaign using FG II and the GURPS ruleset. Thank you for that. I'd like to create some additional modules containing the items and such that are available to the players.

Can you give me a hint on how to get started?

e.g. How do I create a mod that contains all the handguns I need for my cyberpunk campaign?

Spyke
May 13th, 2010, 19:18
Hi Kurald,

The ruleset doesn't have the ability to drag items to your players' sheets, so there's limited benefit in preparing a module with the equipment. You could set them up as items, with the text in the shared block, or simply as long lists on story pages, and share them as required. Both of those could be created as modules within the program just by using the /export command. Otherwise you'd need to create a reference module by hand using xml. There's advice elsewhere on the boards for that, but it would be good if we could find the time to put a tutorial together for the GURPS ruleset. I'm rushing a bit at the moment. The hand-crafted version is more what you're looking for.

Another approach would be to create a PC (particularly using GCA) with all the equipment and then share that with the players.

Has anyone got the time to create an equipment reference module with some dummy items that people could edit?

Spyke

Kurald
May 13th, 2010, 22:43
First: Thank you for your ruleset.
Second: If I can help, let me know.

My campaign will have a lot of ranged weapons. Is it possible to add a weapons page to the items (e.g. one for ranged, one for melee weapons). The best would be if you could drag&drop these onto character sheets and using them to calculate damage automatically.

What would I need to do to add this to your ruleset - just an advice where to start would be great. Do I need lua scripting for this?

peterb
May 13th, 2010, 22:58
What would I need to do to add this to your ruleset - just an advice where to start would be great. Do I need lua scripting for this?

Yes you do. Some rulesets do have drag & dropable items (the d20_JPG ruleset for example).

You need to create a file called "reference_basicclasses.xml" and add a refrence class for equipment lists.

Add something like this to reference.xml:

<root version="2.0">
<includefile source="reference_basicclasses.xml" />
</root>

Then create the file.

Download the d20_JPG ruleset and check out the files of that ruleset.

Finally you need to make the inventory accept drag & drops of items.

/Peter

Spyke
May 14th, 2010, 10:14
Changing the ruleset to allow drag and drop of inventory items would be tricky. We've just been discussing it in the last few posts of this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=90021#post90021

Spyke

Spyke
May 14th, 2010, 10:20
... using them to calculate damage automatically.
This would be a violation of the SJG online policy which prohibits automatation of the game mechanics.

Spyke

Kurald
May 14th, 2010, 10:53
If I publish it - yes. For private purpose - no. I don't need a license for private purpose only.

Another question that popped up: Is it possible to enable both - hex & square grid? How?

Spyke
May 14th, 2010, 12:05
Another question that popped up: Is it possible to enable both - hex & square grid? How?
Yes, when you change the grid type preference it will apply from then on to any new grid you create. Existing maps will continue to use the type of grid they have currently, but if you were to delete that grid and create a new one it would pick up the new preference.

So you can have a campaign with some maps with hex grids and others with square ones.

Spyke

Kurald
May 14th, 2010, 13:47
I have to play around a little bit with your converter. I also looked at the way, the 3.5 Charsheet was made. I like the dice-control for the damage of the weapons. And adding some stats to the modifier.

This would be nice for weapons like assault rifles. You type in all the stats, drop the correct number of dice into the damage box. when you click on acc, you get your modifier and you can grab the damage easily as well.

I guess, as a test I'll add an extra combat sheet to try it. If I succeed, I'll send it to you and you can decide if you want to integrate it or not.