PDA

View Full Version : categoryselectioncontrol

Fenloh
May 13th, 2010, 09:04
Hi all,
some time ago i asked about the Categoryselectioncontrol. I did not understand anything at that time. Now I understand a bit more, but i am still having trouble.

The Categoryselectioncontrol works fine for the Host.

Example, I put the categoryselectoncontrol at the bottom of the inventorylist. The host can now drag and drop an inventoryitem (a control was created that is dragable) on the categoryselction control. The Database is changed accordingly and works like a jiffy.

The shortcutdata of the Dragcontrol was set to the windowclass and the inventorylist ID. (Host and Client set the same Data)

The Problem is, that all those nifty things are not being transfered to the client and back.

How does the Categoryselectioncontrol works on the Clientside?

I helped myself so far, that i created a set of subwindows and the player can drag and drop items from one into another, but the categoryselectioncontrol has more features :). Any Chance to get the Categoryselectioncontrol to work for Client and host?

Fenloh

Foen
May 13th, 2010, 15:50
I, too, have tried this and it seems the categoryselectioncontrol doesn't work on the client :(

Foen

Zeus
May 13th, 2010, 17:24
That would explain why a categoryselectioncontrol has never been added to the Notes, Effects and Modifiers windowclasses in the 4E ruleset.

I wonder if its a constraint around the window hosting the control and the database node ownership in that the host owns the root node and can therefore create/delete nodes through the selectioncontrol whereas the clients don't have ownership rights and therefore cannot support the selectioncontrol?

Perhaps one of the devs could enlighten us?

Foen
May 13th, 2010, 21:15
That would explain why a categoryselectioncontrol has never been added to the Notes, Effects and Modifiers windowclasses in the 4E ruleset.

It was Notes that really called out for it to me (and where I previously tried): having each player's notes on a separate tab would be really handy.

Foen

Fenloh
May 13th, 2010, 22:25
Well Foen, the Categoryselectioncontrol works for the Host, you can place each Note in a different Tab, just the Players cant use it for themselves. You can place the control and make it visible for the gm only.

But that was the eyopener, why it cant work for the players, because each selection control would need to be a different one or act on a different "level".

It seems that i have to live with the Workaround.

Fenloh

Moon Wizard
May 14th, 2010, 02:05
I had talked with someone else about the category selection control with regards to notes specifically, and the result of that conversation is that the best solution was to implement a custom control that used the category graphics and filtered by user name.

I would offer the same advice for building a custom inventory management control.

The challenge with customizing the usage of categoryselectioncontrols (on the client or otherwise) is that the categories are a unique modifier to a database tree, instead of being part of the database hierarchy. (which is not what you would expect from looking at the db.xml file) Therefore, the categoryselectioncontrol is specifically designed for use in this unique manner, which essentially prevents it from being used as a generic filtering control.

Cheers,
JPG

Foen
May 14th, 2010, 06:06
Well Foen, the Categoryselectioncontrol works for the Host, you can place each Note in a different Tab, just the Players cant use it for themselves. You can place the control and make it visible for the gm only.

Yep, I just wanted it to work for the players as well: in my rulesets, players can see each others' notes if they are marked 'public'. If I create further rulesets, I'll probably do as JPG suggests.

Foen