PDA

View Full Version : Rappan Athuk Romp (3.5) Wednesday Game

xaotik1
May 13th, 2010, 00:02
Hey all, just digging through a few of my old modules and I had the biting urge to dig out a classic and pump it into FG. Rappan Athuk, the Dungeon of Graves. The intro says it all :)

Once upon a time, there was an idea—an idea formulated by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson in 1974 and published in a little paperback book called Underworld Adventures. The idea was simple: it is a lot of fun to go into a dungeon and kill evil monsters. Why is the dungeon there? No one knows. Why do the monsters usually fight rather than talk? We aren’t really sure. Why are there 16 trolls in a cave with a jug of alchemy? No one cares. What do all the monsters eat? We don’t know that either (although “adventurer” probably tops the list). And we don’t have to know these things. This isn’t an ecology experiment, it’s a dungeon—the quintessential setting for pure adventuring.

This is intended to be a light RP dungeon crawl, though I have no problems if anyone wishes to dedicate more time to roleplay. I've added a few things here and there, modified what I wanted to make it a bit more to my liking, and am here to present it you in all (or at least most) of it's glory.

The link below should lead to the calendar page, but if it doesn't work for you, just look up Rappan Athuk Romp.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=492

Character creation is fairly simple. All characters should start at level 4. You have the choice of a 32 point buy for stats, or you may take a risk and roll them in FG. 4d6 drop lowest. If you choose to roll them, you are stuck with them though, good or bad, be warned :) 6000 GP to equip as you like, magical gear is just fine. Content from PHB, PHB II, DMG, and DMG II are all allowed without question. Any supplemental goodies must be passed by me before you use them though. I'm not barring them by any stretch of the imagination, but I will tell you right now that anything that adds extra mechanics to the game (IE Book of Nine Swords) will likely be turned down. Heck, I don't even mind if you use monsters as characters, provided you have at least one class level. One universal restriction only. . .NO EVIL CHARACTERS.

This will very likely be hard on your characters, and many of the encounters inside the dungeon will seriously strain your tactical thinking and survivability. In fact, I suggest making a number of characters if you are going to join. . .god only knows I ended up going through 4 different characters on my first run through :)

I'm setting this up as a Wednesday weekly game, 5pm central time. End time will depend on the wishes of the players. I'm going to be fairly firm on the day and time due to potential scheduling issues with a number of other activities.

VarnFury
May 13th, 2010, 10:25
Ahh Rappan athuk... the days of when Albert and grelk ran together down them halls of doom. Only survivers to go in more then dozen times. Ha.

xaotik1
May 13th, 2010, 12:47
Heh. . .I was actually going to use Grelk as an NPC for this time around :)

Chappy
May 13th, 2010, 14:10
Ooooo.. Sounds exciting. :) What length of time do you envision this game taking? Is this a 2-hour game, or a 5-hour game, or what?

xaotik1
May 13th, 2010, 21:04
Definitely hoping for more than 2, but it really depends on what the players want. I'd aim for about 4 hours, and no more than 5 hours, tops, regardless. 5pm to 10pm at the latest (central time).

Edit:
OK. . . that's 3 players so far, one experienced hand, one totally new to the module, and one unknown. . . I would prefer to get 3 more still, but I am willing to press ahead with only 4 characters if really need be. . .likely to be really hard on the characters in question though :dead:

blondejohn
September 22nd, 2010, 13:35
Did the game ever get started? Despite the number of character of mine that died and how many times my mystic theurge came close to dying, I still enjoyed it.

Spooner
September 23rd, 2010, 05:53
I'd like in. Ordinarily, i wouldn't go for wednesday nights because i technically could get called in for work, however, for the past 4 weeks i've had wednesday off, which, to me, seems like that is going to be the trend until christmas time seeing as more than half of the people at my work are also students of some category or another.

Cordin Firesnap at your service! Wizard extraodinare!

Raen_777
September 23rd, 2010, 13:52
I'd also like in if there is still a slot available. I'm available pretty much any time you need me and no 3.5 very well. Sign me up!

l1wolf
September 23rd, 2010, 15:11
This game was ran and has ended.

blondejohn
September 24th, 2010, 11:53
Geez. Sorry to everyone but I didn't intend to imply that the game was still occuring. I played with xaotik when Griogre ran "Rappan" a few years back. It wasn't clear from the first posts if Xaotik had found enough people. I was used to Griogre posting the results of each game afterwards.

Griogre
September 25th, 2010, 01:02
LOL, I see at least some of those posts are still on the forums here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/search.php?searchid=358539
Geeze, 2006.

And here's a post with an old screen of a fight with both Grelk and Athena - I even remember this fight - this was after the Hookah and Athena staying pressed to the ceiling. ;)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=47819&postcount=1

Spooner
September 25th, 2010, 03:46
T.T :ninja: :pirate: :hurt: :cry: :(

blondejohn
September 25th, 2010, 03:53
Yeah..I vaguely recall this session. Didn't Grelk disturb a body covered with yellow mold at the end of the tunnel in area 9? I only can recall some parts of sessions now. What I do recall more is all the asides and on-going "jokes" that we had during my time in the campaign: the " 'discount' potion emporium"

xaotik1
October 5th, 2010, 22:11
I have to apologize for the end of this game. My wife died near the end of the first module, and I just haven't been up to running it since. Too bad too. . .we'd just gotten a clan of kender to infest the shrine as well. . .maybe I can reopen it again sometime in the future. . .

blondejohn
October 9th, 2010, 17:47
Xaotik,

I am so sorry to hear about your wife. My sincerest condolences.

BJ

Griogre
October 10th, 2010, 09:04
Sorry to hear that, xaotik1 - you have my deepest sympathy.