PDA

View Full Version : To Ultimate or not to Ulimate

xolok
May 12th, 2010, 18:59
Hi folks!

I'm completely new to this program, but I have read a lot of recommendations to use it for the online D&D 4e game I want to play with my friends.

Here's the situation:
Several friends of mine would like to play D&D 4e on a virtual table-top. We discussed using a webcam or some free programs, but we don't really have the time to fiddle all that much with the program trying to get it to work.

So... Question #1: How hassle-free would it be to set up a 4e campaign in Fantasy Grounds 2? Keeping in mind that I'm totally new to the program.

Next, if I just got the Ultimate version, would the rest of my friends only need the demo version or something? I'm puzzled as to what an "unregistered" client is. How crummy is the demo version? The Ultimate version is costly so I'm trying to gauge how much value there is to it.

Next, 2 of my friends and I are likely to switch up who is paying as DM. Would we all need full or ultimate clients or could we theoretically just change whatever client we were booting up depending on who was doing what?

Thanks for all the help!

Jason

EugeneZ
May 12th, 2010, 23:56
The demo app is not the unregistered app. The unregistered app is identical to Lite, except it can only connect to users with Ultimate versions, whereas the Lite can connect to both Full and Ultimate.

Buying a "Full" license for yourself and a lite license for each of your friends offers the same exact functionality as buying an ultimate version for yourself and having your friends use the unregistered app. The difference (that you pay the extra money for) is that if your players change or you want to host more games later on, you never need to buy more lite licenses for people. In addition, you lose control of the lite licenses once you give them to your friends -- whether they pay you back or not, that key is now theirs. With the ultimate version, you are paying more money but you retain complete ownership of your purchase.

Hope that helps.

CAPryde
May 13th, 2010, 01:39
If someone else in your group might eventually DM, it would make more sense to get Full and Lite licenses. When the next person is ready to take over, he or she can then upgrade the Lite license to Full and be ready to go.

As far as learning the program, I would suggest checking out one of the video tutorials. I found them extremely helpful for learning the system--better than the demo, which shows you some things, but can be a little clunky and buggy.

tdewitt274
May 13th, 2010, 01:40
In your case, you'll probably want to go the Full/Lite option versus the Ultimate. This is because you'll be swapping DM duties. If they didn't swap out, the Ultimate would probably be the way to go (group size depending).

Of course, if the DMs are relatively close by, you could try another option. Load an Ultimate on the "DM PC" and loan out the computer* to another user (come over to your place and use it, or physically transferring the PC). The other DMs may want to have their own Full license because it would make it easier to create their own campaigns.

*poster is not responsible for lost or stolen computers. Void where prohibited ;)

mac40k
May 14th, 2010, 20:43
Others have probably already adequately answered, but I'll try to sum up anyway.

A person with an unregistered app can only ever be a player and only in a game run by someone with an Ultimate license.

A person with a Lite license can only ever by a player, but is not dependent on the GM having an Ultimate license.

A person with a Full license can be a player or a GM and can host for anyone except those with an unregistered app.

A person with an Ultimate license can be a player or a GM and can host for anyone without requiring them to have their own Lite or Full license.

The Ultimate license was designed for the evangelical among us that want to be able to demo the product and help spread the word. It's also not a bad option for a dedicated group that has no interest in branching out to play in games run by others.

A Lite license is okay if you will only ever want to be a player, but want the flexibility to be able to join a variety of games.

Everyone else should just get the Full license.

TheMetal1
May 15th, 2010, 23:50
but we don't really have the time to fiddle all that much with the program trying to get it to work

Nobody has mentioned it, but it is important for you to know. As the GM - not the player mind you, just the GM - there is some...involement...in setting up a game for others to use.

If you've never done any networking, this, while not difficult, can be a nightmare the first time. Speaking from personal experience, as a complete noob, it took me a week or two to figure it out. But thanks to good folks here in the forums they walked me through it. Now it's less than a couple of minutes check and I'm ready to go - if that. The key is setting up 'Port Forwarding' on your home network. For me anyway, that meant calling the cable company and getting the password access server I use and then setting up a 'hole' that others can log into to play the game. Again, it is actually quite easy, but can be intimidating if your starting out.

Doing it all over again, I'd go with Ultimate liscense. FGII is a great program, and I really love it, just got doing playing a game of Castles & Crusades with a buddy over in UK with it. Well worth, but wanted you to know they'll be a little muddling with setting up the server thing.

wbcreighton
May 18th, 2010, 06:52
What is an unregistered app ?

Leonal
May 18th, 2010, 06:58
What is an unregistered app ?

There's a check-box when installing FG that lets you select "unregistered." It will only allow you to connect to GMs with the Ultimate license.