PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to start a 3.5 D&D Campaign

sarya
May 11th, 2010, 08:34
Hey there,

I can't seem to find anything on the FAQ's or around the site what the best way to create a 3.5 D&D Campaign is. I hear that the set that comes with the purchased Full copy is buggy and I shouldn't be using it? (As in ticking '3.5E' when you try to create a campaign.)

Can anyone walk me through what I should be using and how? (And whether or not I should be using 3.5E from the basic install)

Thanks ever so much.

S.

Andrepartthree
May 11th, 2010, 14:41
I've been told to use the d20 ruleset instead of 3.5 ... I'd also recommend going to xorn's tutorials, I'm a newbie to FG too as a DM - basically I did everything Xorn said except for the part about having the tokens at 100 pixels then resizing them down to 50 for the maps - I found it easier to just leave the tokens at 50 pixels for a medium sized creature ;) (100 pixels for a large sized creature, et cet) ... Xorn's tutorials can be found by going to the "downloads" link (see near the top of this web page, words in blue where it says "downloads" ) , then going to xorn's tutorials near the bottom right corner of that web page where it says "community tutorials" ...

sarya
May 11th, 2010, 15:41
Thanks so much for the info - really appreciate it! I took am extremely new to FG.

Quick clarification though - when you say to use the D20 instead of 3.5 - do you mean the one that came with the package?

sarya
May 11th, 2010, 17:46
Anyone know which D20 file I'm supposed to be using? Sorry for asking this twice but I really need an answer for tonight:)

As mentioned, I'm running a 3.5 D&D campaign and need to know what ruleset to setup (and where to get it)

Thanks so much

sarya
May 11th, 2010, 19:02
A little more info -

I tried using the D20 download from the downloads page:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/

But then when I click 'create campaign' and select 'D20' as the ruleset the following happens:

1) there are less options for the DM (ie. no preferences, etc.) - in other words, the little buttons up in the right hand corner have about 4 less buttons.

2) the books don't load for my players (do they need to also install the D20?) Even when I load 3.5E - and put 'force load' for all the books, they only see Basic Rules and Spells. Am I missing something?

--

What I am curious about though is that when I now load a 3.5 Campaign by clicking 3.5E it also has the D20 books available to add/remove as well. But when I load a D20 campaign, I only see the D20 books. Maybe I've just installed this thing wrong?
--

Basically - starting from scratch - Can anyone show me what I need to do to create a campaign and have the correct rulesets available and open to run a 3.5 D&D campaign!

Thanks!!