PDA

View Full Version : This is entirely new to me

Agora
May 5th, 2010, 07:40
Hey everyone, as the title states I am entirely new to this. "This", more specifically, being D&D online. I've been playing D&D for just about 10 years now (pretty much all 3rd and 3.5) though I am absolutely tired with that edition. As soon as 4e hit the shelves I bought up as much material as possible.

Problem

Absolutely no one in this area plays, considering I'm friends with a good # of the roleplayers here and they all migrated to Pathfinder. I simply don't have a way to play, and I really really Really want to play >_<

I'm 22, very flexible when it comes to what roles I can play, and I am extremely willing to work with other players as well as the DM when it comes to making a character that fits, be it mechanicaly, conceptually, or both. I get very into roleplaying, more so then most people I know, descriptions are sort of my thing. At the same time I'm not a spotlight hog, and I work well with others. Umm, I believe in using tactics in combat as well as out of it, and working with the party is the whole reason I converted to 4e

I have yet to take the plunge and get the FG2 liscence, but I wanted to post on here to see if any 1st level games were starting up in need on some players. I see it's the typical problem of 1 DM to every 100 players, so I can be quite patient. If a game is a bit higher level, I don't mind joining that, I just want the full experience is all >_<

From what I'm reading it takes a bit to get the FG2 up and running, and since I'm not very good at programming or really anything computer related it could take me upwards of a week to get everything straight once I purchased it. After that though I should be golden, so just let me know if you've got any games going and when.

Oh..oops, speaking of when. I live in the US, Mass (eastern time zone..I think?). I'm available just about any time Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I can work out something on the other days. My shedule at work is very up and down, but shoot me a timeframe and I'll see what I can do ^_^

Moon Wizard
May 6th, 2010, 08:11
Be sure to keep an eye out in the Guild House and 4E forums for any 4E games looking for players. As you mentioned, there are lots of players, and not enough GMs to go around. Also, we have been working on improvements to the game calender, so you might try seeing if some of the recent games are looking for players.

As for programming ability, you don't need any programming ability to get the software set up on your machine. You just enter your name and the address of the GM's machine, and join a game. If you decide to host your own game, you may need to set up port forwarding.

The best way to prepare yourself for a game is to know the game rules, and to read the FG manual in the Library section (for 3.5E and 4E campaigns).

If you have any questions as you are figuring everything out, just post on the boards and there are lots of great people in the community that can help.

Happy adventuring,
JPG

Agora
May 6th, 2010, 18:53
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it ^_^ One thing I'm a bit curious about is "Parsing". I see that thrown around a lot on here and I don't quite understand what it is >_<

Moon Wizard
May 6th, 2010, 23:36
One of the members of the community has built a parser application that allows a person with the official PDFs or a DDI account to create FG data modules with 4E material. Given that Wizards of the Coast (owner of 4E) does not allow distribution of 4E data, this unofficial method is the only way to get access to 4E reference material in your games.

You don't need to parse the books to play with FG, it just makes some portions of character management easier since you will have less to type into your character sheet.

Cheers,
JPG

dm-crazy
May 7th, 2010, 00:11
Look at here a amazing Tutorial (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11322) ;)

dm-crazy
May 7th, 2010, 00:12
U can get the parser HERE (https://dnd-4e.blogspot.com/) :p

Agora
May 7th, 2010, 07:25
Thanks for the info guys, I'll be buying the FGII software as soon as rent gets payed. I look forward to testing this out, and should I get used to it and enjoy it you can add me to the roster of DMs. I just really really REALLY want to play a little first. At least 80% of my play experience is as a DM, and I just want to be a PC for a change >_<

joshuha
May 7th, 2010, 12:47
Thanks for the info guys, I'll be buying the FGII software as soon as rent gets payed. I look forward to testing this out, and should I get used to it and enjoy it you can add me to the roster of DMs. I just really really REALLY want to play a little first. At least 80% of my play experience is as a DM, and I just want to be a PC for a change >_<

If you are around from about 6-10 PM EST tonight I have an ultimate license and could demo the software for you a bit.

Agora
May 8th, 2010, 03:59
Aww lame, I need to check this more often >_< If there's another time a few days from now, I'd absolutely love to demo it. I'm probably gonna pick it up one way or the other, but playing it first would just be so much better. I really want to actually play as a PC, but I must admit my DMs instinct is going nuts over the potential here.

EDIT: Actually, if you'll be on at all tonight I could still do it, just not sure what your schedule be. I'll be on for the next few hours.

joshuha
May 8th, 2010, 11:28
Aww lame, I need to check this more often >_< If there's another time a few days from now, I'd absolutely love to demo it. I'm probably gonna pick it up one way or the other, but playing it first would just be so much better. I really want to actually play as a PC, but I must admit my DMs instinct is going nuts over the potential here.

EDIT: Actually, if you'll be on at all tonight I could still do it, just not sure what your schedule be. I'll be on for the next few hours.

I won't be around tonight as I am attending a SQLSaturday event in Jacksonville. I should be around for a demo sometime Sunday night if you are available.

Agora
May 8th, 2010, 14:57
I won't be around tonight as I am attending a SQLSaturday event in Jacksonville. I should be around for a demo sometime Sunday night if you are available.

Sunday I'll be available pretty much any time past 7pm EST. I hate working late cuz that's actually pretty early for me >_< Hopefully it's not too late for you. Either way I appreciate the offer very much

Agora
May 10th, 2010, 03:27
There's not any chance you're around is there? I'll be one for a few more hours, if you see this let me know. I'll check back here every now and again just in case